Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
With continued threat to the Taj Mahal due to pollution around it, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) has sought a report into illegal felling of trees in the eco-sensitive zone around the monument by December 16.
- A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar gave this direction to advocate activist and lawyer C. Mehta, who was appointed as local commissioner to enquire into felling of 4,000 trees around the Taj by December 16.
Delhi residents will now be able to access a host of Delhi government services online and get documents verified for the issuance of nearly a dozen certificates under an ambitious “e-District project”.
Project nickname – Guiding Light
- It was launched by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal at Delhi Secretariat in New Delhi .
Royal Proclamation allowed Saudi Arabia Women to Vote and Contest in Municipal Elections
Saudi Arabia allowed women to vote and contest in municipal elections. For the first time 979 women out of the total 6917 registered candidates allowed to register and campaign for 284 municipal councils on 29 November 2015.
- In earlier election men only allowed to vote.
- Women make up a quarter of the country’s Shura Council (Consultative Assembly of Saudi Arabia).
Key points :
- Saudi Arabia Capital : Riyadh
- Saudi Arabia Currency : Riyal
- Saudi Arabia King : Salman bin Abdulaziz.
Russia imposes economic sanctions against Turkey
Relations between Turkey and Russia have sharply deteriorated since Turkey shot down a Russian jet. President Vladimir Putin signed a decree imposing a raft of punitive economic sanctions against Turkey
- Russia imposing economic sanctions and revoking a visa-free agreement, while Turkey has sought to cool tensions, seeing the Paris climate change talks that start this week as a chance to mend ties.
- Both United States along with other allies, including Turkey, as well as Russia are carrying out air campaigns against the Islamic State (IS) and other groups.
- However, Russia sides with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, and has been accused by the West of using its bombing campaign to help him instead of targeting the IS.
Key points :
- Russia Capital, Currency :Moscow, Russian Ruble
- Turkey Capital , Currency : Ankara, Turkish lira
China’s yuan set for IMF reserve status
International Monetary Fund agreed to add the Chinese yuan to its reserves basket in the biggest shake-up in more than three decades.By acknowledging the yuan as a major global currency alongside the dollar, euro, yen, and pound, as is widely expected.
Highlights of China’s Currency Yuvan :
- Chinese sources suggest adding the yuan to the IMF basket leaves economic conservatives better positioned to resist further significant reform in a reminder of the period following China’s entry to the World Trade Organization (WTO).
- The yuan has fallen almost 3 per cent against the dollar this year, on course for its biggest annual fall since its landmark 2005 revaluation.
Key points :
- China Capital : Beijing
- China President : Xi Jinping
BANKING & FINANCE
World Bank launched a $500 million market-based scheme designed to help developing countries pay for emission reductions and combat climate change.
- Germany, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland have jointly pledged an initial $250 million to get the Transformative Carbon Asset Facility (TCAF) while the bank hopes further contributions will take the eventual total to $500 mn.
SBT launches ‘affordable housing loan’ scheme
State Bank of Travancore (SBT) has launched a ‘Housing for All (Urban): Mission 2022’ to provide affordable housing to families belonging to the economically weaker sections/low-income groups in the urban centres.
- The scheme upholds the spirit of the ‘Swachh Bharath Mission’ by insisting on a toilet for every house that is built.
Affordable housing loan scheme :
- As part of the scheme, loans will be advanced in line with the Centre’s target of providing ‘pucca’ residential houses for all urban Indian families by the year 2022.
The loans will be available for beneficiaries in two segments
- Those with a household annual income of up to Rs. 3 lakh under the economically weaker sections
- Those with a household annual income between Rs. 3,00,001 and Rs. 6 lakh under the low-income group.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
CVRDE scientist V Balaguru bags DRDO’s top award
A scientist at the Combat Vehicle Research and Development Establishment bagged the DRDO’s Scientist of the Year Award 2013, award presented by by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar.
About V Balaguru :
- V Balaguru, Scientist ‘G’ has been instrumental in designing and integrated Improved chassis and Turret mechanical system of Arjun MBT Mark II Prototype in record time and later was elevated as trial Team Leader.
- He pioneered the incorporation of improved medium fording capability with improved sealing efficacy and also undertook stringent user trials, Accelerated Usage and Reliability Trials and country evaluation trials of Arjun Main Battle Tank Mark I trials.
Anil Khanna re-elected as president of Asian Tennis Federation
Anil Khanna, who was recently elected vice-president of the world tennis body ITF, was re-elected as the Asian Tennis Federation (ATF) president for another four-year years at ATF’s Annual General Meeting in Colombo.
- Khanna is also the head of AllIndia Tennis Federation (AITA).
- Randy Villanueva was appointed as treasurer of the Asian body while Sheikh Ahmad Al Sabah of Kuwait was made the honorary life president.
- Nasser Al Ghanim Al Khelaifi of Qatar was appointed as the new chairman.
Asian Tennis Federation :
The Asian Tennis Federation (ATF) is a non-profit organization affiliated with the International Tennis Federation. It is a continental body of national tennis associations of Asian countries. There are currently 44 member associations who represents their respective nations.
Lt Gen Ashok Ambre takes command of Army’s 9 Corps
Lt Gen Ashok Ambre took over as the new chief of Army’s 9 Corps (Rising Star Corps). He took over the position from Lt Gen Rajeev Tewari, who has been posted as GOC (General Officer Commanding) in West Bengal.
- He is responsible for the formation, oversaw the effective handling of counter- terrorists operations, resulting in the elimination of all infiltrating terrorists and the successful conduct of rescue missions in the Corps zone.
Army’s 9 Corps :
The 9 corps falls under the Western Command of the Army and is responsible for providing second tier of security along the International Border in the three districts of Jammu, Samba and Kathua of Jammu and Kashmir.
Mahesh Gupta takes over as PHDCCI President
Mahesh Gupta appointed as the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PHDCCI) President. He succeeds Alok Shriram who demited office as PHDCCI President
About Mahesh Gupta :
- Gupta is currently Chairman of Kent RO Systems Ltd and he is a Mechanical Engineering Graduate from IIT Kanpur (1975) and Post Graduate in Petroleum Conservation from IIP, Dehradun.
- Gupta started his entrepreneurial journey in 1999 from scratch by inventing the country’s first dual technology water purifier.
Dubai bank Mashreq appoints new retail bank head
A 55-year-old Indian banker Som Subroto has been appointed as head of Dubai-based Mashreq’s retail banking group, third-biggest bank by assets said by Abdul Aziz Al Ghurair, CEO of Mashreq
About Som Subroto:
- Som Subroto, alumnus of IIT Delhi and IIM Ahmedabad has taken over from Farhad Irani, who is leaving after almost five years
- Som has three decades of retail banking experience with organisations like Citi Bank and Standard Chartered where he has held several senior business, risk and operations assignments.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
The Indian Coast Guard (ICG) commissioned an interceptor boat at the Karaikal port to enhance its shallow water operational capability along the South Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coast.
- ICGS C-422 was commissioned by Speaker of the Puducherry Assembly Sabapathywith full military honours in the presence of Inspector-General S.P. Sharma, Commander, Coast Guard Region (East), Deputy Inspector-General S.C. Tyagi and Karaikal Station Commandant S.N.M. Patnaik.
Birhanu Legese from Ethiopia and Cynthia Limo from Kenya have won the 2015 Delhi Half Marathon in men’s and women’s categories respectively. In this eighth edition of marathon around 34,000 athletes and amateur runners from different parts of the world had participated.
India defeated Bangladesh to win Under-19 Tri-Series cricket title
Three nations India, Bangladesh and Afghanistan were participated in the Tri-Nation Under-19s Tournament in India, 2015/16.India defeated Bangladesh by seven wickets to won the Under-19 one day tri series at Kolkata.
- Man of the match : Sarfaraz Khan – 59 run in 27 balls.
- Man of the series : Rishabh Pant – 282 run in four matches.
Nico Rosberg wins 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix title of F1
German Formula 1 driver Nico Rosberg won for the Mercedes team the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix or Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on Yas Island,it was his third successive victory of the season
- He has won 10 races and taken 11 pole positions on his way to sealing the championship. It was his14th championship title of F1and 6th title in 2015
- His success also marked Mercedes’ 12th one-two finish of the season, representing a new Formula-1 record.
|Position||Name of the Person|
|First Position||Nico Rosberg (Germany) of Mercedes team.|
|Second Position||Lewis Hamilton (Great Britain) of Mercedes team.|
|Third Position||Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) of Ferrari team.|
Great Britain wins 2015 Davis Cup of Tennis
Great Britain won the Davis Cup for the first time in 79 years since the Davis Cup World Group started in 1981 in Ghent.Andy Murray defeated David Goffin in the first of the reverse singles for a title-clinching 3-1 lead over Belgium in the final
Team Winners :
About Davis Cup :
The Davis Cup is the premier international team event in men’s tennis. It is run by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) and is contested annually between teams from competing countries in a knock-out format.
- It is described by the organisers as the “World Cup of Tennis“, and the winners are referred to as the World Champion team.
CC suspends West Indies spinner Sunil Narine for illegal bowling action
West Indies off spinner Sunil Narine was suspended from international cricket by the International Cricket Council (ICC).
- ICC take the decision after his action was found ‘illegal’ in the 3rd ODI match of West Indies against Sri Lanka in Pallekele on Nov 17, 2015.Narine exceeded the 15 degrees level of tolerance permitted under the regulations.
- In accordance with Article 6.1 of the regulations, Narine’s international suspension will also be recognised and enforced by all national cricket federations within domestic cricket events played in their own jurisdiction.