On the sidelines of Digital India and to bring transparency in Indian Railways, Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu has initiated 3 IT enabled applications.
- These IT enabled projects have been launched at a function held through Video-Conferencing at Rail Bhawan in Mumbai.
Here are the new launches:
- Paperless unreserved ticketing mobile application.
- Hand Held Terminals for TTEs.
- E-booking of disposable linen on trains.
About Paperless Unreserved Ticketing:
Indian Railways has developed a paperless Unreserved Ticketing Mobile Application “UTSONMOBILE” with the succor of CRIS.
- During the booking process, on-screen alerts have been provided to usher the passenger.
- Payment for the ticket is done through the “Railway Wallet” feature in the app.
In April, 2015 the pilot project for paperless journey tickets was rolled out between Chennai Egmore & Tambaram suburban section of Southern Railway but after expansion, now the project has overlaid 345 stations covering a distance of 955 Kms.
About Hand Held Terminals:
It will help in apprising the status of passenger list of the train. This app fortifies greater transparency in the allotment of Accommodation onboard.
- Once the allotments have been made, remaining vacant berths will be sent back to HHT Application Servers and can be viewed on PRS terminal as well as on website.
About E-booking of Disposable Linen:
This facility will allows passengers to avail bedroll kits through online booking and from over the counter at select outlets set up by the IRCTC on the stations.
- The booking of bedrolls can be made while confirming e-tickets or up to four hours prior to the scheduled departure of the train on the basis of online payment.
Features of Bedrolls:
Bedrolls are disposable and their cost is inclusive of all taxes and uniform across stations over Indian Railways.
- Type 1 – Bedroll kit packed in a non-woven fabric bag consisting of 2 cotton bedsheets and 1 pillow at a cost of 140.
- Type 2 – Blanket kit packed in a non-woven bag consisting of 1 blanket at a cost of 110.