Union government is set to issue universal identity cards to the physically challenged with the objective of providing them easy access to various benefits being extended by the government
- The government was progressing towards distribution of modern motorized wheelchairs with British financial assistance and was also taking up the manufacturing of tricycles with German technological backup.
- Besides, steps were taken to provide barrier–free access to all government buildings in 50 cities and towns in a phased manner.
- The cochlear implantations costing Rs.6 lakh were being done free of cost with the help of donations that comes NGOs like Bhagwan Mahaveer ViklangSahayataSamiti were extending great support to the government.
Physically Disabled Population in 2011-census:
- The 2011 Census says the number of disabled, which was2.68 crore that had 1.5 crore males and 1.18 crore females.
- Rural areas have more disabled people than urban areas. In Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Jammu and Kashmir and Sikkim, the disabled account for 5% of the total population, while Tamil Nadu and Assam are among those where the disabled population is less than 1.75% of the total population.
- According to the census, 20.3% of the disabled are movement disabled followed by hearing impaired (18.9%) and visually impaired (18.8%). Nearly 5.6% of the disabled population is mentally challenged, a classification introduced in the 2011 census.