Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs February 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
Minister of Urban Development M.Venkaiah Naidu released the results of “Swachh Survekshan-2016” of 73 major cities that were surveyed for sanitation last month.
- As per results, Mysuru led the list as the cleanest city in the country while Dhanbad has been ranked at the bottom.
Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has released funds under its ambitious Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS).
- Ministry has initiated the TOPS under the National Sports Development Fund (NSDF). It aimed to identify athletes who are potential medal winners in Olympics and to provide them support for preparation for Olympics.
The government of India had sanctioned a sum of nearly Rs 4,100 crore as a disaster relief fund to seven states.
- These seven states are Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Himachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Jharkhand, Rajasthan and Tamil Nadu.
Uttar Pradesh govt amends “UP land reform act”
Uttar Pradesh had amended the Uttar Pradesh Zamindari Abolition and Land Reform Act.
- The amendment allows the Scheduled castes to sell their farms to non-dalits without taking permission from District magistrate.
- The new amendment replaces the Land Revenue Act of 1901, Zamindari Abolition and Land Reform Act 1950 and Land Revenue Act, 2015.
- Before the act dalits have to sell their land only to daltis which was creating problems for them while selling their land.
BHEL fully commissions 101 MW power plant in Tripura
Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) had commissioned a 101 MW gas-based Combined Cycle Power Plant (CCPP) in Tripura.
- This plant had been commissioned at Monarchak, 66 km from Agartala city.
- The order was placed by North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited (NEEPCO) on BHEL.
- ONGC will supply the gas for the project.
- The power requirement of Tripura is met through Gas based projects.
Multi-modal transportation was used by BHEL for ensuring safe transportation the equipment to the site.
IIT (K), ICMR join hands for joint research
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur and Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) are collaborating for joint research, exchange of faculty and students as well as tapping into international scientists and entrepreneurs under ‘Global Initiative of Academic Networks'(GIAN).
- The two institutes are collaborating to facilitate student exchange programmes for a short duration, such as summer/winter terms or short courses, or for a longer duration not exceeding two semesters.
- The two entities will also explore joint research projects under IIT Kharagpur-led IMPRINT (IMPacting Research, Innovation and Technology) initiative in healthcare.
This initiative is likely to be funded by ICMR, ministry of human resource and development (MHRD), other Indian funding agencies and external funding agencies.
IMPRINT :IMPRINT is the first of its kind MHRD supported Pan-IIT + IISc joint initiative to address the major science and engineering challenges
GIAN:Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) to facilitate short-term teaching and research programmes by up to 1,000 visiting US academics in Indian universities
- Director of IIT Kharagpur: PP Chakrabarti.
Govt to increase number of e-Seva centres in villages to 250,000
Communication and Information Technology Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad announced to increase number of common service centres in the country to cover 250,000 gram panchayats soon.Currently, there are 150,000 such centres in the country.
It will enable “village-level entrepreneur to talk to national-level experts” for guidance, apart from being an e-services distribution point.
- We have tied up with NIC and a bank and once they go through it will rise monumentally. We are the first in the country to offer these services.
- The government had used their e-procurement system for 1.18 million tenders worth over 17.2 lakh crore until January 2016.
What is e–seva?
E–Seva centres seek to provide fast and prompt access to government services and it brings these services to a location that is close to your home
India, Seychelles joint military exercise began
Indian Army and Seychelles People’s Defence Forces (SPDF) had joint the 7th joint military exercise in Victoria.
- The aim of the joint work is to enhance military cooperation and interoperability between these two countries.
- EX LAMITYE 2016 is conducted from 15 February to 28 February 2016 at Seychelles Defence Academy (SDA) Victoria Seychelles.
- Exercise Lamitye is the joint exercise of these two countries which means friendship in Creole.
BANKING & FINANCE
BML Munjal University signs a MoU with Axis Bank
BML Munjal University had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Axis Bank.
- The pact was signed to promote cooperation and advance academic and business exchanges.
- It aims to aware the students about Banking Sector of the country and to educate them about the product and services offered by the Bank.
- Axis Bank will also help in placement process of the university by giving chance to work under the banking sector.
Apple to set up first technology centre in India
Apple will be going to set up its first technology development centre in Hyderabad India. Hyderabad is considered as the hub of technology.
- The center will be set up with an amount of $25 million (Rs 150 crore) in 250000 square feet.
- The Apple center will provide new job opportunities to the youth and help in Indian Economy.
- Sale of Apple’s product in India had crossed nearly $ 1billion.
Kstart announces partnership with Google
Kstart had announced to have technology partnership with Google for its seed-stage portfolio companies.
- Access to Google’s mentorship, global network and products is provided to Kstart portfolio companies after the partnership.
- Kstart portfolio companies will also join the Google Launchpad program.
- India begin a great start-up location will help both the Kstart and Google to explore their business.
- By providing world class infrastructure, access to funds, legal and marketing help, Kstart will help in hosting the protected companies.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
The 69th British Academy Film Awards were held on 14 February 2016 at the Royal Opera House in London to honour the best British and international contributions to film in 2015.
- The Revenant made 5 wins while Mad Max: Fury Road had clinched 4 awards.
- BAFTA Awards were established in 1947.
- President – HRH The Duke of Cambridge
“Nagaland is changing. But…” a documentary movie has clinched the Golden Beaver Awardat 6th National Science Film Festival in Mumbai.
- The award was presented to director Gurmeet Sapal by noted filmmaker MS Sathyu.
- It was awarded the Best Film in the films made by institutions category along with cash prize of Rs. 1 lakh.
- The film was also conferred with technical excellence award for best sound design with cash prize of Rs 20,000.
President Pranab Mukherjee conferred the Infosys Prizes in New Delhi for the year 2015.The prize was felicitated to six winners for their outstanding contribution in the research fields.
- These six winners are Umesh Waghmare, Jonardon Ganeri, Amit Sharma, Mahan Maharaj, G. Ravindra Kumar and Srinath Raghavan.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
‘Nidar’ India’s Lightest Revolver weighing 250gm
Ishapore Rifle factory in west Bengal had designed India’s lightest revolver’ Nidar’ weighing 250gm.
- The revolver was launched by the short arm manufacturer.
- Nidar is .22 calibre with weighing 250gm.
- It is capable of firing eight rounds loaded in a revolving chamber.
- It can fire up to seven meters and as 40.3mm barrel length with accuracy.
- It can be easily carried out in small purse, handbag, pockets of trousers and jackets.
US to launch 132-foot unmanned ocean drone
US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is going to launch a smooth 132-foot unmanned ocean drone from Portland on 17 April.
- This is a 140-tonne Anti-Submarine and it is entirely independent- fully operational without an involved crew.
- It is named Anti-Submarine Warfare Continuous Trail Unmanned Vessel (ACTUV).
- It will help US to track down secret submarines in the
- Director of DARPA – Arati Prabhakar
RailYatri.in launches medical emergency app
RailYatri.in had launched a medical emergency app. It will enable train travelers to check for vital information regarding medical facilities in the surrounding area of their location.
- It aims to overcome the medical emergencies arise during the journey.
- The app will check the location of the user and provides list of healthcare facilities at the upcoming stations.
- The app will provide direction from station, contact numbers of hospitals and ambulance services to the passengers.
Sania Mirza the Indian tennis star and Martina Hingis from Swiss won the St. Petersburg Ladies Trophy in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- he top-seeded Indo-Swiss pair conquered the Russian-Czech team by 6-3 6-1 Vera Dushevina and Barbora Krejcikova in the women’s doubles final.
- The victory in the final was ensuing 40 match win.
West Indies wins ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup 2016
West Indies had won the ICC Under-19 World Cup 2016 in Mirpur against India.
- The Man of the Match were Keacy Carty hits 52 not out off 125 ball and Keemo Paul hits 40 not out off 68 balls.
- The West Indies’ most successful batsman of the tournament is Shamar Springer with 282 runs.
- Player of the tournamentwas Mehidy Hasan Miraz from Bangladesh.
India-Sri Lanka T20 Final: India wins the series 2-1
India has won the three match Twenty20 series against Sri Lanka after racing to a 9 wicket win in the third and last T20 played at Visakapatnam cricket ground.
- Ravi Ashwin was declared man of the match after his 4 wickets in 4 overs which pretty much killed the game inside first 10 overs of Sri Lanka inning. Sri Lanka lost 5 wickets for just 21 runs and bundled out for 82 runs in total.
Noted music director Rajamani passes away at 60
Popular southern composer Rajamani has passed away. He was 60
About Rajamani :
- Born into a family of Carnatic musicians, Rajamani’s first tryst with music happened when he accompanied his father B.A. Chidambaranath on a devotional album “Gangayar Pirakkunnu”. He was just 13 years old.
- His first independent venture was 1983 Tamil film “Gramathu Kiligal”, followed by “Kalloori Kanavugal” in the same year. In 1985, Rajamani made his Malayalam debut with “Nullinovikkaathe”.
- He went on to score music for successful Malayalam films like “Ekalavyan”, “Commissioner”, “The King”, “Aram Thampuran” and “Narasimham”.
- He composed music for nearly 70 films and rendered background score for over 700 films. His last film as a composer was 2012 Malayalam romantic-drama “Hide n’ Seek”.