Current Affairs Today with Latest current affairs today 2020 Quiz for preparation of Bank Exam – PO & clerk, SSC, Railways & Insurance. Our Today Current Affairs 2020 page covers various sections like National current affairs today 2020, business & economy, Indian and International affairs 2020, defense, environment current affairs, persons and many for competitive exams preparing aspirants.
Current Affairs 2020 PDF Plan Features:
- 90 PDF’s Per Month (Same Content in Different Format)
- Suitable for Banking, SSC, Railways, Insurance, CLAT, CAT, PSC, UPSC Examinations
- 2020 Plan includes Daily PDF(Content & Q&A), Weekly PDF, Monthly PDF –Study, Q&A(Q500+), Pocket PDF, Hindi PDF, Topic-Wise PDF & Current Banking Awareness PDF.
AffairsCloud Today (Current Affairs Today)
We are here for you to provide the important Recent and Latest Current Affairs 14 April 2021, which have unique updates of Latest Current Affairs 2021 events from all newspapers such as The Hindu, The Economic Times, PIB, Times of India, PTI, Indian Express, Business Standard and all Government official websites.
Our Current Affairs April 2021 events will help you to get more marks in Banking, Insurance, SSC, Railways, UPSC, CLAT and all State Government Exams. Also, try our Latest Current Affairs Quiz and Monthly Current Affairs 2021 PDF which will be a pedestrian to crack your exams.
Read Current Affairs in CareersCloud APP, Course Name – Learn Current Affairs – Free Course – Click Here to Download the APP
NITI Aayog’s AIM & Denmark sign SoI for promoting Innovation & EntrepreneurshipOn April 12, 2021, Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog & Embassy of Denmark signed a Statement of Intent (SoI) for promoting innovation and entrepreneurship among aspiring entrepreneurs in India. The SoI was signed at the premises of NITI Aayog in New Delhi and is part of the Indo-Danish Bilateral Green Strategic Partnership.
i.Under the partnership, Innovation Center Denmark in India will collaborate with AIM to
- Support the current and future initiatives of AIM, NITI Aayog.
- Develop Global Innovation Green economy partnerships that will address Sustainable Development Goals (SDG).
ii.The partnership will be executed through Innovation Center Denmark (ICDK) under the aegis of the Embassy of Denmark.
iii.The collaboration will help Indian innovators get access to Danish technical expertise and allow Danish Innovators to work on India specific solutions.
- In December 2020, AIM partnered with ICDK, Denmark Embassy in India and the Denmark Technical University (DTU) to launch AIM-ICDK Water Innovation Challenge.
- It was aimed at identifying innovative solutions for solving challenges related to water in India.
Prime Minister – Mette Frederiksen
Capital – Copenhagen
Currency – Krone
>>Read Full News
VP M.Venkaiah Naidu releases commemorative postage stamp of Rajyogini Dadi Janki
On 12th April, 2021 Vice President(VP) M Venkaiah Naidu released a commemorative postage stamp on the memory of Rajyogini Dadi Janki, the former Chief of Brahma Kumaris commemorating her Spiritual works & fight social evils like gender discrimination, casteism and communalism at New Delhi.
- The VP highlighted that Brahma Kumaris are a unique religion that is headed by Women.
- Brahma Kumaris is one of India’s newest religions, formed as a result of the spiritual movement started in Hyderabad in the 1930’s.
India approves Use of Russia’s Sputnik V Covid-19 Vaccine
Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) has approved the use of Russia’s Covid-19 vaccine, “Sputnik V” in India, to tackle the 2nd Wave of the virus spread in India. With this approval, India has 3 Covid-19 vaccines – Covaxin, Covishield and Sputnik-V.
- Sputnik-V is manufactured in India by Hyderabad based Dr Reddy’s Laboratories.
- Covishield is manufactured in India by Serum Institute of India, Pune & developed by Oxford-AstraZeneca.
- India’s indigenous vaccine “Covaxin” is manufactured by Bharat Biotech in collaboration with ICMR – National Institute of Virology.
Bharti Global backed OneWeb signs MoU with Kazakhstan to Accelerate connectivity servicesUnited Kingdom (UK) based OneWeb, a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite communications operator, co-owned by Bharti Global has signed an MoU with the Kazakhstan Government and other subsidiaries for accelerating connectivity services in the country commemorating the 60th Anniversary of Yuri Gagarin’s first human spaceflight.
- The MoU also aims to Digitize Kazakhstan’s economy & assist Kazakhstan to become a pioneer in the latest satellite communications technologies.
- OneWeb’s partnership with the Government of Kazakhstan began in 2020.
- The first wave of network demonstrations by OneWeb in Kazakhstan is scheduled to be held by June 2021.
Establishment of Centre of Excellence (CoE)
- OneWeb’s Kazakhstan Arm will set up an LEO Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Kazakhstan which will enable OneWeb’s service delivery across the whole of Central Asia.
CEO – Neil Masterson
Chairman – Sunil Bharti Mittal
Prime Minister – Askar Mamin
Capital – Nur-Sultan
Currency – Kazakhstani Tenge (KZT)
>>Read Full News
India participates in Multinational Military Exercise ‘Shantir Ogroshena 2021’ held in BangladeshThe Indian Army participated in the Multinational Military Exercise ‘Shantir Ogroshena 2021’ (Front Runner of Peace) held at Bangabandhu Senanibas (BBS), Bangladesh from April 4-12, 2021. It is an UN-mandated Counterterrorism exercise.
- Theme – ‘Robust Peacekeeping Operations’
- Aim – To Strengthen the procedures and enhance interoperability among neighbourhood countries.
- Other Participants – Royal Bhutan Army, Sri Lankan Army & Bangladesh Army
- The exercise was held to mark the Birth Centenary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman who is the ‘Father of the Nation’ of Bangladesh.
- Military Observers – USA, UK, Turkey, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Singapore.
- The Indian Army contingent consisted of 30 Personnel including Officers, JCOs (Junior Commissioned Officer) & Jawans from the Dogra Regiment.
About Indian Army:
Chief of the Army Staff– Manoj Mukund Naravane
Headquarters– New Delhi
>>Read Full News
New Zealand introduces World’s 1st Climate Change Law for Financial SectorNew Zealand becomes the 1st country in the world to introduce a Climate Change Law for regulating the Financial Sector. As per the new law, All banks, insurers, investment managers with total asset value greater than NZ$1 billion (USD 703 million) shall report the impacts of climate change on their investments to the government.
i.The law will be passed by 2022 & Companies have to submit the report by 2023.
ii.Previously, New Zealand has set targets to provide carbon-neutral public transport by 2025 & procure only zero-emissions public transport buses.
The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in its 2015 Paris Conference, introduced the “Climate Action Plan 2050” that targets reducing the global temperature by 1.5 degree Celsius.
About New Zealand:
President – Jacinda Ardern
Capital – Wellington
Currency – New Zealand dollar
Some Active Volcanoes in New Zealand: Whakaari/White Island, Mount Tarawera, Mount Tongariro
BANKING & FINANCE
YES Bank implemented its first SOFR linked trade transaction
YES Bank executed its first Secured Overnight Financing Rate (SOFR) linked trade borrowing transaction from an American Lender Wells Fargo Bank. The borrowing is intended to provide further impetus to the bank’s export finance business.
- This is an on-balance sheet transaction and the first onshore foreign currency borrowing on the SOFR benchmark.
- This transaction is a part of YES bank’s benchmark transition management plan and this borrowing will support the bank for a transition to the new Alternate Reference Rates (ARRs) as the USD LIBOR (London Inter-Bank Offered Rate), is going to be phased out by the end of 2021.
First SOFR linked ECB:
In March 2021, the State Bank of India (SBI) and Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) inked India’s first SOFR linked External Commercial Borrowing (ECB) deal by replacing LIBOR. Click here to know more
About Alternate Reference Rates (ARRs):
i.A reference rate is an interest rate benchmark that will be used to set other interest rates.
ii.LIBOR is a benchmark interest rate (indicates borrowing costs between banks) at which the global banks lend to one another in the international interbank market for short-term loans.
- According to the Federal Reserve and regulators in the UK, LIBOR is having scandals and lack of validity hence it will be phased out completely by June 30, 2023.
iii.SOFR and Sterling Overnight Interbank Average Rate (SONIA) are the two popular alternative rates that exist at present to replace LIBOR.
Beneficiaries of Government Welfare Scheme Can Open ‘Basic Savings Account’ in Post OfficeIn exercise of the powers conferred under Section 3A of the Government Savings Promotion Act 1873(5 of 1873) Finance Ministry has amended the Post Office Savings Account Scheme, 2019 & the Scheme was named as “Post Office Savings Account (Amendment) Scheme, 2021″.
- Under this amendment, the government had reduced the Account Maintenance Fee from ₹100 to ₹50 and also announced the facility for a beneficiary of the Government welfare scheme to open a Basic Savings Account in the Post office which is similar to “Basic Savings Bank Deposit Account” (BSBDA).
- Until now BSBDA will be opened in a scheduled commercial bank or Indian Post Payment Bank.
Who can avail of the account?
- The account can be opened by a registered adult member of any Government welfare scheme and in the case of a minor along with a guardian who was registered for any government benefit.
Basic Savings Account of Post office:
- This savings account has all the features and benefits offered by the BSBDA (except that it allows only four cash withdrawals in a month).
- Interest rates: 2.75% per annum, with the Frequency of payout at Quarterly, and the account can be linked to a POSA (Post Office Savings Account)
The Ministry has reduced the Account Maintenance fee in POSA:
- Account Maintenance Fee – ₹100 will be deducted (in case the account balance not raised to ₹500 at the end of the financial year) now, the Finance Ministry has halved the Account Maintenance Fee to ₹50 (inclusive of GST).
SEBI has Revised the Reporting Formats for Mutual FundsBased on the consultation from the industry, the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has revised the reporting formats for mutual funds with new guidelines.
- The guidelines are for the reports which will be submitted by asset management companies (AMCs) to trustees, by AMCs to SEBI, and by trustees to the SEBI.
- SEBI has discontinued the bi-monthly and half-yearly basis submission of the compliance certificate by an AMC to the trustees and added both the reports in their quarterly report.
Format for Quarterly Report (Qr) From AMCs to Trustees:
- SEBI has informed the AMCs to submit the QR on the activities of Mutual Funds/AMCs to trustees within 21 days from the end of respective quarters (March, June, September and December)
Details On Half-Yearly Trustee Report by Trustees to SEBI:
- The AMC should need to mention ‘Yes’/’No’ with respect to each compliance item and if mentioned as ‘No’, then the nature of non-compliance along with the corrective action taken should be given.
- The guidelines would come into effect from June 2021 (For quarterly report) and – from the half-year ended March 2021(for half-yearly trustee report).
SEBI Imposed Rs 25 crore penalty to YES Bank for AT-1 Bonds Misselling:
Due to misselling of the lender’s AT-1 bonds during the period from December 1, 2016 to February 29, 2020 Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) imposed Rs 25 crore penalty for Yes Bank.
About Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI):
Establishment – On April 12, 1992, in accordance with the Securities and Exchange Board of India Act, 1992.
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman – Ajay Tyagi
>>Read Full News
Punjab National Bank launches digital initiative [email protected]On 12th April 2021 Punjab national bank(PNB) launched a digital initiative [email protected] to commemorate 127 years of their service to the nation. This service is set to be activated across 165 identified locations across India.
About [email protected]:
i.This new initiation will bring a “Banking-on-the-Go” model. Using this, customers themselves can make every transaction undertaken by a bank branch.
ii.All kinds of services can be availed such as from opening a savings account to apply for various kinds of loans without visiting a branch.
iii.PNB @Ease outlets will be loaded with five Kiosks i.e. ATM, Bunch Note Acceptor, Account Opening Kiosk, Card Issuance Kiosk, and internet-enabled Kiosk.
About Punjab National Bank(PNB):
Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer: S.S.Mallikarjuna Rao
Tagline: The Name you can bank upon
ECONOMY & BUSINESS
Nomura has revised India’s GDP growth rate of FY22 to 12.6% from 13.5%On April 9, 2021 Nomura, has decreased the India’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth rate forecasted for FY22 to 12.6 per cent from its earlier prediction of 13.5 per cent due to the rise in COVID-19 cases and retail inflation.
- It also revised the GDP growth rate projection to 11.5 per cent for the calendar year 2021 from the previous 12.4 per cent.
- It also decreased the GDP growth in the first quarter (Q1) of FY22 as 32.5 per cent, from the earlier expectation of 34.5 per cent.
- Currency risk: It reported currency risk for India in which the rupee may dent and will lead to cost-push price pressures and fan inflation
- Nomura pegged retail inflation at 4.7% in 2021, down from 5% earlier.
- Report on Emerging Market (EM): Nomura reported a possibility of tighter financial conditions with higher inflation to the EM of Asia such as Indonesia, India and the Philippines.
Establishment – 1925
Headquarters – Tokyo, Japan
President and Group CEO– Kentaro Okuda
INOXCVA signs MoU with Mitsui to enhance small scale LNG applications developmentINOXCVA (INOX India Pvt. Ltd) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Japan’s Mitsui & Co (Asia Pacific) Pte. Ltd with an aim to enhance small scale LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) applications development and provide stimulus to gas based economy in India.
- The two entities will also share technical and commercial expertise for establishing a virtual pipeline to service the growing demand of LNG in India.
- The MoU also calls for deployment of small scale LNG infrastructure including logistics and receiving facilities at customer end.
- The deployment of logistics and receiving facilities at the customer end will help in increasing the penetration and consumption of clean, reliable, and cost-efficient LNG.
- The collaboration will help in making cleaner fuel more accessible and economically viable.
- The availability of LNG will help in creating a sustainable manufacturing ecosystem.
About INOXCVA (INOX India Pvt. Ltd):
It is part of the INOX Group
Executive Director – Siddharth Jain
Headquarters – Vadodara, Gujarat
About Mitsui & Co Ltd (Global):
President & CEO – Kenichi Hori
Headquarters – Tokyo, Japan
>>Read Full News
BPCL partnered with Accenture for its Digital transformation in Sales NetworkOn April 13,2021 Accenture made a partnership with Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) to transform the sales and distribution network of the oil and gas company digitally.
- Accenture will be using its capabilities in artificial intelligence (AI) and cloud technologies to build, design and implement a digital platform, called IRIS for BPCL.
Significant features of the IRIS platform:
- Real time Data: The platform will be integrating the real-time data from BPCL’s countrywide network, to provide a consolidated view of its extensive operations.
- The network includes more than 18,000 fuel retail outlets, 25,000 tank trucks, 75 oil installations and depots, 52 liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) bottling plants and 250 additional industrial and commercial locations,
- Automated Alert: As IRIS was driven by AI and machine learning technologies, it will subsequently trigger automated alerts and actions, including rapid response to equipment failures or hazardous situations.
About Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL):
Establishment – 1952 (as Burmah Shell Refineries Ltd.)
Chairman and Managing Director(CMD) – K. Padmakar
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
>>Read Full News
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
HAL Won ISTD’s National Award for Innovative Training Practicesi.On 12th April 2021, Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), a central public sector undertaking based in Bengaluru, Karnataka has won the National Award for Innovation Training Practices 2019-2020 at the 30th National Award Ceremony organized by the Indian Society for Training and Development(ISTD) in New Delhi.
ii.The award recognizes the HAL’s effort to achieve excellence in the area of training and development.
iii.The National Award for Innovative Training Practices is an annual award instituted by the ISTD to recognize the organisations which have adopted innovative practices on human resources development in their organisation.
About Indian Society for Training and Development(ISTD):
President- Dr Nataraj Ray
Established in– 1970
Location– New Delhi
>>Read Full News
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNATIONS
President Ram Nath Kovind Appointed Sushil Chandra as 24th CEC of India
i.President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Senior-most Election Commissioner, Sushil Chandra as the 24th Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of India. He succeeds Sunil Arora whose tenure ended on 12th April 2021. Sushil Chandra will assume charge on April 13, 2021. His tenure will end in Mid 2022.
ii.He was appointed in pursuance of clause (2) of Article 324 of the Constitution of India.
iii.Prior to the appointment, Sushil Chandra was serving as the Election Commissioner from February 15, 2019 after retiring as the chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
About Election Commission of India:
Formation: 25 January 1950
Headquarters: New Delhi
>>Read Full News
Former Banker Guillermo Lasso won the Presidential Election of EcuadorGuillermo Lasso(65-year-old) former banker won Ecuador’s 2021 presidential election after his opponent Andrés Arauz, a socialist economist conceded. He will become the 47th President of Ecuador. Lasso had won around 52 percent of the vote and Andrés Arauz got around 47 percent
He will take over the presidency from the incumbent Lenín Moreno and assume office on 24th May 2021.
About Guillermo Lasso:
i.Guillermo Lasso hails from Guayaquil, Guayas province, Ecuador.
ii.Guillermo Lasso previously ran for President in 2013 and 2017 and lost to Rafael Correa and Lenín Moreno respectively.
iii.He has served as the Governor of Guayas from 1998 to 1999.
iv.As a banker, he has served as the CEO of Banco Guayaquil.
President- Lenín Moreno
President-Elect– Guillermo Lasso
Currency- United States Dollar
ACC approves to Extend the Tenure Arun Kumar DG of DGCA By 6 Months
The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet(ACC) headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved the extension in the tenure of Arun Kumar, IAS as the Director General(DG)of Directorate General of Civil Aviation(DGCA) for a period of 6 months beyond 20th April 2021 or until further orders.
About Arun Kumar:
i.Arun Kumar is a 1989-batch IAS officer of the Haryana cadre.
ii.He has been serving as the DG of DGCA since June 2019.
iii.Previously He had held an additional charge as DG of DGCA between May and July 2019.
iv.He has served as the Additional Secretary of the Ministry of Civil Aviation(MoCA)
About Directorate General of Civil Aviation(DGCA):
i.Directorate General of Civil Aviation(DGCA), an attached office of MoCA, is the regulatory body in the field of Civil Aviation that deals with safety issues.
ii.It is also responsible for the regulation of air transport services to, from or within India.
Director-General– Arun Kumar
Headquarters– New Delhi
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
CCI Approved the Acquisition of 60% Stake in Magma Fincorp by Rising Sun Holdings
Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the acquisition of 60% stake holdings in Magma Fincorp Limited (Magma Fincorp) by Rising Sun Holdings Private Limited (Rising Sun) and Sanjay Chamria and Mayank Poddar has acquired an additional 4.68 percent stake.
This Rs.3456 crore deal enables the Rising Sun to acquire the controlling stakes in Magma Fincorp.
- The Rising sun holdings ltd is a part of the Rising Sun Group of Companies of Adar Poonawalla, the CEO of Serum Institute of India(SII).
- The rising sun is in the financial service sector through its subsidiary, Poonawalla Finance Private Limited, a non-deposit taking non-banking finance company (NBFC).
The Magma Fincorp has received the shareholders’ approval for allotting the 490 million preferential shares worth Rs.3456 crore to Rising Sun and its existing promoters.
Terms of the deal:
i.As a part of this deal, Rising Sun will be classified as Promoter of Magma Fincorp.
ii.Subject to the regulatory approvals, The Magma Fincorp and its subsidiaries will be rebranded as Poonawalla Finance.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Piyush Goyal launches DGFT ‘Trade Facilitation App’ for promoting Ease of Doing BusinessOn April 12, 2021, Union Minister of Commerce & Industry Piyush Goyal launched the DGFT (Directorate General of Foreign Trade) ‘Trade Facilitation’ Mobile App for promoting Ease of Doing Business (EoDB) in India and providing quick access to information to importers/exporters. It is an initiative of DGFT.
i.The app has been developed by Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) as per directions of DGFT.
ii.Piyush Goyal stated that the Trade Facilitation App is READY for Industry 4.0, as it provides
- Real-time trade policy updates, notifications, application status alert, tracking help requests
- Explore item-wise Export-Import policy & statistics, Track IEC (Importer-Exporter Code) Portfolio
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) based 24X7 assistance for trade queries
- DGFT services made accessible to all
- Your Trade Dashboard accessible anytime & anywhere
- It will create international trade opportunities for MSMEs (Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises) and Foreign players.
- It will reduce transaction cost and time for imports and exports related processes, and usher in transparency.
- It will significantly contribute to the export target of USD 1 Trillion by 2025 and the GDP target of USD 5 Trillion. It is a step towards paperless, automated processing systems.
About Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT):
It is an attached office of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry and is responsible for formulating and implementing the foreign trade policy of India.
Director-General – Amit Yadav
Headquarters – New Delhi
>>Read Full News
China opens 5G Signal base at World’s Highest Radar Station
China opened its 5G Signal base at the World’s Highest Radar Station, “Ganbala radar station” which is located at a height of 5,374 meters, in the remote Himalayas of China’s Tibet autonomous region.
i.Stable high-speed 5G connectivity can be accessed by Soldiers of Chinese army, which will help them to be in-touch with the global information society.
ii.People’s Liberation Army of China constructed the 5G signal station at Ganbala, which is located in Tibetian border with India & Bhutan.
President – Xi Jinping
Capital – Beijing
Currency – Yuan or Renminbi
Pass connecting India & China:
- Niti Pass – Uttarakhand with Tibet
- Shipki La Pass – Himachal Pradesh with Tibet
- Nathu La Pass – Sikkim with Tibet
- Jelep La Pass – Sikkim with Tibet
Piyush Goyal launches ‘e-SANTA’ Web Portal for Aqua FarmersOn April 13, 2021, Union Minister of Commerce & Industry Piyush Goyal virtually inaugurated the web portal called ‘e-SANTA’ (Electronic Solution for Augmenting NaCSA farmers’ Trade in Aquaculture). It is an electronic marketplace providing a platform to connect Aqua Farmers and the Buyers (both at National & International levels).
- e-SANTA is a completely paperless and end-to-end trade platform.
- It is an initiative of NaCSA (National Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture) which is an extension of the Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA), Ministry of Commerce & Industry.
- The portal will help farmers to get a better price for their products & will enable exporters to directly purchase quality products from the farmers.
- One of the major aims behind the launch of the portal is to eliminate middlemen.
- India is the 2nd largest country in aquaculture (which is topped by China) and ranks 3rd in fisheries production.
e-SANTA will RAISE the lives & income of farmers by
- Reducing Risk
- Awareness of Products & Markets
- Increase in Income
- Shielding Against Wrong Practice
- Ease of Processes
About National Centre for Sustainable Aquaculture (NaCSA):
Established Year – 2007
CEO – K. Shanmukha Rao
Location – Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh
>>Read Full News
NITI Aayog launches India Energy Dashboards Version 2.0
In April 2021, National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog launched the 2nd Version of India Energy Dashboards (IED) to strengthen India’s Central Energy database. IED is a single-window portal for India’s Energy data, it provides comprehensive data on sector wise energy supply & demand.
In May 2017, NITI Aayog launched Version 1.0 of IED.
- The Dashboard was launched by Dr Rajiv Kumar (Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog), Dr V K Saraswat (Member, NITI Aayog), Shri Amitabh Kant (CEO, NITI Aayog) and Dr Rakesh Sarwal (Additional Secretary, NITI Aayog).
- UJALA, PRAAPTI, and Vidyut PRAVAH has been incorporated in the portal.
- Controller’s Organisation, and Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas is compiled in the Dashboards.
Ibn Abdur Rehman Human Rights icon of Pakistan passed away at 90
On 12th April 2021, Ibn Abdur Rehman(I A Rehman), the human rights icon of Pakistan and former journalist, who was known as the “Titan of Human Rights” passed away at the age of 90 in Lahore, Pakistan. He was born in 1930 in Haryana, India (before Partition).
He was a protege of Faiz Ahmed Faiz, a great Urdu Poet.
About I A Rehman:
i.I A Rehman has served as the Director of Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) from 1990 to 2008 and Secretary-General of HRCP from 2008 to 2016.
ii.He was the founder of the Pakistan India People Forum for Peace and Democracy(PIPFPD).
iii.He has served as the Chief Editor of Pakistan Times in 1989.
i.He received the Ramon Magsaysay Award for Peace and Understanding in 2004 along with Indian Admiral L Ramdas.
ii.He won the Nuremberg International Human Rights Award for 2003 for his fight for peace and human rights.
102nd Anniversary of Jallianwala Bagh Massacre – April 13, 2021i.13th April 2021 marks the 102nd anniversary of the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre, which took place on 13th April 1919 in a public garden (Jallianwala Bagh) in Amritsar, Punjab.
ii.According to the records of the British Government around 400 people including men, women and children were killed and around 1200 were wounded in the Jallianwala Bagh massacre which is also known as the Amritsar Massacre.
iii.The Jallianwala Bagh Memorial was established in 1951 by the Government of India to commemorate the Amritsar massacre.
iv.On 12th April 2021, The new edition of 1969 classic “Jallianwala Bagh: A groundbreaking history of the 1919 massacre” authored by Vishwa Nath Datta(V N Datta) was released.
>>Read Full News
World Parkinson’s Day 2021 – April 11World Parkinson’s Day is annually observed across the globe on 11th April to create awareness and raise the funds to support the people living with Parkinson’s disease.
The day marks the birth anniversary of Dr. James Parkinson who was the first to describe Parkinson’s disease as a neurological syndrome in 1817.
- The month of April is observed as Parkinson’s Awareness month
- ‘Red tulip with a fringe of white’ is the official symbol of Parkinson’s disease.
Dr James Parkinson:
Dr James Parkinson, born on 11th April 1755, was a neurologist, geologist, and activist.
In his essays, he described and accurately portrayed Parkinson’s diseases, which he called shaking palsy.
About Parkinson’s Disease:
i.Dr. Jean-Martin Charcot suggested naming the disorder as “Maladie de Parkinson – Parkinson’s disease” after Dr. James Parkinson since he has accurately described the disease.
ii.Parkinson’s disease is an illness that affects the nerve cells of the brain which controls the movements of the body.
iii.The most common symptoms are tremors, muscle rigidity and slowness of movement.
71st ICCR Foundation Day – 9th April 2021The Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) celebrated its 71st Foundation Day on 9th April 2021. ICCR was founded on 9th April 1950 by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, the first Education Minister of Independent India.
Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR):
Through the Indian Cultural Centres, ICCR organises a range of cultural, academic and intellectual activities in the field of Indian culture including Indian dance, music, yoga, languages, cuisines, festivals, ethos and traditions along with contemporary issues.
Events of 71st ICCR Foundation Day:
i.Indian Cultural Centre and Embassy of India, Seoul, South Korea organised the virtual event to celebrate the 71st Foundation day of ICCR.
- The session was moderated by Dr Sonu Trivedi, Director of the Indian Cultural Centre, Embassy of India, Seoul.
ii.Swami Vivekananda Cultural Centre at Indian Embassy in Beijing, China celebrated the ICCR foundation day.
- ICCR’s “Little Guru” app, the world’s first Gamified Sanskrit Learning App, was jointly launched by Ambassador Vikram Misri and Professor Wang Bangwei, a renowned Chinese scholar on Sanskrit and India studies.
- As a part of the celebration of 71st Foundation day, ICCR has announced 2 fellowships dedicated to music to encourage research in the field of Indian Music: i. Bhimsen Joshi fellowship for music. ii. Ustad Ghulam Mustafa Khan fellowship for Music.
President- Dr Vinay Sahasrabuddhe
Director General- Dinesh K Patnaik
Headquarters- New Delhi
Current Affairs Today (AffairsCloud Today)
|S.no||Current Affairs 14 April 2021|
|1||NITI Aayog’s AIM & Denmark sign SoI for promoting Innovation & Entrepreneurship|
|2||Vice President releases commemorative postage stamp of Rajyogini Dadi Janki|
|3||India approves Use of Russia’s Sputnik V Covid-19 Vaccine|
|4||Bharti Global backed OneWeb signs MoU with Kazakhstan to Accelerate connectivity services|
|5||India participates in Multinational Military Exercise ‘Shantir Orgoshena 2021’ held in Bangladesh|
|6||New Zealand introduces World’s 1st Climate Change Law for Financial Sector|
|7||YES Bank implemented its first SOFR linked trade transaction|
|8||Basic Savings Bank account in Post office for a Beneficiary of Government welfare scheme|
|9||SEBI has Revised the Reporting Formats for Mutual Funds|
|10||Punjab National Bank launches digital initiative [email protected]|
|11||Nomura has revised India’s GDP growth rate to 12.6% from 13.5%|
|12||INOXCVA signs MoU with Mitsui to enhance small scale LNG applications development|
|13||BPCL partnered with Accenture for its Digital transformation in Sales Network|
|14||HAL Won ISTD’s National Award for Innovative Training Practices|
|15||Sushil chandra appointed as chief election commissioner of India|
|16||Former Banker Guillermo Lasso won the Presidential Election of Ecuador|
|17||ACC approves to Extend the Tenure Arun Kumar DG of DGCA By 6 Months|
|18||CCI Approved the Acquisition of 60% Stake in Magma Fincorp by Rising Sun Holdings|
|19||Piyush Goyal launches DGFT ‘Trade Facilitation App’ for promoting Ease of Doing Business|
|20||China opens 5G Signal base at World’s Highest Radar Station|
|21||Piyush Goyal launches ‘e-SANTA’ Web Portal for Aqua Farmers|
|22||NITI Aayog launches India Energy Dashboards Version 2.0|
|23||Ibn Abdur Rehman Human Rights icon of Pakistan passed away at 90|
|24||102nd Anniversary of Jallianwala Bagh Massacre – April 13, 2021|
|25||World Parkinson’s Day 2021 – April 11|
|26||71st ICCR Foundation Day – 9th April 2021|
Today Current Affairs 2020 – Last 15 Days
- Current Affairs 14 April 2021
- Current Affairs 13 April 2021
- Current Affairs 11 & 12 April 2021
- Current Affairs 10 April 2021
- Current Affairs 9 April 2021
- Current Affairs 8 April 2021
- Current Affairs 6 & 7 April 2021
- Current Affairs 4 & 5 April 2021
- Current Affairs 3 April 2021
- Current Affairs 2 April 2021
- Current Affairs 1 April 2021
- Current Affairs 31 March 2021
- Current Affairs 30 March 2021
- Current Affairs 28 & 29 March 2021
Year-Wise Current Affairs Today