Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs February 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
On the sidelines of Digital India and to bring transparency in Indian Railways, Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu has initiated 3 IT enabled applications.
- These IT enabled projects have been launched at a function held through Video-Conferencing at Rail Bhawan in Mumbai.
Here are the new launches:
- Paperless unreserved ticketing mobile application.
- Hand Held Terminals for TTEs.
- E-booking of disposable linen on trains.
Wild pigs declared vermin in Uttarakhand for a year
The ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has finally notified wild pig as vermin for a year in Uttarakhand. The notification issued by Vinod Ranjan, additional director general of forests (wildlife),Uttarakhand.
- The forest department has sent the proposal to the ministry to declare both wild pig and neel gai (blue bull) vermin. But only wild pig has been permitted.
- The powers conferred by section 62 of the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972, the central government hereby declares wild pig (sus scrofa) listed at serial number 19, of the schedule III to the Act to be vermin and to be included in schedule V of the Act, for a period of one year.
Key points :
- Uttarakhand Capital : Dehradun
- Uttarakhand CM: Harish Rawat
- Uttarakhand Governor : Krishan Kant Paul
Assam CM Gogoi unveiled Vision Assam 2030
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had unveiled a draft document Vision Assam 2030. The aim of the vision is to ensure inclusive and sustainable development in the state.
- The theme of Vision Assam 2030 is ‘Everything for Everyone’
- The government is trying to transform the future of the people of Assam within 15 years.
- It is the efforts of the government to get rid of poverty, illiteracy and hunger for ensuring healthy lives and achieving gender equality through women’s empowerment.
Sikkim Government to construct Mini Sikkim for showcasing state’s diverse & rich culture
Sikkim government will construct Mini Sikkim for showcasing the state’s diverse and rich culture.
- The new market will enhance the business as it will attract the tourists to the state.
- The new project consists of traditional houses of fifteen ethnic communities of Sikkim.
- Government will construct new memorial and museum totally dedicated to the Indian freedom fighters in West Sikkim district which will consists statues of martyrs from the state.
To make a pitch for preventing the destruction of humanitarian laws and to protect civilians in conflict, United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon has released a report dubbed “One Humanity: Shared Responsibility”.
- The report has called for a global campaign on the sidelines of World Humanitarian Summit that will hold in Istanbul, Turkey. The theme of the summit will be One Humanity: Shared Responsibility.
In accordance with the US Chamber of Commerce‘s 4th report on “International IP Index”,India has showed its gloomy side as it was ranked at second last position.
- The index was released by Global Intellectual Property Center (GIPC) which measured the IP environment of 38 economies where India sat at 37th rank with a score of 05 as compared to 7.23 in the previous edition.
3rd India Australia Energy Security Dialogue had been held from 8th to 11th February 2016 at Australia. The coal mining sector will help India in improving the safety, production and productivity of coal mines.
Aims: To enhance the extent of this training by cover more number of people from the industry.
World’s Largest Concentrated Solar Plant Opened in Morocco
The world’s largest concentrated solar power plant will be opened in Morocco.
- The plant will generate adequate energy for more than one million Moroccan households.
- The plant aims to reduce dependence on fossil fuels with the use of renewable energy.
- It will reduce the energy dependence by about 2 and half million tons of oil and also lowering carbon emissions by 760,000 tons per year.
NATO, EU sign agreement on cyber defence cooperation
The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and the European Union (EU) had signed an agreement on cyber defence to improve cooperation.
- The agreement will establish a framework for emergency response teams from NATO and the EU.
- It aims to exchange information and share best practices.
- It will also facilitate information-sharing to improve cyber incident prevention, detection and response at both the EU and NATO.
- Secretary-General of NATO – Jens Stoltenberg
China’s Kaidi to build $1.1 billion biodiesel plant in Finland
Chinese energy company Sunshine Kaidi New Energy Group planned to invest about 1 billion euros ($1.1 billion) in a new biodiesel plant in northern Finland.
- The plant would use wood as its main raw material and it is scheduled to start operations in the city of Kemi by the end of 2019.
- China Capital: Beijing
- China Currency: Renminbi (yuan)
- China President: Xi Jinping
NRDC inks MOU with Indian Institute of Chemical Biology to Promote Entrepreneurship
The National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) had signed Memorandum of Understand (MOU) with Indian Institute of Chemical Biology to promote entrepreneurship.
- Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (IICB), Kolkata is engaged in Research on diseases and certain biological problems of global interest is under the observation of CSIR Indian Institute of Chemical
- It will establish Translational Research Unit of Excellence (TRUE) including an Incubation Centre of 10,000 sq. ft
- The MOU was signed will help in research getting translated into viable products.
HeyBiz tied up with Su-Kam Power
HeyBiz has announced its association with Su-Kam Power Systems Limited to digitise its dealers and distributors network that will help in connecting with local customers.
- The collaboration will enable HeyBiz users chat and discuss with Su-Kam Experts or local dealers and get insight on product details, prices and dealers’ location throughout the country.
- Users can also schedule a service on real time chat with ease and convenience.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Karnataka mobile One m-governance model wins gold at world Government Summit in Dubai UAE .It is the fourth World Government Summit.
Aim: To increase the rural access for the App by bringing on board horticulture and agriculture services, including a link to e-market platforms for farmers.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
U.S. National Academy of Engineering (NAE) has primed the 4 Indian-Americans to be a part of its new list of 80 members for their valuable contributions to the society.
Four members are Anil K. Jain, Dr. Arati Prabhakar, Ganesh Thakur and Dr. K.R. Sridhar
Indian-origin lawyer Davinder Singh named vice-chairman of ICC commission
A top Indian-origin lawyer in Singapore Davinder Singh named as vice-chairman of International Chamber of Commerce Commission(ICC).
About Davinder Singh :
- Davinder Singh, 58, has been named vice-chairman of International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) Commission on Corporate Responsibility and Anti-corruption.
- He is a member of parliament from 1988-2006 and chief executive of the local law firm Drew & Napier.
- He has been appointed to the leadership of one of 13 policy commissions under the ICC, which forges international rules, mechanisms and standards used across the globe.
About ICC Commission:
Paris-based International Chamber of Commerce Commission is the the private sector world business organisation with a central role in global trade and commerce.
Harinder Sidhu appointed as new Australian High Commissioner to India
Indian-origin Harinder Sidhu appointed as the country’s next Australian High Commissioner to India.
About Harinder Sidhu :
- Sindhu, a senior career officer with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, has been also serving as First Assistant Secretary of the Multilateral Policy Division.
- She has previously served overseas in Moscow and Damascus
- Australia Capital: Canberra
- Australia Currency: Dollar
- Australia PM: Malcolm Turnbull
Mukesh Bansal, Ankit Nagori quit Flipkart
Mukesh Bansal the head of commerce and advertising business at Flipkart, co founder Binny Bansal’s and Chief Business Officer Ankit Nagori had resigned from Flipkart
- Flipkart is an online market place that acquired fashion etailer Myntra in 2014, will continue to be an advisor to the company.
- Bansal had founded Myntra in 2007.
- Binny Bansal will now supervise the commerce and advertising platforms.
- Bansal had sold Myntra to Flipkart.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Wipro buys US-based HealthPlan Services for $460 million
Wipro signed an agreement to acquire the US-based HealthPlan Services from Water Street Healthcare Partners for $460 million. This is Wipro’s fourth acquisition in the last six months
- By partnering with HealthPlan Services, Wipro gains the competitive, first-mover advantage in the high growth public and private exchange space for individual, group and ancillary markets.
- The Health Plan acquisition is Wipro’s largest since it bought Infocrossing in 2007 for $600 million.
- Wipro CEO : Abidali Z. Neemuchwala
- HealthPlan Services CEO: Jeff Bak
MoU signed between Ministry of Railways and Governments of Telangana
Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) had been signed between Ministry of Railways and State Government of Telangana
- The MoU aims at Formation of Joint Venture Companies for Development of Railway Infrastructure in the State of Telangana.
- Setting up of Joint Ventures with states for focused project development, resource mobilization, land acquisition, project implementation and monitoring of critical rail projects.
- MoUs will be proved as the new innovation for formation of JV companies.
MoU signed to set up joint venture for Railway project in C’garh
Railways joined hands with the Chhattisgarh government for laying of 762 km-long rail line in the state as part of the rail infrastructure development plan.
- The MoU envisages formation of a joint venture company with the state for execution of rail projects. The JV companies will have 51 per cent stake of the state government and 49 per cent of Railways.
- The governments of 17 states have consented to formation of joint venture companies with Railways for rail infrastructure development.
- Chhattisgarh is the fifth state to join hands with the Railways for speedy execution of rail projects through JV route
- Chhattisgarh Capital: Raipur
- Chhattisgarh Governor: Balramji Das Tandon
- Chhattisgarh CM: Raman Singh
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Google launches public flood alerts in India
Google will launch a public flood alerts feature in India.The feature will be available through Google Public Alerts.
- It will provide a platform through which company uses for disseminating emergency messages.
- It will display details such as a map, expected timeline and precaution and safety measures related to the area.
- It can help to find flood alerts with river level information for more than 170 areas.
Quinton De Kock the wicketkeeper and batsman of South Africa became the fastest to make10 One Day International (ODI) centuries.
- He took mere 55 innings to reach as many centuries.
- During the third ODI match against England at Centurion he achieved this.
Lord’s To Host Women’s World Cup Final In 2017
The hallowed Lord’s will host the final of the Women’s Cricket World Cup in 2017 in London.
- The matches will starts from June 26 to July 23.
- This will be a 28-day tournament which wills feature 31 games.
- Eight teams will participate in a single-league format.
- It will be the first time that the tournament will be held in England.
- Australia is the current holders of Women’s Cricket World Cup
Veteran director Aurobindo Mukherjee passes away
Veteran film director Aurobindo Mukherjee passed away. He was 97.
About Aurobindo Mukherjee :
- Mukherjee was the maker of cult Bengali classics like ‘Agniswar‘, ‘Mouchak‘ and ‘Nishipadma‘ all starring matinee idol Uttam Kumar in the early 70s.
- Mukherjee had also discovered a young Jaya Bhaduri and marry superstarAmitabh Bachchan in ‘Dhanyee Meye’ in 1971.
International Day of Women and Girls in Science
11th February was declared by the United Nations General Assembly as International Day Women and Girls in Science.
Purpose: To highlight female achievement, equal access and participation in the science field.
- On December 22nd 2015, the 70th Session of the United Nations General Assembly adopted a groundbreaking resolution to establish an annual International Day of Women and Girls in Science.
Theme : Transforming the World: Parity in Science