10,000 euros World Press Photo of the Year 2015 award has been conferred upon Australian photographer Warren Richardson during the 59th annual World Press Photo Contest.
- Richardson’s picture shows refugees passing a baby through a barbed wire fence on the border of Horgos (Serbia) and Roszke (Hungary).
- The image was titled as “Hope for a New Life”.
- His picture also won first prize in the Spot News category.
Richardson is a freelance photographer who is currently based in Budapest, Hungary.
About World Press Photo of the Year:
The award has been hosted by Dutch foundation “World Press Photo”. The winner will bestow with €10,000 along with the most prestigious and coveted award in photojournalism. The jury gave prizes in 8 categories to 41 photographers from 21 countries.
The 2016 contest drew entries from 5,775 photographers of 128 countries submitted 82,951 images.
- Jury was comprised of 18 internationally recognized professionals in the fields of photojournalism and documentary photography from 16 countries, which was chaired by Francis Kohn.
- In addition to cash prize Canon presented the winning photographer with the recently launched Canon EOS-1D X Mark II camera and lens kit.
The prize-winning pictures are presented in an exhibition which is visiting around 100 cities in about 45 countries over the course of the year.