131st edition of the Wimbledon Championships tennis tournament took place at All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom from 3rd – 16th July 2017.
- Men’s Singles Winner: Roger Federer of Switzerland became the first man to win Wimbledon eight times and extended his record to 19 Grand Slam titles with victory over Croatia’s Marin Cilic in Men’s Singles Finals at Wimbledon.
- Women’s Singles Winner: Garbine Muguruza of Spain won her first Wimbledon title in Women’s Singles category. She defeated Venus Williams of US in the finals.
Wimbledon 2017 – Winners:
|Men’s Singles||Roger Federer (Switzerland)||Marin Cilic (Croatia)|
|Women’s Singles||Garbine Muguruza (Spain)||Venus Williams (US)|
|Men’s Doubles||Lukasz Kubot (Poland)
Marcelo Melo (Brazil)
|Oliver MArach (Austria)
Mate Pavic (Croatia)
|Women’s Doubles||Ekaterina Makarova (Russia)
Elena Vesnina (Russia)
|Monica Niculescu (Romania)
Chan Hao-ching (Taiwan)
|Mixed Doubles||Jamie Murray (UK)
Martina Hingis (Switzerland)
|Heather Watson (UK)
Henri Kontinen (Finland)
Roger Federer becomes oldest Wimbledon male champion:
At 35 years and 11 months, Roger Federer has become oldest Wimbledon male champion in the Open era (since 1968).
- The previous oldest man to win Wimbledon Men’s Finals was 31-year-old American Arthur Ashe in 1975.
- Federer surpasses Pete Sampras and William Renshaw, who won their seventh titles in 2000 and 1889 respectively, with only Martina Navratilova still ahead in terms of Wimbledon singles titles on nine.
About Wimbledon Championships:
The Championships, Wimbledon, commonly known as Wimbledon, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world, and is widely regarded as one of the most prestigious.
- It has been held at the All England Clubin Wimbledon, London, since 1877 and is played on outdoor grass courts.
- It is one of the four Grand Slam tennis tournaments and the only one played on the grass courts.
- For the year 2017, the total prize money pool was Great British Pound 31600000.