Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs February 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
Click Here to Read Current Affairs February 13 Quiz 2016
Madhya Pradesh gets first Mega Food Park
Madhya Pradesh gets its First Mega Food Park promoted by M/s Indus mega Food Part Pvt. Ltd.It was inaugurated by Union Minister of Food Processing Industries.
- The Mega Food Park is expected to cost Rs. 127.70 crore in an area of 53.78 acres.
Dr Jitendra Singh and Shri Kiren Rijiju inaugurate the festival ‘Destination North-East-2016’
The Union Minister of State Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space – Dr. Jitendra Singh and Minister of State for Home Affairs, Shri Kiren Rijiju had inaugurated the festival Destination North-East-2016.
- It will provide platform to the inherent economic, social and cultural strength of the North East Region (NER) at the national level.
Gujarat Govt’s new IT policy aims to create 1 mn new jobs
Gujarat Government announced a new IT Policy and Incentive Scheme (2016-21), aiming to promote the sector by providing subsidies to investors and create 10 lakh new jobs.
- Under the policy, the state Government would provide capital subsidy of a total of Rs. 25 crore to investors and incentives as discounts in stamp duty on land/office transactions, registration fees, power tariff and VAT to those setting up units and the IT parks.
- It also lays emphasis on setting up R&D institutions, finishing schools and provides incentives to units as well as IT industry organizations for participation in international trade fairs.
To link incentives with employment creation for the youths, the policy provides that units availing assistance under the IT policy will be required to take interns at a rate of minimum one intern for every 20 employees.
States can clampdown mobile internet access under Section 144 of CrPC: Supreme Court
States can clampdown mobile internet access under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) as ruled by the Supreme Court.
- According to the rule if there is anxiety and people can turn aggressive and disturb public tranquillity than that particular state can get tough on the mobile internet access.
- Blocking the internet facilities during the serious situations will help the government and local people and avoid the rumours.
It will help to maintain law and order in the state during the violent situations
Vizag to be first major port to run on solar energy
Vizag port in Hyderabad will be the first major port to run on solar energy.
- VPT is currently having 2MW solar power plants which were built with an investment of Rs. 60 crore.
- It aims to generate 8 MW capacity solar plants.
- These projects will help to overcome the burden of energy over the state.
- Chairman of Vizag Port Trust (VPT) – MT Krishna Babu
Manipal University signs MoU for academic cooperation with University of Chicago
Manipal University had signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for academic cooperation with University of Chicago USA in Manipal.
- University of Chicago is the top ten global Universities in the 2016 Times Higher Education World University rankings.
- It is a leading medical school in the USA.
- It includes mutual exchange of undergraduate and graduate medical students for clinical observer-ships.
- It will provide faculty to exchange for educational purposes.
- Vice Chancellor of Manipal University– H Vinod Bhat
Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi visit to India – An Overview
Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed ForcesSheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan was in India on a three-day visit to focus on new areas of cooperation like security, counter-terrorism, nuclear, space sector and energy sector.
- This is the third visit to India by Sheikh Mohamed and the first as crown prince.
- The UAE is the third largest trading partner of India after the US and China.
- It is also the sixth largest source of India’s crude oil imports.
UNISDR: India, 3rd most disaster affected nation in 2015
In accordance with the report by the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR), India has been ranked as the third lead in the list of most disaster hit countries of 2015. Last year, India was suffered with 19 disasters.
- 2015 was the hottest year on record.
- In 2015, India wretched more than 2,800 deaths and over Rs 22,000 crore economic damage.
- India has followed China and US which have been hit by 26 and 22 disasters respectively.
India summons US Ambassador over Washington nod for sale of eight F-16 fighters to Pak
Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar summoned US Ambassador Richard Verma to expressed disappointment over US administration’s decision to sell eight F-16 fighter jets to Pakistan because that such arms’ transfers will help combat terrorism.
About the deal :
- Eight F-16 fighter jets built by Lockheed Martin Corp, radar and other equipment in a deal valued at $699 million.
Key points :
- Pakistan Capital : Islamabad
- Pakistan Currency: Pakistani Rupee
- Pakistan PM: Nawaz Sharif
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI changes g-sec tenures under OMO to rein in yield
With an aim to maintain liquidity and also keep rising yields in the market under check, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is changing the profile of the government securities (Gsecs), it is buying from bond investors under its open market operations (OMOs).
- A bond issued by a government authority, with a promise of repayment upon maturity that is backed by government
- An open market operation refers to a monetary policy tool in which central banks buy and sell bonds to regulate the money supply in the economy.
Vedanta Group’s Anil Agarwal to set up India’s first LCD panel plant
Vedanta Group’s owner Anil Agarwal had set up the country’s first LCD panel manufacturing plant in Maharashtra.The project aims to boost domestic manufacturing of electronics and reduce import bill in the country
- He will manufacture the plant with an investment of $10 billion (Rs 68,000 crore).
- It was inked under the Make in India week
Government to introduce Business Identification Number for companies
To improve ease of doing business, the government is all set to introduce Business Identification Number (BIN) for companies.
- The BIN would act as an identification number for different regulatory purposes and do away with the need for procuring separate registration numbers.
- Normally, a company is required to obtain 18 different registration numbers.
As per the proposal, the permanent account number (PAN) may become the BIN for companies.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Lionel Messi wins the La Liga player of the month award
Lionel Messi has been named La Liga player of the month for January. For the first time he has won the award. Messi scored six times that month, nine times in March 2014 (including consecutive hat-tricks), five in October 2014, nine the following month, seven in February 2015 and four times last December.
- The Barcelona forward was honoured at the 23rd time of asking after scoring six goals in as many league games in January.
- The award has been given out since the beginning of the 2013-14 Primera División season but the five-times Ballon d’Or winner had not won it until now.
Cristiano Ronaldo has won the award twice since it began in September 2013, as have the Atlético pair Diego Godín and Antoine Griezmann and the Real Sociedad striker Carlos Vela.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Nagendra Kumar Saxena concurrently accredited as the next High Commissioner of India to Solomon lslands
GOI has designated Nagendra Kumar Saxena as the next High Commissioner of lndia to Solomon lslands with residence in Port Moresby.
- Presently, he is serving as the High Commissioner of lndia to the independent State of Papua New Guinea
Keys Solomon lslands:
- Capital – Honiara
- Currency – Solomon Islands dollar
Facebook India head Kirthiga Reddy steps down
Facebook India Managing Director Kirthiga Reddy had stepped down from her current role and will relocate the headquarters to US.
- Facebook is one of the biggest and active social networking site in the world.
- Facebook had promoted Free Basics programme over the country
- It will violate the principle of net neutrality.
- It will explore new opportunities to the people.
- Founder of Facebook- Mark Zuckerberg
Vilas Tonapi appointed as Director of IIMR
Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR) has designated Vilas A. Tonapi as its director.
- At present, Tonapi is serving as the Principal Scientist at Seed Science and Technology of the IIMR.
About Vilas Tonapi:
- He holds a PhD from Tamil Nadu Agriculture University and obtained his post-Doctoral from University of Queensland, Australia.
- He has 50 research papers to his credit in peer reviewed journals, 30 authored and edited books.
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Amazon acquires Italy-based software firm NICE
Amazon Web Services had acquired Italy based software firm NICE for technical computing.
- The NICE is a cloud computing firm.
- The total financial term had not disclosed yet.
- Italy-based NICE has customers from aerospace to industrial, energy and utilities.
- It is expected that the deal will going to close in the first quarter of 2016
- Headquarters of Amazon – Seattle, Washington, U.S
- Founder of Amazon – Jeff Bezos
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
YouTube launches its first original movies and series
YouTube had launched its first original movies and series for YouTube Red subscriber.
- It aims to contend with the other networking sites like Amazon and Netflix.
- The first videos are now live now.
- They have been developed in combination with some of the company’s best stars like Lilly Singh, Rooster Teeth, Pew Die Pie and Awesomeness TV.
Headquarters of YouTube – Cherry Avenue, San Bruno, California, United States
ISRO to launch Cryogenic mk-III based GSLV vehicle in Dec
Indian Space Research Organasion (ISRO) had launched the Cryogenic mark-III based GSLV satellite launch vehicle in December.
- This is the 10th High Energy Materials Conference and Exhibition in Hyderabad.
- The high-thrust cryogenic engine (CE20) was successfully test fired at the ISRO Propulsion Complex (IPRC), Mahendragiri.
- It will help at the time of emergency when undertake tests to bring back humans safe to earth.
- Senior ISRO official and VSSC Director – Dr K Sivan
BCCI bans Pakistani umpire Asad Rauf for 5 years
Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had banned Pakistani umpire Asad Rauf was for five years.
- The committee found him guilty of corrupt practices.
- He was the part of the ICC’s elite panel and officiated in Test matches.
- The committee was headed by BCCI president Shashank Manohar, Jyotiraditya Scindia and Niranjan Shah.
- He had been withdrawn by Pakistan from the ICC’s elite panel.
Indian Ambassador to Tajikistan Biraja Prasad passes away
India’s Ambassador to Tajikistan Biraja Prasad passed away.
- Biraja Prasad, a 1998 batch Indian Foreign Service officer of Odisha, was the youngest IFS officer to be appointed as India’s Ambassador to any country.
He had also worked as Deputy Chief of Mission in Embassy of India at Madrid. In the ministry, Prasad handled works related to India’s bilateral relations with Russian Federation, France, Germany and Spain.
The nation celebrates the first edition of World Radio Day in 2012. It was originally proposed by Spain. It was celebrated this year to remember the contribution of radio in our life.
- World Radio Day is an observance day held annually on 13 February.
- Theme of the 2016 world radio day is “Radio in Times of Emergency and Disaster”.