Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs April 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
The Highlights of Maritime India Summit 2016 mentioned below.
- Maritime Heritage Museum – A top draw
- PM Modi pitches for Rs. 1 Lakh Crore investment for Port Development
- Maiden Maritime India Summit draws enthusiastic investor response –140 agreements signed
- Sagarmala National Perspective Plan Released
- Top maritime industries show Rs 35,000 crore investment intentions for Gujarat
Jharkhand Government launched Bhimrao Ambedkar Awas Yojana for widows. The special features of the scheme mentioned below.
- A target of 11,000 units (houses) has been set in the current financial year for the programme, he said adding Rs 80 crore has been earmarked in the budget for it.
- Rs 75,000 would be granted to build a house in districts in hilly terrains and Rs 70,000 in plains in three instalments
- The widows would also get pension
- Commission for Schedule Caste would be set up soon.
Government renames Panagarh airbase after former IAF Chief Arjan Singh
Union government has renamed the Panagarh airbase Base as Air Force Station Arjan Singh in honour of the Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh. This the first time that government decided to rename an airbase after an individual.
- This Honour came from the government on the 97th birthday of Arjan Singh, Marshal of the Indian Air Force.
- The government earlier conferred the rank of the Marshal of the Indian Air Force on Arjan Singh in 2002 making him the first and the only Five Star rank officer with the Indian Air Force.
Panagarh airbase Base Station- West Bengal:
- The Air base station is located in Burdwan district which is around 150 kms from Kolkata. Panagarh was constructed in 1944 during the Second World War.
- Air Force Station played a significant role in the 1965 and 1971 wars with Pakistan.
Trimbakeshwar allows entry of women with rider, activists
The Trimbakeshwar Devasthan Trust in Maharashtra to allow women into the sanctum sanctorum of Shiva temple for an hour every day.
- The Temple Trust allowed with a rider that they must wear wet cotton or silk clothes while offering prayers in the core area. Women activists have, however, refused to abide by the rule and lodged a police complaint against the Temple Trust.
- This Decision comes in the aftermath of trust meeting that arrived on the decision following an agitation by Pune-based Swarajya Sanghatana.
Delhi was acknowledged by Dell as one of 50 future-readyeconomies around the world that are embracing technology to adapt and thrive in an ever-changing and globalized future.
- The efforts put in by the Delhi and Union government to make a digitally enabled nation, one that allows for last mile connectivity and helps improve the quality of life.
- Delhi is ranked 44th on the list which is topped by San Jose, followed by San Francisco, Singapore and London as the world’s most future-ready cities.
New York City declared this year’s April 14 as ‘Bindeshwar Pathak Day’ in recognition” of the contributions made by the Indian social activist and ‘Sulabh International’ founder for improving the lives of people engaged in the “most dehumanising situation”.
- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio honoured Pathak for his outstanding work to improve health and hygiene and “moving the world forward“.
Apollo ties up with Google Health Card in India
- Chennai based Apollo Hospitals group has tied-up withsearch giant Google in providing health information as part of the Google’s launch of Health Card in India.
- This new feature aims to give people access to health information quickly and easily.
- The Apollo Hospitals had collected comprehensive information on 400 diseases including malaria and dengue which would show up once the keyword of the disease was typed in.
Google’s Health Card:
- The Health Card is a highly standardised and reader friendly format of information that gets presented on the Google search engine.
- The health card comes with basic information about a disease on the Google search engine presented in a layman’s terms – like its prevalence, symptoms and diagnosis.
Bihar to ban supply of medicinal drugs with alcohol content
State government Bihar to restrict the supply of all medicinal drugs with alcohol contents. This is in the view of huge recovery of banned cough syrups like ‘Corex’ from bordering Araria district couple of days back.
- The banned medicines mostlyare in the analgesics, anti-depressant and psychotic condition segment.
- The finding from the government that youngsters from various districts of Bihar India, who have been fast falling for the cough syrups like Corex and Phensedyl to get their ‘high’ following the total prohibition of all types of liquor in the state with effect from April 5.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Achiever: T N Ninan, Chairman and Editorial Director of Business Standard
The award will be presented to Ninan by the Governor of Maharashtra C Vidyasagar Rao
Recognition: Extensive contribution to business journalism through good editorial leadership which he provided over the years to a host of publications.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Dhoni quits as Amrapali Brand Ambassador
India’s Limited edition Cricket Captain MS Dhoni has resigned as brand ambassador of realty firm Amrapali, days after the residents turned unhappy of a housing project in Noida launched a social media campaign asking the cricketer to dis-associate himself from the builder.
- The Micro blocking twitter hashtag #AmrapaliMisuseDhoni saw a total of 70,000 tweets, forcing Dhoni to react to it a day later at a press briefing.
- The campaign on social media appealing Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister AkhileshYadav to intervene in the matter and address their grievances.
- The Indian captain was the brand ambassador of the company for the last 6-7 years.
Rudra Gaurav Shresth appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Mozambique
IFS Officer from 1999 cadre Rudra Gaurav Shresth presently Director in the Ministry, has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Republic of Mozambique.
- He will assume his new duty soon.
- Capital: Maputo ; Currency: Metical
- Mozambique’s flag is the only national flag in the world to have a symbol of a modern weapon
- Mozambique is the only country in the Commonwealth never to have been part of the British Empire.
Geetha Johri becomes Gujarat’s first woman DGP
Geetha Johri is all set to become first woman top cop of Gujarat. With this she will be the Gujarat’s first woman IPS officer who promoted to DGP rank.
- Geetha has been promoted from the rank of ADGP to Director General of Police and she will continue at her present post as Managing Director of the Gujarat State Police Housing Corporation.
- She is a 1982-batch IPS officer, who is originally from Tamil Nadu.
Thomas Cook elevates Mahesh Iyer to COO post
Thomas Cook has elevated Mahesh Iyer, head of its foreign exchange division, to the position of chief operating officer(COO).
- He will be responsible for day to day business management.
- He will also be responsible for managing the visa and foreign exchange business in India, Mauritius and Sri Lanka.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Sikkim based National Institute of Technology has secured a rare distinction of having a supercomputer the institute achieved the most powerful and fastest among all the 31 NITs.
- The fastest computer named Param Kanchenjunga was formally unveiled by Sikkim Governor Shrinvas Patil at the NIT Sikkim campus at Ravangla in South Sikkim District.
ISRO is set to launch its seventh and last of the regional navigation spacecraft on April 28, The Space Agency has lined up a record-making feat towards the end of May.
- The Space Organisation will put Indian Spacecraft as well as 21 small and mostly foreign commercial satellites into the orbit by PSLV-C33 launcher.
Twin quakes kill 29 in south Japan, many trapped
In south western Japan two powerful earthquakes hit a day apart shook, killing at least 29 people and injuring 1,500, as thousands left their home in the tragedy.
- Magnitude-3 quake that shook the Kumamoto region on the southwestern island of Kyushu at 1:25 a.m. on the next day the nation was hit by a magnitude-6.5 quake that left 10 dead.
- Twin quakes’ epicenters have been relatively shallow – about 10 kilometers (6 miles) – and close to the surface, resulting in more severe shaking and damage.
Iconic African photographer Malick Sidibe passes away at 80
- Eminent Malian photographer Malick Sidibe has died at 80 years old, He had been ill for some time.
- Malick is known for his street scenes and studio shots that render a portrait of photos of Mali’s post-colonial period helped people see the Mali’s in a new light.
- He was the first African and the first photographer to win the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement, in 2007.
- The distinctions he earned are the International Center of Photography Infinity Award for Lifetime Achievement in 2008 and the Hasselblad Foundation’s annual award in 2003