The UN and the Colombian government jointly launched the new trust for peace building activities especially in the conflict areas of FARC-EP (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia-People’s Army).
Keypoints Of New Trust Fund
- Launched in Bogota, Columbian capital
- Fund to be managed by steering committee consisting of UN,Colombian Govt and other donors
- Norway, Sweden and UN peacebuilding funds were the first contributors
- Initial fund- 8million US dollars
- Project involves demining, signage and education in mine-affected areas, improvements in social and economic infrastructure, local employment generation opportunities; food security, strengthening of the police
On 25th January, UN Security council set up a monitoring committee to end up the Latin America’s longest arm conflict for more than 51 years.
- FARC-EP was started as a military wing of Colombian Communist party in 1964.
- UN spokesperson– Stephane Dujarric
- Colombian Humanitarian coordinator– Fabrizio Hochschild
- Colombian Post conflict minister– Rafael Pardo