Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Kerala to have price regulatory authority for hotels
The Kerala cabinet has ratified a bill that envisages district-level regulatory authorities to fix the prices of food items in hotels.
- When the Kerala Hotel (Food Price Regulation) Bill 2015is enacted into a law, the state will have such regulatory boards in all districts, headed by a district judge or law officer of similar rank.
- Except hotels in star and heritage categories, all eateries will come under the regulatory board.
Key points :
- Kerala CM : Oommen Chandy
- Kerala Governor : P. Sathasivam
- Kerala Capital : Thiruvananthapuram
Winter sessions of Parliament began
Winter session of Parliament has been started from November 26th and December 23rd, 2015. The legislative agenda includes 19 Bills currently pending in Parliament for consideration and passage.Parliament will go paperless from this session.
- From this session onwards, annual reports from the ministries, committee reports, private members’ bills, unstarred questions and bulletin -1 will be uploaded on Parliament website.
- 14 new Bills are proposed to be introduced. Out of these one will also be taken up for consideration and passing. Two Bills will be withdrawn.
IRCTC widens Food on Track, ties up with Food Panda
Further broadening its innovative e-catering facility Food on Track, IRCTC has tied up with online delivery firm Food Panda, enabling consumers to order from a variety of cuisine options.
- The collaboration to be launched in New Delhi railway station next month will provide customers with the choice to order meals at least two hours before the travel.
- The delivery, typically, will be aligned to the arrival time of the train at the station. Consumers can either make advance online payment for the order or make an on-the-spot payment.
IRCTC’s Food on Track has KFC, Domino’s, Street Foods, Wimpy, TFS, Jan Aahar, Ratna Cafe, Mio Amore, Alibaba, Cafe Lite, Hello Curry and Ratna Cafe besides IRCTC Food Plaza and IRCTC Fast Food Units under its umbrella.
- The e-catering facility allows passengers to order meals while travelling, either online at www.ecatering.irctc.co.in or by making a phone call to 0120-2383892-99 or the toll-free number at 1800-1034-139.
- They can also choose to do so through an SMS to 139 by giving details of their PNR and seat number.
In Jaipur, a Metro Station Run Only by Women
Jaipur Metro Rail Corporation (JMRC) is the first in the country to let only women staffs single-handedly man a busy metro station.
- JMRC claims this is their way of empowering women and giving them their own space to lead others and show their mettle.
- The Shyam Nagar Metro Station on the Mansarovar-Chandpole route will have 32 women employees, who will manage and control the entire station.
- The women at the helm would frisk passengers, help in security, aid passengers to purchase tickets and tokens at the vend machines, maintain tracks and civil structures. Customer relations officer would also be present at the station, helping to keep the station spick and span and also customer ready.
JMRC already claims 30% of its manpower consists of women, including train operators and station controllers. Even 25% of train operators are women.
- The first metro train which rolled out on June 3 this year was also manned by a women operator Jyoti Rani Khanakwal.
On the sidelines of 4th meeting of the India-US Defense Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI) held at the Pentagon, the two nations have made progress on their ambitious collaboration in the fields of jet engine and aircraft carrier technology.
- The terms of reference for Jet Engine Technology Joint Working Group has been finalised and is likely to be signed in December while the second meeting of the Joint Working Group on Aircraft Carrier Technology Cooperation (JWGACTC) has been slated for February, 2016.
- India and U.S. committed to continue to exchange ideas in the search for additional projects for possible co-development and co-production that meet the spirit of DTTI.
BANKING AND FINANCE
Govt extends RuPay Card usage condition to 90 days for a claim under an inbuilt accident insurance cover in case of RuPay Classic cardholders with effect from 25th November 2015. As on 20.11.2015, out of 697 claims lodged under accidental Insurance under RuPay Debit Card in PMJDY accounts, 644 claims have been disposed off.
- National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI) has extended 45 days usage condition to 90 Days for RuPay Classic cardholders.
- Accordingly, accident arising on or after 00:00:01 25th Nov 2015 will be considered for extended period.
Govt announces more tax incentives for shipbuilding industry
The government has decided to provide slew of tax incentives including exemption from excise and custom duties on all raw materials and parts used for making vessels. These notifications were issued on November 24.
Aim : To promote domestic shipbuilding industry.
Key facts :
- The raw material used for manufacturing of ships or vessels in Export Oriented Units(EOUs) will be exempt from basic customs duty and excise duty.
- Exemption from basic customs duty and additional duty of customs was available on all raw materialand parts subject to the condition that manufacturing takes place in a custom bounded warehouse.
RBI defer issue date of Sovereign Gold Bond
The Government of India in consultation with Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to issue Sovereign Gold Bonds. The Bonds will be issued on November 26, 2015, for which applications will be accepted from November 05, 2015 to November 20, 2015.
Period of time : 8 years with exit option from 5th year to be exercised on the interest payment dates.
- Minimum– 2 grams of gold.
- Maximum – more than 500 grams per person
- Interest rate : 2.75 per cent per annum
Other Information :
- The price of the gold bond will be fixed in Indian Rupees on the basis of the price of gold of 999 purity published by the India Bullion and Jewellers Association Ltd(IBJA) under Government of India Stock under GS Act, 2006.
- The interest on Gold Bonds shall be taxable as per the provision of Income Tax Act, 1961(43 of 1961).
Eminent physicist and Padma Bhushan awardee Trilochan Pradhan has been conferred with the prestigious “Kalinga Samman 2014” for popularising science among the common man in Odisha.
- Mr. Pradhan was honoured by chief minister Naveen Patnaik at a function. Pradhan is considered an iconic personality and role model for others in the field of advanced scientific research, particularly in the field of physical sciences.
Indian-origin Antonio Costa is new Portugal Prime Minister
Indian-origin Anibal Cavaco Silva has appointed Goa-origin Antonio Costa as the new prime minister of Portugal after the election held on October 4.Costa’s Socialist Party (PS) did not win the election.
- He is the latest in the large Indian diaspora across the globe to reach top political positions from Fiji to many countries.
About Antonio Costa :
- Costa is the son of prominent novelist Orlando da Costa, whose writings included essays on Rabindranath Tagore. He has held several positions in previous governments and in the European Union.
- Portugal was the first western countryto colonise parts of India in the early sixteenth century, and the last to leave, on December 19, 1961.
Key points :
- Portugal Capital : Lisbon
- PortugalCurrency : Euro
Sunil Kanoria takes over as Assocham president
SREI Infrastructure Finance vice-chairman Sunil Kanoria assumed charge as president of industry bodyAssocham. He is also the joint Managing Director of SREI BNP Paribas.
About Sunil Kanoria :
- Sunil Kanoriais currently a council member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India ( ICAI) as a nominee of the Government of India.
- Kanoria has been associated with several industry associations Construction Industry Development Council (CIDC), Hire Purchase & Lease Association, Kolkata (HPLA), Merchants’ Chamber of Commerce, Kolkata (MCC) and Federation of Indian Hire Purchase Association (FIHPA).
- He has also held the prestigious position as Member of the Working Group on Construction for the Tenth Five-Year Plan (2002-07) of the Planning Commission,Government of India.
About ASSOCHAM :
- The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India(ASSOCHAM) is one of the apex trade associations of India.
- The organisation represents the interests of trade and commerce in India, and acts as an interface between industry, government and other relevant stakeholders on policy issues and initiatives.
- Headquarters : New Delhi
Former Infosys CFO Rajiv Bansal joins Ola as CFO
App Ola has appointed Infosys veteran Rajiv Bansal as its chief financial officer.
- Bansal who has over 21 years experience,earlier this position he was the CFO and recently transitioned to being an Advisor to the CEO at IT firm Infosys.
- From January 2016 he will be part of Ola’s leadership team. Mitesh Shah, who is currently the CFO, will lead Strategic Finance Initiatives as part of Rajiv’s team, going forward.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
India successfully test-fired it’s indigenously developed nuclear capable Prithvi-II missile, which has a strike range of 350 km, as part of a user trial by the Army.The missile test was carried out from a mobile launcher from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur.
- The trial data of the missile was conducted by the Strategic Force Command (SFC)and showed positive results.
“Bharat Ko Janiye” Online Quiz launched for the Indian Diaspora
Union Minister for the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MoIA) and the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Smt. Sushma Swaraj launched the “Bharat Ko Janiye” an online quiz program for the Indian Diaspora.
- The “Bharat Ko Janiye” Quiz is targeted for the Indian Diaspora youth across the globe. It is intended to educate them about India’s progress in various fields like, Science & Technology, Manufacturing, Industry, Communication & Information Technology etc. and also about the different facets Indian life.
With this quiz program, the Ministry would like to help the Diaspora youth and NRIs to learn and understand the culture, history and the development of their ancestral country. The Quiz is open for both PIOs and NRIs between the age group of 18 – 35 years.
- Top 10 participants each from the Qualifying round of both PIO and NRI categories will be invited to India for the Final round Live Quiz. The Final round which is a Live Quiz will be held in New Delhi on 7th January, 2016.
- The winners of the Final Round will be felicitated during the Pravasi Bharati Divas event at New Delhi to be held from 8th to10th January 2016.
Betting company to sponsor Davis Cup, Fed Cup
The International Tennis Federation (ITF) defended its decision to sign up one of the world’s top online betting companies to sponsor its flagship Davis Cup and Fed Cup events.
- Betwayis a well-respected international betting brand. The ITF and Betway share the mission to keep the sport of tennis clean.
- Betway was introduced as an international sponsor at last week’s Fed Cup final in Prague.The company’s sponsorship of both the men’s and women’s team competitions will continue for three yearsuntil 2018.
Noted litterateur Surendra Upadhyay passes away
Noted litterateur and former chairman of Rajasthan Brijbhasha Academy,Professor Surendra Upadhyay(74) died due to cardiac arrest.
About Surendra Upadhyay :
- Upadhyay had also served as chairman of Rajasthan Pradesh Congress Committee Intellectual Cell.
- Upadhyay was the recipient of Doctor of Literature (DLit)at the university of Rajasthan where he was head of the department.
- He was engaged with a TV serial ‘Yamuna Kinare‘ as director and writer at the time of his death, Gandhi added.
- He has authored at least three dozens of books, mainly short fiction, critic and poetry.
- The writer had also worked on analysing ‘Kamayani’(an epic Hindi poem) written by yesteryears novelist, playwright and poet Jaishankar Prasad.
NPF MP Khekiho Zhimomi dies
An active social worker Khekiho Zhimomi(69) a Rajya Sabha member of Nagaland People’s Front died .
About Khekiho Zhimomi :
- Zhimomirepresented the state of Nagaland in the Rajya Sabha which was adjourned for the day as a mark of respect to the departed leader.
- He was a Rajya Sabha member for two terms from July 2008 to April 2010 and from April 2010 till his demise.
- He was first elected to the Nagaland Legislative Assembly in 1989 and served as MLA for three terms from 1989 to 1992, from 1993 to 1997 and from 2003 to 2008.
- He also served as Cabinet Minister in charge of Industries and Commerce in the Nagaland People’s Council Government headed by Chief Minister Vamuzo in 1990.
Noted Indian-Origin Businessman Banwari Lal Mittal died
Nepal’s noted Indian-origin businessman Banwari Lal Mittal passed away today at his residence here after protracted illness. He was 79.
- Mittal served as chairman of Nepal Chamber of Commerce and Marwadi Sewa Samiti.
- He was also involved with various social organisations.
- Mittal had launched Shree Airlines some 16 years ago. The airline is the largest chartered helicopter services of Nepal boasting seven helicopters.
Veteran soap actor David Canary passes away at 77
Longtime soap opera actor David Canary, best known for his role as twin brothers on “All My Children” has died at age 77.
- Canary’s career spanned more than five decades, with appearance in the film “Hombre” and “Saint Valentine’s Day Massacre” before earning recurring roles on “Peyton Place” and “Bonanza.” In December 1983, he joined the cast of “All My Children” as twins Adam and Stuart Chandler. Playing the brothers – one evil and the other good-hearted – brought Canary his greatest fame and five Daytime Emmy Awards.
In October, while laying the foundation stone of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Memorial in Mumbai, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that this year onwards, November 26 would be observed as Constitution Day.
- The Constitution Day events will be a part of the year-long nationwide celebrations to mark the 125th birth anniversary of Ambedkar.
- With this day India will pay its tribute to “the great men and women” who gave the country its constitution and recognize the “stellar contribution” of Dr B R Ambedkar.
National Milk Day
India celebrated National Milk Day on November 26 to marks the birth anniversary of India’s most successful dairy entrepreneur Varghese Kurien.
- For the first time in the history of India’s dairy sector, all the dairy majors have joined hands to celebrate National Milk Day.
- Globally since 2001,June 1is annually celebrated as World Milk Day after the day was designated by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.The idea of observing National Milk Day was first mooted by Indian Dairy Association (IDA) in 2014.
About Varghese Kurien :
- Verghese Kurienwas an Indian social entrepreneur who is known as the Father of White Revolution in India for the world’s largest agricultural development programme.
- This transformed India from a milk-deficient nation to the world’s largest milk producer, surpassing the United States of America in 1998 with about 17 percent of global output in 2010–11,
- Dairy farming became India’s largest self-sustaining industry. He founded major institutes such asAnand Milk Federation Union Limited, National Dairy Development Board and Institute of Rural Management Anand.