Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs April 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
In Supreme Court, petitioned by All India Human Rights and Social Justice to claim the Kohinoor Diamond and Ring and Sword of Tipu Sultan from the Britain which were brought.
- The case was headed by the Chief Justice of India Mr Thakur and Mr Ranjith Kumar, Solicitor General stands on Government side.
- Government explained to the Supreme Court that the Kohinoor Diamond was gifted to the Britain by Maharaja Ranjith Singh.
Culture and Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma released a Commemorative Coin of Rs. 200/– and a Circulation Coin of Rs. 10/- on Tatya Tope on the occasion of his Martyr Day.
- Ministry of Culture has been celebrating the 200th Birth Anniversary of Tatya Tope during 2015-16 in association with State Government of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh respectively.
- Maharashtra government has organized the Inaugural Function at Shaniwar Wada at Pune on February this year. Before that, a three day Mahotsav named Shaurya Mahotsav was held from 26 February 2016.
Union Minister of Power, Coal and New and Renewable Energy PiyushGoyal released Report of the Technical Committee on Large Scale Integration of Renewable Energy in India.
- Ministry of Power constituted a high level Technical Committee was with members from, Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC), Central Electricity Authority (CEA), renewable rich states like Gujarat, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Various Organisations.
- The Committee has published a 15 point Action Plan for facilitating large scale integration of renewable in the country, in a secure and reliable manner.
New Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies launched in New Delhi
Centre for Ganga River Basin Management and Studies (CGRBMS) formally launched in New Delhi .
- It was launched by Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation with Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (IITK)
- The Ministry signed a 10 year Memorandum of Agreement with IITK for provision of continual scientific support in the implementation and dynamic evolution of the Ganga River Basin Management Plan.
About CGRBMS :
The centre will work as a Think-tank to coordinate all activities within the Ganga river basin, including science, technology, research, innovation, social and investment related aspects.
EU approves anti-terror plan to collect air passenger information
European Union lawmakers approved a scheme, to share airline passenger information.
- The scheme is used to track foreign fighters travelling to and from conflict areas like Syria.
- Passenger Name Record law was approved at the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France, by 461 votes to 179, with nine abstentions.
- Under the scheme, law enforcement agencies in all 28 nations would have access to traveller details gathered by airlines, including names, travel dates, itineraries, and credit card details.
BANKING & FINANCE
Uttar Pradesh has claimed the most favoured investment destination of PPP Projects, as it took top spot with the highest share of about 15 per cent in PPP projects across India, followed by Maharashtra and Gujarat, According to the Assocham-SREI
- The study named PPP Investment in Indian Infrastructure: Need for growth and development has suggested to the government the setting up of an independent Uttar Pradesh tops in PPP project investments institution for overall co-ordination and management of PPP projects in the country.
Phillipines based Multi Lateral Financing Agency and Uttar Pradesh Government shared their contributions to enhance the Road Connectivity of about 400 Kms in major district in Uttar Pradesh State.
Budget: $ 300 million by Asian Development Bank & $128 million by Uttar Pradesh State Government
Intelligence Bureau and Central Bureau of Investigation Officials were felt difficulty in probing the Fraudulent and Money Laundering cases where the bank transactions details were provided with different Formats by different Banking Sectors
- It would cause wastage of Manpower and Time. About 11,997 were registered in relating to frauds in the name of Siphoned.
- Banks were advised to share all the transactions details in standard format so that Revenue Intelligence and Central Security agencies to probe the money laundering and financial fraud Cases.
Panasonic, US-based AES to install India’s first energy storage project in Haryana
- This is the first large-scale battery-based energy storage project of India.
- Both the firms have entered into an agreement to set up a battery-based energy storage project at Panasonic’s Techno park manufacturing facility at Jhajjar.
DVC To Form JV With Neyveli Lignite For Raghunathpur Plant
Public Sector Player Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC) and Public company Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) are planning a joint venture to bring 2×600 MW Raghunathpur thermal power project.
- DVC losses put up at Rs. 1,334 crores in 2014-15 was to divide off the plant due to its huge debt servicing obligation of about Rs.50 crores monthly
- The Joint venture of two units of 1200 MW Raghunathpur project have already on track commercial operation on March 31 this year but the DVC has power purchase agreements of only 550 MW.
Flipkart ties up with Godrej Interio for furniture vertical
Flipkart partnership with Godrej to offer complete collection of furniture to its customers.
- It will enable customers to access an exclusive and unique range of furniture which includes designs for living room, dining room and bedroom.
- The online furniture market is valued at USD 130 million and is expected to grow at a compounded annual rate of 75 per cent and reach over USD 700 million by 2020, according to industry experts.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
IRFC appoints lead managers for offshore Masala bonds issue
funds for the Indian Railways, has appointed lead managers to issue offshore bonds or rupee-denominated bonds(Masala bonds).
- The lead managers are JP Morgan, Deutsche, BNP Paribas, HSBC, Stanchart and SBI Caps.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
JK Tyres acquires Cavendish Industries for Rs 2200 crore
New Delhi based JK Asia Pacific group has acquired of Cavendish Industries Ltd. The acquisition has been backed by a combination of internal accruals and debt.
- The acquisition is at an Enterprise Value of Rs 2200 crore. CIL will be a subsidiary of JK Tyre with majority shareholdings through direct holdings, and the balance through its subsidiaries and JK Group companies.
JK Tyres Group:
- JK Tyre & Industries Ltd. is amongst the top three automotive tyre manufacturers in India which makes tyres for trucks, bus, passenger cars and commercial vehicles.
- The company received Brand of the Year Award in 2015. With this acquisition the company now has a total of 12 tyre plants with nine located in India and three in Mexico.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Introduction: Indian Railway all in set to use Drone to assess the progress on Ground and Flying Machine.
- To monitor the construction works in various fields at remote access
- Aerial Survey of Ground and Construction sites
- Assess the Situation of victims and locations aftermath of train accidents
- Field work without the intervention of Man.
- Itihaasa is one of the largest chronicles of its kind with 600 videos featuring 44 technology stalwarts, over 37 hours of footage, 350 archived photographs and articles and easy browsing with 12,000 tags.
The app follows the installation of the country’s first modern computer in 1955 to crystal gazing on Indian IT in 2040.
Rafael Nadal beats Gael Monfils to win ninth Monte Carlo Masters title
- Spain Maestro Rafael Nadal won his ninth Monte Carlo Masters title by defeating Gael Monfils of France by 7-5, 5-7, 6-0 in his 100th career title clash in France.
- He won the title eight successive times between 2005 and 2012, creating him the only player in the open era to win eight consecutive titles at the same tournament.
French Pair Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut won the title, defeating UK’s Jamie Murray and Brazilian Bruno Soares in the final by 4–6, 6–0.
Dipa Karmakar creates History, First Indian Gymnast to Qualify for Olympics
Agartala hailed Dipa Karmakar will be the first Indian women gymnast in the history to qualify for Olympics as she booked a berth for the mega event after a strong performance at the final qualifying and test event.
- She has gathered a total score of 52.698 points in the qualifying event. After independence 11 Indian male gymnast have taken part in the Olympics but this will be the first for an Indian woman at the Olympics.
- She has been listed as the 79th gymnast among individual qualifiers in the list of women’s artistic gymnast for the Rio Olympics.
- Earlier she won a bronze at the Asian Gymnastics Championships and finished fifth at the 2015 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships both a first for India.
Sri Lanka spinner Rangana Herath retires from ODIs, T20Is
Sri Lankan veteran cricketer Rangana Herath has announced his retirement from limited-overs cricket.
- The Left-armoff spinner informed Sri Lanka Cricket about his decision to bid adieu from the ODI and T20 formatsin order to focus on his Test career.
- He has 74 wickets from 71 ODIs, and 14 T20 matches took 17 wickets. Herath played a key role in Sri Lanka’s victorious 2014 World T20 Team delivering the side’s spell of that tournament.
- The bowler has bagged CEAT International Bowler of the Year 2015.
Salsa great Ismael Quintana dies at 78
A pioneer of salsa music Ismael Quintana passed away in US. He was 78.
- He was born in Ponce, Quintana played in quartets and sextets in his early career.
- In 1960 he joined forces with the beloved Eddie Palmieri, also from Puerto Rico, in the “Orquesta La Perfecta.“
- He known for hits such as “Puerto Rico,” “Adoracion,” “No se compara” and “Maestro rumbero”
What is Salsa ?
- Salsa is a popular form of dance music that originated in New York City.
- It is the product of various musical genres including the Cuban son montuno, guaracha, chachachá, mambo
International Monuments and Sites Day also known as World Heritage Day is observed on April 18th every year, to preserve our vast heritage that our ancestors left for us,heritage is our inheritance of land, language, ecosystems, knowledge, and culture.
- UNESCO World Heritage Convention labels the places that hold importance of cultural or natural heritage.
- The day aims at creating public awareness about the variety and vulnerability of the world’s built monuments and heritage sites.
Theme for the year:
The 2016 theme for the International Day is:The Heritage of Sport.