Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs March 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
Click here to Try Current Affairs March 5 Quiz 2016
Election Commission announces Assembly Election in 5 States
The Election Commission of India have announced Assembly Elections dates for Kerala, West Bengal, Tamilnadu, Assam, and Puduchchery.
- The polls will be held between April 4 and May 16, the counting of votes in all five states and one Union Territory will be done on May 19
Union Government To Provide Loan To FACT
Fertilizers and Chemicals Travancore (FACT), a Central Public Sector Undertaking in Kochisigned a Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) with the Union Government to get a loan of Rs. `1000 crores.
- FACT has been facing financial issues for over a decade
- The loan of Rs. 1000 crores comes as a relief to the organization when it needs to clear its debts and augment production.
Punjab Becomes Seventh State To Sign Up For UDAY
Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) is the financial package and the turnaround and revival package for electricity distribution companies of India (DISCOMs) initiated by the Government of India to support them overcome the financial turmoil they are in.
- Punjab has become the seventh state to join the scheme. Therefore, it will be able to handle a debt of 20,838 crores and revive the power sector of the state.
BHEL Commissions Supercritical Thermal Unit In Karnataka
Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited owned by the Government of India, is a power plant equipment manufacturer and operates as an engineering and manufacturing company based in New Delhi, India
- It has announced to commission a 700 MW Supercritical thermal unit at Bellary Thermal Power Project in Karnataka.
- The order by the Karnataka Power Corporation Ltd has been won by BHEL through competitive bidding on engineering, procurement and construction basis.
- BHEL: Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited
- New Chairman of BHEL: Shri Atul Sobti
Traditional Chapchar Kut Festival Celebrated Across Mizoram
The traditional Spring Festival of Mizoram, Chapchar Kut, was celebrated across the state and Mizo inhabited parts of the neighbouring states on March 5, 2016.
- The festival is celebrated every year with great pomp and show in March after they complete the Jhum operation, the shifting of agriculture by clearing jungle. It is believed that the festival started during 1450 AD-1700 AD.
- State Capital : Aizawal
- Chief Minister : Lal Thanhawla
India Signs Agreement With IEA For Energy Initiatives
The International Energy Agency, a Paris based organization will enhance its ties with India in the fields of energy data and forecasting, a step towards raising engagement in technology research and policy making.
Pakistan’s Senate rejects national airline privatization bill
Pakistan’s upper house of Parliament rejected National Airline privatization bill- PIA (Pakistan International Airlines) Corporation Conversion Bill 2015.
- The bill was introduced by Federal Climate Change Minister Zahid Hamid.
- The Bill to privatise the cash strapped national airline, another delay for the country’s logjam privatisation agenda under the terms of an IMF.
- It will get pass in the parliament when Joint session is called, the bill is expected to pass since the Pakistan Muslim League- Nawaz exercises an easy majority in a joint session.
- Capital: Islamabad
- Currency: Pakistani Rupee
- Prime Minister: Nawaz Sharif
- President: MamnoonHussain
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI Released Draft Directions For Non-Banking Financial Company – Account Aggregator
The Non Banking Financial Company- Account Aggregator Directions, 2016 was released by RBI on March 3, 2016 to put in place a regulatory framework to allow a separate category of Non Banking Financial Company to emerge as an Account Aggregator.
- As per the NBFC-AA Directions, RBI will supervise and regulate the activity of account aggregation and ensure the service provided conform to the prescribed standards.
Amazon is India’s most trusted online shopping brand: Survey
World largest E-commerce player Amazon has emerged as a most trusted online Brand in Indian market followed by India based Sanpdeal and Flipkart.
- The survey reported had other firms to figure in the top 10 trusted online brands are Ebay, Myntra, Jabong, Naaptol, Yepme, Shopclus and Askmebazaar.The Brand Trust Report India Study 2016 have listed various brands on the report which covers various market segments.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Stevie Wonder Honoured With Global Green Hero Award
American Musician Little Stevie Wonder was honoured with Global Green Hero award at the 13 th Annual Global green USA pre-Oscar party.
- The Veteran singer performed a rousing nine-song set of his at the 13th Annual Global Oscar party.
- He emphasized “we have to love our planet, we have to make it greener and to ensure that people able to survive as it has always been meant to be”.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
UEFA names new general secretary, holds back on Platini
Union of European Football Associations named Theodore Theodoridis as interim general secretary, this decision is taken at the Executive committee meeting at their headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.
- The Greek Based Administrator comes afterGianni Infantino left the role to become the new president of FIFA.
Ajit Singh sworn in as Chief Justice of Guwahati High Court
Justice Ajit Singh was sworn in as chief justice of the Guwahati High Court, the Oath of the Justice was administrated by Assam Governor Padmanaba Balakrishna Acharya.
- Prior to his new appointment he was serving as the Acting Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court.
- Ajit Singh was born in 1956 enrolled as an advocate in 1979, He was appointed as an additional judge of the Madhya Pradesh in 2002 and as a permanent judge the next year.
- Notably Guwahati High Court includes the High courts of Assam, Nagaland and Arunachal Pradesh.
High Court in India
- There are 24 High Courts in India at the State and Union Territory level.
- TheMadras High Court in Chennai, Bombay High Court in Mumbai, Calcutta High Court in Kolkata and Allahabad High Court in Allahabad are the oldest four High Courts in India.
SanjivKohli concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to the Independent State of Samoa
SanjivKohli has been concurrently accredited as the next High Commisioner of India to the independent state of somoa with residence in wellington.
- SanjivKohli presently he is serving High commissioner of India to New Zealand.
- The assignment has been given to him concurrently and he will take charge shortly.
To the Commonwealth of Nations, a High Commissioner is the senior diplomat (generally ranking as ambassador) in charge of the diplomatic mission of one Commonwealth government to another. Instead of embassy, the diplomatic mission is generally called a high commission.
- Capital: Apia
- Currency: Somoantala
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
First Edition Of e-Newsletter of Textiles Ministry Launched by Santosh kumar Gagwar
Shri Santosh Kumar Gangwar the Union Textiles Minister today launched the first edition of the e-newsletter of the Ministry of Textiles.
- The monthly newsletter of the Ministry is designed to share our focus on making development inclusive and participative and on a regular basis.
- The newsletter will share important news on the functioning of the Ministry and on the developments in the textiles sector, with a view to better empower and engage all our stakeholders, and thereby take governance closer to the people.
FIH promotes Napoleon Singh as International Umpire
National level Hockey Umpire Napoleon Singh has been promoted to the International Outdoor Umpire by International Hockey Federation.
- His performance in the recently concluded 12th South Asian Games held at Guwahatihas been the key for his appointment.
Lionel Messi Hat-Trick Steers FC Barcelona to Unbeaten 35-Game Record
Lionel Messi hat-trick steered FC Barcelona to unbeaten 35 game record, this defeat in a match against nine man Rayo Vellecano 5-1 to become the first Spanish club to play 35 consecutive matches without loss.
- The new record breaking Real Madrid’s record of nearly three decades ago. Messi also helped Barcelona to extend their lead over Atletico Madrid to eight points with Real Madrid.
- Messi passed up the chance to overcome his hat-trick to help Suarez in his battle with Cristiano Ronaldo to be La Liga’s top scorer.
Film scholar P K Nair passes away
Paramesh Krishnan Nair the founder and director of the National Film Archive of India passed away. He was in critical condition since the last 10 days.
- Nair is considered as the Henri Langlois of India because of his lifelong dedication towards the preservation of films in India.
- He contributed in preserving exquisite films such as Raja Harishchandra (1913), AchhutKanya (1936) and Uday Shankar’s Kalpana (1948) is significant.
All-India Forward Bloc Leader Ashok Ghosh Died
93 years old, All India Forward Bloc Leader, Ashok Ghosh passed away at Kolkata. All India Forward Bloc was founded by Subhash Chandra Bose in 1939, which emerged as a faction within Indian National Congress.
- Joined Forward Bloc in 1941. He
- Remained its Secretary since 1951 until death.
- He was also an instrumental member in the formation of the CPI-(M) Left Front government in West Bengal.