Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs February 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
In a bid to benefit urban poor under the PM’s Awas Yojana (Urban), Ministry of Housing & Urban Poverty Alleviation accredited construction of 81,757 houses for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) in urban areas in 7 states.
- Project Outlay – Rs. 4, 076 cr
In a bid to match pace with latest technological innovations, Indian Railway Project Management Unit (IRPMU), an arm of North Central Railway in association with theConstruction and Open Line Units of the Railway, initiated a computer-based signalling system at Khurja junction, a city famous for pottery in Uttar Pradesh.
- After remodeling and re-signalling, yard will have 256 possible movements leading to immense flexibility.
Solid waste management is a project under the Swachh Bharat mission. It has been found that the Indian cities generate about 170 million tonnes of solid waste every year.
- The government has allocated 37000 crores of 62,009 crores for solid waste management. Now according to sources from urban ministry, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal have used around 150 crores in this regard.
Signing of MoU between IIPE and Andhra University
Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE) and Andhra University had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to start the IIPE sessions during the academic year 2016-17.
- The MoU is signed for the 3 years.
- The MoU had been assisted by Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited.
- After the MoU IIPE will get the authorization to guide the nation in education, research and training related to all areas of Petroleum and Energy.
Odisha Government to introduce self-certifying scheme for industries to set up units
Odisha government had introduced a self-certifying scheme for non-hazardous industries to set up units.
- It aims to simplicity the process of doing business in Odisha at the initial level.
- This is a self-certifying scheme for non-hazardous industries.
- The decision for the scheme was taken by Chief Secretary AP Padhi at a high level summit.
- Capital of Odisha – Bhubaneswar
- Chief Minister of Odisha – Naveen Patnaik
Tamil Nadu announces free bus travel for senior citizens
Tamil Nadu government had announced free bus travel for senior citizens in Chennai metropolitan areas.
- To gain the benefits of the scheme person has to fill an application form and submit it to transport authorities for the tokens.
- Free bus passes will be provided to the senior citizens.
- Ten tokens are given to the person for a month.
- Capital of Tamil Nadu – Chennai
- CM of Tamil Nadu – Jayalalithaa
Union Cabinet gives nod to Election Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2016
Union Cabinet had given nod to Election laws (Amendment) Bill 2016 in the Budget session of Parliament to amend two electoral laws.
- Section 11 of the Delimitation Act, 2002 and Section 9 of the Representation of the People Act, 1950 were amended.
- As per the amendment voting rights are given to the people who became Indian citizens following the exchange of enclaves between India and Bangladesh.
The UN and the Colombian government jointly launched the new trust for peace building activities especially in the conflict areas of FARC-EP (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia-People’s Army).
- Launched in Bogota, Columbian capital
- Initial fund- 8million US dollars
South Korea to build IT park in Islamabad
South Korea had decided to build an IT park in Islamabad that will cost $50-million. This tie will help both the nation to build a strong relationship.
- The park will cover an area of about one million sq.ft
- It will help to develop both the software and hardware section.
- Capital of South Korea – Seoul
- Currency of South Korea – South Korean won
- President of South Korea – Park Geun-hye
- Prime minister of South Korea – Hwang Kyo-ahn
Indo-Myanmar Coordinated Patrol (IMCOR) and Signing of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)
Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for Indo-Myanmar Coordinated Patrol (IMCOR) had been signed between Indian Navy and Myanmar Navy.
- It had been signed at the closing Ceremony of 4th IMCOR
- It will assist horizontal ways of coordinated patrols between two friendly Nations.
- It will help both the nation in Naval Patrol.
- Capital of Myanmar – Naypyidaw
- Currency of Myanmar – Burmese kyat
- President of Myanmar – Thein Sein
BANKING AND FINANCE
Axis Bank partners with Suvidhaa to offer loans to urban poor
Axis Bank had made partnership with Suvidhaa to offer loan to urban poor.
- Aims to provide loan to the urban people who have no formal credit score to boast and no bank guarantees to offer.
- These urban poor include Rickshaw pullers, taxi drivers, tailors, barbers etc.
- CEO of Axis Bank – Shikha Sharma
- Headquarters of Axis Bank – Mumbai
- Axis Bank Founded – 1994, Ahmedabad
As a part of the Make in India initiative in defence sector, the defence ministry proposed to replace the 2,610 Russian designed Sarath BMP-II combat vehicles which were used since 1980.
- The FICV (Fighting Infantry Combat Vehicle) project is a 2 part contract. Three players will get the prototype one being the state owned OFB and other 2 private companies. There are 10 private companies participating in the bid. The defence ministry will contribute 80% of the project cost at the end.
Japan’s Terra Motors launches new e-rickshaws
Japan’s Terra Motors had launched an electric rickshaw for the Indian market.It aims to sell 30,000 units by the end of the year 2016 by enhancing its network in India.
- It costs Rs 1, 30, 00 Lakh.
- 5 million dollar had been invested by the company to expand manufacturing capacity in Gurgaon
- Terra Motors is the topmost e scooter company of Japan.
- It was launched with the name Y4Alfa e- rickshaw.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
US President Barack Obama will confer 6 Indian-Americans with the highest US government prize for young independent researchers i.e. Presidential Early Career Awards.
- They are Vikram Shyam, Milind Kulkarni, Kiran Musunuru, Shwetak Patel, Rahul Mangharam and Sachin Patel
10,000 euros World Press Photo of the Year 2015 award has been conferred upon Australian photographer Warren Richardson during the 59th annual World Press Photo Contest.
- Richardson’s picture shows refugees passing a baby through a barbed wire fence on the border of Horgos (Serbia) and Roszke (Hungary).
- The image was titled as “Hope for a New Life”.
- His picture also won first prize in the Spot News category.
Tendulkar’s autobiography enters Limca Book of Records
Sachin Tendulkar’s autobiography had been entered in Limca Book of Records.
- His autobiography “Playing It My Way” had entered the Records in the category of best-selling books across both fiction and non-fiction categories.
- 1,50,289 copies of his books were sold on order subscriptions.
- The book was published by Hachetteand was launched on 5 November 2014 Mumbai India.
- Sachin Tendulkar is also known as the God of Indian Cricket.
MRF CMD Mammen elected ATMA Chairman
MRF Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) K.M. Mammen had been elected as the Automotive Tyre Manufacturers’ Association (ATMA) Chairman.
- He is also the President of the Indo-Australian Chamber of Commerce.
- Presently he is working as an executive board member of FICCI and a member of the Board of the Madras Christian College.
- He is the eldest son of the MRF Founder, the late K. M. Mammen Mappillai.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Scientists have discovered five new exoplanets coining them hot Jupiters. Researchers from keele university in UK used WASP-South (Wide Angle Search for Planets-South) to observe southern sky and study the five stars.
- The newly discovered planets have been named as WASP 119b, WASP 114b,WASP 126 b, WASP 129 b and WASP 133 b.
Google’s Project Loon ‘crashes’ in Sri Lanka in a tea plantation
Google’s “Project Loon” had crashed down in Sri Lanka in a tea plantation.
- The balloon is the part of the Google’s high-speed internet service.
- It was crashed during its first test flight.
- Information and Communication Technology Agency (ICTA) of Sri Lanka was coordinating the tests with Google in the project.
- The launch is part of a planned joint project between the
- US internet giant and Colombo is the member of the joint project which aims to deliver high-speed internet access powered by helium-filled balloons.
NASA finds ‘super-Earth’ with an atmosphere
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) had found a super-Earth with an atmosphere for the first time.
- The team includes astrophysicists form the European Space Agency (ESA) and the University College London.
- It was spotted with the Hubble telescope’s Wide Field Camera 3 (WFC3).
- It is a big rocky planet whose surface is 8 times bigger than the Earth’s surface.
- The observation clearly show that the surface consist of Helium and Hydrogen
Haryanto becomes Indonesia’s first Formula1 Driver
Rio Haryanto becomes Indonesia’s first Formula 1 driver after signing a deal with Manor Racing going to be held in Melbourne, Australia.
- He replaces the Briton Will Stevens.
- He was accepted as a driver of Manor Racing Formula1 Team for the 2016 F1 season.
- He started he career at the Asian-based series during 2008 these are theAsian Formula Renault Challenge, Formula Asia 2.0, and Formula BMW Pacific
Former West Indies cricketer Andy Ganteaume died
The former West Indies cricketer Andy Ganteaume had died in Santa Margarita
- He was a Trinidadian cricketer who had once played Test match for the West Indies.
- The autobiography of Andy Ganteaume is My Story: The Other Side of the Coin.
- He was also a regular member of Trinidad’s football team.
- He was the oldest living Test cricketer from West Indies’.
- He had scored his first-class century in 1946.
Veteran singer Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan passes away
Veteran singer Ustad Abdul Rashid Khan had passed away in Kolkata due to old age problems.
- He was the oldest Hindustani classical vocalist.
- He was awarded with the Padma Bhushan in 2013.
- He had written nearly 2,000 poems.
- He was also awarded with the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award and Kashi Swar Ganga Award.
- Government of NCT Delhi had awarded him with life time achievement award in 2013.