Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Change of accounting standards – From GAAP to Ind-AS
- PM Modi in Andhra Pradesh for inaugurations
- UD Ministry Clears First Batch of AMRUT Projects in Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Rajasthan
- India 2nd Most Optimistic In Biz Optimism Globally – International Business Report
- Mortality Rate Among Indian Girls Below Age of Five Higher Than The Boys: UN Report
Union Ministry inaugurated IPF and IPI in New Delhi
On the sidelines of PM Modi’s vision “SMART and competent police”, Union Home Minister Shri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the Indian Police Foundation (IPF) and Indian Police Institute (IPI) in New Delhi.
- The Police Foundation and Institute has been set up and registered as an All India Society under the Societies Registration Act of 1860.
Aim: To commence a culture of research and evidence-based policing in India and to avoid subjectivity, personal bias and errors in decision-making.
About Indian Police Foundation
It is a think tank for transforming reforms in the Indian Police. It will consist of professionals and thought leaders from different disciplines who bring along their rich experience, diverse perspectives and insights.
About Indian Police Institute
A research and training institute for police officers for the pursuit of professional excellence and evidence-based policing. It will carry out research by jointly involving police officers and academic researchers for better understanding of the issues and challenges that the police face in their daily work.
Rajasthan to transform government school syllabus from 2016
Rajasthan Govt has decided to introduce a new syllabus from class I to XII in government schools from next academic session with a greater focus on lives of country’s “Mahapurush” (great leaders) and history of the state.
(Rajasthan CM – Vasundhara Raje)
(Rajasthan MOS for Education – Vasudev Devnanai)
- A high-level State Institute of Educational Research and Training (SIERT) is reforming the syllabus for class I to VIII while for class IX to XII, committee has been set up by Rajasthan Board of Secondary Education (RBSE).
- Syllabus for class I to V there should be 75% chapters from Rajasthan and 25% chapters of national importance.
Cabinet approved MLAT in Criminal Matters between India and Maldives
Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has given its approval for signing of a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) in Criminal Matters between India and the Maldives.
Aim – It is to enhance effectiveness of both countries in investigation and prosecution of crime through cooperation and mutual legal assistance in criminal matters.
- It also put emphasis on tracing, restraint and confiscation of proceeds, and instruments of crime as well as funds meant to finance terrorist acts.
What is MLAT?
An MLAT is an agreement between two or more countries for the purpose of gathering and exchanging information in an effort to enforce public laws or criminal laws.
Pakistan set to become fifth largest n-power by 2025: report
According to the latest US Nuclear Notebook report Pakistan may emerge as the 5th largest nuclear power with an estimation of country’s stockpile to increase to 250 warheads in a decade.
Report was authored by nuclear expert Hans Kristensen and Robert Norris.
- Pakistan has a nuclear weapons stockpile of 110 to 130 warheads, an increase from an estimated 90 to 110 warheads in 2011.
- Pakistan is developing a nuclear weapon for deployment on submarines.
- Pakistan is also developing short-range nuclear capable missiles for the purpose of dominating any invasion by Indian troops which could be used also to dominate any low-intensity conflict with India
- Pakistan appears to have six types of currently operational nuclear-capable ballistic missiles.
- Pakistan is also developing two new cruise missiles, the ground-launched Babur (Hatf—7) and the air-launched Ra’ad (Hatf—8).
Britain and China inked nuclear deal
During the Chinese President Xi Jinping visit to London, Britain signed a landmark nuclear deal with China to build the UK’s first atomic power plant since the 1980s.
Agreement was announced by Britain PM Prime Minister David Cameron between EDF and China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGN) to build a nuclear power plant at Hinkley Point, Somerse.
- China’s General Nuclear Corporation (CGN) will take a one-third stake in the planned 18 billion-pound ($28 billion) Hinkley Point nuclear plant controlled by France’s EDF. CGN to pay 6 billion pounds.
India-France Rafale fighter deal
India-France clinched Rs 30,000 crore offset deal on 36 Rafale fighter aircraft. Both nations have firmed up an understanding on the offsets segment under which the French have agreed to invest 50% of the deal’s worth.
- French aircraft manufacturer Dassault had reached out to Indian companies in the defence and security industry for possible Make in India partnerships.
- This will make it one of India’s biggest-ever offsets deals.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
Thekkady named world’s top emerging destination by PATA
Kerala’s Thekkady has been named as the “world’s top emerging destination” in the inaugural Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) CEO Challenge 2015 in Bangkok.
- Thekkady has been conferred with Top Destination Award in the category of Second and Third Tier Cities.
- Whereas the province of Albay, Philippines has been awarded the Top Destination Award in the category of Regions/States/Provinces.
The two winning entries will work with PATA CEO Challenge 2015 partner TripAdvisor to develop and create digital marketing campaigns to showcase their destination to a global audience, valued at US$500,000 each.
- It is located in Idukki district on the banks of the Periyar Lake.
- Thekkady is a leading wildlife destination in the country and is home to tiger, sambar deer, lion-tailed macaque and Nilgiri langurs.
- The Periyar sanctuary famous for its dense evergreen tropical forests and savannah grasslands.
South Korean Seong-Jin Cho wins Chopin piano competition
South Korea’s Seong-Jin Cho (21) has won the prestigious 17th international Frederic Chopin piano competition in the Polish capital, Warsaw. He was followed by Charles Richard-Hamelin of Canada and the third prize winner was Kate Liu of the United States.
- The first prize includes concerts in some of the world’s best-known halls, contracts for recordings and a 30,000-euro award with a gold medal.
- Cho also won a euros 3,000 award for the best polonaise performance.
- Chopin piano competition was initiated in 1927 and has been held every five years since 1955.
Flipkart hires Samardeep Subandh as CFO
E-commerce firm Flipkart has designated Samardeep Subandh as its chief marketing officer where he will be responsible for gaining deeper customer insights, raising the level of customer centricity and driving high level of creativity and quality in all communication.
- He will also be leading the social media communication charter for the company
- He will report to Mukesh Bansal, Head of Flipkart.
Mr. Samar has 17 years of experience in the consumer goods industry. He spent 15 years with Hindustan Unilever across various marketing, sales and business assignments. Subandh was working as a chief sales officer at Marico Ltd. before joining Flipkart.
LinkedIn’s India MD Nishant Rao to become Freshdesk’s COO
Cloud based customer support software firm Freshdesk has appointed LinkedIn India’s Managing Director Nishant Rao, as its Chief Operating Officer. He will take up his position in November 2015.
- He will be responsible for all non-research and development (R&D) aspects of Freshdesk’s activities across each of its offices worldwide.
- Mr. Rao is currently the Chairman of the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and serves on the Advisory Board for the National Committee on Skill Development, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
The company was founded by Girish Mathrubootham and Shanmugam Krishnaswamy in 2010. It is headquartered in San Francisco, with the development center in Chennai.
Lahiri wins Asian Tour Golfer of the month award
Professional golfer Anirban Lahiri (28) has won the Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of the Month award. He is ranked 39th in the world.
- Lahiri was voted as the winner based on his stellar performance from June to September with subsequent awards based on monthly achievements.
- Lahiri won the award ahead of Thai duo Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Prayad Marksaeng. The three players were nominated by a selection panel before going into a voting process.
The Asian Tour Hilton Golfer of the Month award aims to recognise outstanding efforts of Asian Tour members both at home and abroad.
Saina slips to World No.2 in BWF ranking
In the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) ranking Saina Nehwal dropped to 2nd spot in women’s singles with 81782 points, 1630 points behind Carolina Marin of Spain. While Two-time World Championship bronze medallist PV Sindhu is consistent with 13th rank.
- Men’s singles also shows the drop down in the rankings chart. Kidambi Srikanth ranked at 6th position and Parupalli Kashyap ranked at 10th position from No.8 but Ajay Jayaram climbed a place to be ranked World No.25.
- In men’s doubles, Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy rose to No.19.
- Women’s doubles Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa slipped No.13.
Car-Free Day to be observed across Delhi on September 22 Next Year
Delhi Transport Minister Gopal Rai announced that city government will organise “Car-Free Day” across the national capital on September 22 next year, a day observed as the “World Car-Free Day”.
Aim – To encourage the city residents to use public transport and reduce pollution and traffic congestion
Participants – CM Arvind Kejriwal, Manish Sisodia, cabinet ministers, MLAs and other government officers.
- Delhi government will observe “Car-Free Day” on separate road stretches on the 22nd of every month.
- The Car-Free Day was organised on road stretch between the historic Red Fort and India Gate from 7 am to 12 noon.
- The minister also appealed to people to use public transport once a month to reach their work place.
- The Delhi government will organise the next Car-Free Day in Dwarka area on November 22, which will go on for the entire day.