Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs April 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
Union government is set to issue universal identity cards to the physically challenged with the objective of providing them easy access to various benefits being extended by the government
- The government was progressing towards distribution of modern motorized wheelchairs with British financial assistance and was also taking up the manufacturing of tricycles with German technological backup.
- Besides, steps were taken to provide barrier–free access to all government buildings in 50 cities and towns in a phased manner.
Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal laid the foundation stone for underground cabling work under Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS) in Varanasi. The Ministry has sanctioned Rs. 432 crores for the project.
Kashi-IPDS Mobile App:
- The minister also launched Kashi-IPDS Mobile App for project monitoring of IPDS activities in Old-Kashi in a transparent manner.
Under Ground Cables Conversion:
- The IPDS Scheme covers conversion of overhead lines to Underground cables, establishment of 2 new 33 Kv Sub-stations and augmentation of 11 nos. existing Sub-stations.
‘Green UP – Clean UP’ Programme: Five crore trees to be planted in UP
AkileshYadav led Uttar Pradesh government has directed all the district magistrates for plantation of 5 crore trees at 6,500 sites in 24 hours on a date fixed in month of July under the ‘Green UP – Clean UP initiative .
- The State Chief Secretary Alok Ranjan notified to DMs that the coding of plantation sites should be done according to IGRS based coding of NIC.
- All online data of plantation sites should be prepared with the cooperation of NIC to ensure effective district-wise monitoring.
- Uttar Pradesh is by far the most populated state in India.
- Varanasi is one of the world’s oldest living
- The KumbhaMela that is held every 12 years is another attraction of Uttar Pradesh.
Haryana Government appointed two-member inquiry panel to probe into Jat quota stir
Haryana government set up a two-member Commission of Inquiry headed by Retired Justice S N Jha, former Chief Justice of Jammu to probe the sequence of events leading to violence during the Jat agitation for reservation in February.
- The commission is formed under the Commissions of Inquiry Act, 1952.Another Inquiry Commission, headed by retired IPS officer Parkash Singh, is already probing into the lapses on part of government officials in tackling the Jat agitation and subsequent arson.
- The Commission has given a six-month deadline, from the date of its first sitting, to the Commission to submit its report. The headquarters of the Commission will be in Chandigarh.
- While the Parkash Singh Commission is required to submit its report to the state government by April 1
All UP homes will get power by 2019: PiyushGoyal
The government will provide electricity to all villages in Uttar Pradesh located in remote locations and aims to provide electricity 24/7 to every household in India by 2019.
- Power Ministry aimed to provide electricity to each and every household in the State before 2019.
- About 1,364 had been electrified under the rural electrification Programme since the NDA government came to power at the Centre.
Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs:
- The State has also become the fastest State to replace one crore bulbs with energy-efficient LEDs distributed under the Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA) Programme.
Prime Minister visits Puttingal Devi Temple following fire mishap
Prime Minister visited the Puttingal Devi temple at Kollam, following fire mishap. The mishap happened due to the display of fireworks occurred on the last day of the seven-day ‘Meena Bharani’ festivities.
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has announced an ex-gratia relief of 2 lakh each from PMNRF for the next of kin of those who lost their lives in the fire in Kollam.
- The PM also announced a solatium of Rs. 50, 000 to those who are injured in the fire.
China and Sri Lanka have decided to redefine the Colombo Port City project by making it an international financial outpost in the Indian Ocean, as part of the 20-year framework
- Once the Port comes to operation it will be the bigger city in the Indian Ocean where there will be more opportunity of infrastructure development by Chinese and other companies.
- The two sides will use the development of a 21st Century Maritime Silk Road as an opportunity to further advance infrastructure development, promote joint ventures and expand cooperation in the areas of economy, culture, science and technology and people to people contacts.
Dubai to build tower taller than BurjKhalifa
Dubai plans to build a tower that will stand higher than its BurjKhalifa, currently the world’s tallest skyscraper, will be built by property developer Emaar. The total cost will be USD 1 billion.
- The Tower in Dubai Creek Harbour, a 6-square-kilometer master development, will be a notch higher than 828-metre BurjKhalifa.
- The tower will be ready before Dubai hosts Expo 2020 and Visitors will have a 360 degree views of the city, with topmost floor will be a hotel.
- BurjKhalifa standing with828 meters high and it cost $1.5 billion to build. It was opened in January 2010.
US Navy leads largest maritime exercise in Middle East
The US Navy is leading 30-nation maritime exercise across Middle East Waters. The International Mine Countermeasures Exercise (IMCMEX) started with a conference in Bahrain.
- The exercise was designed to stop militants from causing disruption to shipping.
- It will help protect international trade routes against possible threats, including from Islamic State and al Qaeda.
BANKING & FINANCE
India offers $20 billion investment in Iran
India has offered to invest up to $20 billion in Iran announced by Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradha during his two day visit to Iran. This was the first visit by an Indian minister since the US and other western powers lifted sanctions against Iran in January.
Invetments Fields: New petrochemicals, fertiliser and liquefied natural gas (LNG) facilities
- Pradhan conveyed to the Iran government that Indian companies could invest up to $20 billion and were interested in setting up petrochemical and fertilizer plants, including in the Chabahar SEZ, either through joint venture between Indian and Iranian public sector companies or with private sector partners
- New Delhi and Tehran are trying to enhance their energy ties following the lifting of some sanctions this year on Iran.
- Iran Capital: Tehran
- Iran Currency :Rial
- Iran President: Hassan Rouhani
- Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas: Dharmendra Pradha(Bihar)
Micromax partners Visa, Tran Serv for pushing m-commerce
Micromax teams up with Visa and Tran Serv to promote digital payments. Users will be able to use mobile-based push payments using mVisa and make eCommerce payments on merchant and social media applications as well as interpersonal payments to personal contacts.
- The payment solutions will soon be available to Micromax smartphone users through the Udio app.
- Udio is a digital wallet enabled by It allows consumers to shop using a Visa card number linked to the underlying prepaid wallet, wherever Visa is accepted.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Tamil descendent Judge Navanetham Pillay, South Africa’s first non-white woman judge who is of Indian origin, has been convened upon the highest French civilian the Legion of Honour.
- Pillay is presently the 16th commissioner of the Madrid-based International Commission against the Death Penalty, which works with the United Nations and other bodies in promoting the abolition of capital punishment.
- She was the first non-white woman judge of the high court of South Africa and has also served as president of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda which tried leadersof a genocide.
Delhi girl Priyadarshini Chatterjee crowned Miss India World 2016
Delhi girl, Priyadarshini Chatterjee was announced as the winner of FBB Femina Miss India World by Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan during a star-studded ceremony.
- She saw off competition from Bangalore girl Sushruthi Krishna, who was the 1st runner up and Lucknow’s Pankhuri Gidwan.
- Priyadarshini will represent India at the Miss World 2016
ACQUISTIONS & MERGERS
Twitter acquires employee-manager feedback startup Peer
New York based Microblogging platform Twitter has acquired employee and manager feedback startup Peer.
- This Feedback tool was launched by former Salesforce COO George Hu in 2015.
- Peer used to create an environment where employees could monitor their performance continuously and send the reviews one to another.
- Twitter was one of the ten most-visited websites and has been described as “the SMS of the Internet”
- Twitter CEO:Jack Dorsey
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
BSNL testing WiFi-based network to connect about 1 lakh village panchayats
Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has started testing of WiFi based network to connect 1 lakh panchayats under rural broadband project of Government.
- The State Run Company in connection with Vihaan Networks has started testing the sustainability of WiFi network in three villages – Karenda, Phalsa and Bahadri – in Alwar district of Rajasthan.
- Under this project a wireless network over six kilometers has been set up.
- The project is being handled by a SPV under the Telecom Ministry which has distributed work to three CPSUs BSNL, Railtel and Powergrid.
Pakistan Navy successfully test-fires shore-based anti-ship missile
The Pakistan Navy has successfully conducted a test launch of the shore-based anti-ship Zarb Missile.
- The trial was conducted in the Arabian Sea and the weapon launched from a coastal site successfully engaged the surface target.
- The new missile system was part of Pakistan Navy’s continuous efforts to augment its capabilities.
- The launch termed as hallmark of the Navy’s combat preparedness and an important step towards further strengthening the country’s seaward defence.
- Capital: Islamabad
- Prime Minister: Nawaz Sharif
- President: MamnoonHussian
- Currency: Pakistani rupee
Chinese researchers introduce Graphene based all-weather solar cell
Chinese researchers have now introduced a new approach for making an all-weather solar cell developed a highly efficient dye-sensitized solar cell.
- To enable rain to produce electricity as well, they coated this cell with a whisper-thin film of
- Graphene is a 2D form of carbon in which the atoms are bonded into a honeycomb arrangement. It can readily be prepared by the oxidation, exfoliation, and subsequent reduction of graphite.
- The graphene shows high crystal quality with the reported lowest wrinkle height of 0.8 nm and a carrier mobility of greater than 7,100 cm2V−1 s−1 under ambient conditions.
- It is the world’s third largest country, after Russia and Canada.
- China does not recognize the dual nationality for any of its citizen
Britain’s Anthony Joshua won the International Boxing Federation heavyweight title in London with a second-round knockout of Charles Martin.
- Joshua became the first boxer in history to hold the Olympic super-heavyweight crown and a version of the world heavyweight title simultaneously with his stunning triumph at the O2 Arena, a few miles from where he won gold at the London 2012 Games.
World Homeopathy Day – April 10
World Homeopathy Day is celebrated every year on April 10th to honour the Father of Homeopathy System of medicine Dr. Samuel Hahnemann.
- Homeopathy is one of the major forms of treatment, adapted by most of the doctors of the world.
- This is a system of medicine that was developed by Dr. Samuel Hahnemann in Germany at the advent of the 18th century
About Dr. Samuel Hahnemann:
- Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemannwas born on on 10 April 1755
- He was a German physician, best known for creating the system of alternative medicine called homeopathy.
National Institute of Homeopathy :Kolkata, WB