The IX Phase of the prestigious Science Express exhibition train which is on a nationwide tour since February 17, 2017 reached Sindhudurg in Maharashtra on July 17, 2017.
- This phase of train is being referred as ‘Science Express Climate Action Special (SECAS) – II’ as it conveys message about global challenge related to climate change
- Sindhudurg leg of Science Express was inaugurated on July 17, 2017 by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu through Video Conferencing from Delhi.
- This exhibition train will be available for public viewing at Roha Railway Station on July 18, 2017 and after that at Mumbai CST from 19th to 22nd July 2017.
About Science Express Exhibition Train Programme:
Science Express is a flagship programme of the of Science & Technology (DST), under Union Ministry of Science and Technology.
- It is an innovative mobile science exhibition mounted on a 16 coach AC train, travelling across India since October 2007.
- So far, it has made eight tours of the country, travelling about 1,53,000 km and exhibiting at 495 locations.
- Over its 1712 exhibition days, Science Express received an overwhelming response and 64 crore visitors.
- Science Express has become the largest, the longest running and the most visited mobile science exhibition and has registered twelve entries in the Limca Book of Records.
- Exhibition is open to all and there is no entry fee. It primarily targets students and teachers.
Phases of Science Express and Themes:
|Phase I to IV||Cutting-edge research in Science and Technology being carried out worldwide|
|Phase V to VII||Biodiversity – ‘Science Express Biodiversity Special (SEBS)’|
|Phase VIII||Global challenge of climate change – ‘Science Express Climate Action Special (SECAS)’|
|Phase IX||Global challenge of climate change – ‘Science Express Climate Action Special (SECAS) – II’|
Details about Science Express Climate Action Special (SECAS) – II and major attractions:
The current ninth phase of the Science Express as SECAS II was flagged off on Feb 17, 2017 from Delhi Safdarjung Railway Station by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu, Dr. Harsh Vardhan – Minister of Science & Technology and Earth Sciences; and Late Anil Madhav Dave – Minister of State (I/C) for Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
- The current tour of SECAS – II is scheduled from Feb 17, to Sept 8, 2017, during which it will be exhibited at 68 stations across India, covering 19000 km.
- SECAS II is a unique collaborative initiative of Dept. of Science & Technology (DST), Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC), Dept. of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Railways, Govt of India; Wildlife Institute of India (WII) and Vikram A Sarabhai Community Science Centre (VASCSC).
- Of the 16 coaches of SECAS – II, exhibition in 8 coaches put up by MoEFCC, is exclusively devoted to information, case studies and material related to various aspect of Climate change, the underlying science, impacts, adaptation activities, mitigation solutions and policy approaches in a manner that is easy to understand and interesting for not just school students but also the masses. In rest of the rake, there are exhibits and activities put up by Dept. of Science & Technology (DST) and Dept. of Biotechnology (DBT).
- DST has entrusted Vikram A Sarabhai Community Science Centre (VASCSC), Ahmedabad with the task of managing the SECAS across India. VASCSC’s team of qualified, trained and highly motivated Science Communicators travelling with the train explain and interpret the exhibition, answers queries, facilitate the visitors and conduct complementary activities.