Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
1st National Tribal Carnival to be held in Delhi
Union Tribal Affairs Minister Shri Jual Oram has announced about the First National Tribal Carnival that will be held from February 12 to 17, 2016 in New Delhi.
- Event will be inaugurated by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi
AIM OF CARNIVAL – To promote various aspects of tribal culture at a wider path
PARTICIPANTS – Three thousand tribal across the country
This 6 days event will showcase documented traditional socio-culture aspects, collection of artifacts, cultural performances, demonstration of skills like sports, paintings, traditional healing practices and it will a will be a mix of live musical and dance performances.
India stood at last in global pension index
As per the 7th Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index (MMGPI) report 2015 Indian retirement system has been ranked last in the global pension index while Denmark has been rated with the best retirement system
- India’s index value fell from 43.5 in 2014 to 40.3 in 2015 because of material reduction in household savings rate.
Australia, Germany, Japan, Singapore and the UK have increased their pension age to offset the increase in life expectancies.
- Result is prepared by using 40 indicators, under the sub-indexes of adequacy, sustainability and integrity.
- Report covers almost 60% of the global population and also provides suggestion for improvement.
- It is published by the Australian Centre for Financial Studies (ACFS) in conjunction with Mercer and is funded by the Victorian State Government.
SUGGESTED MEASURES TO IMPROVE INDIA’s RETIREMENT SYSTEM
- Introducing a minimum level of support for the poorest aged individuals
- Increasing coverage of pension arrangements for the unorganised working class
- Introducing minimum access age so that it is clear that benefits are preserved for retirement purposes
- Improving the regulatory requirements for the private pension system
Validity of Environment Clearance (EC) extended to 7 years
Validity of environment clearance (EC) has been extended by the Government from 5 years to 7 years
PROCEDURE FOR EXTENSION
- Application should be filed with the regulatory authority during validity period.
- If the application filed within one month after the validity of EC then cases will be referred to concerned EAC or SEAC*.
- If the application has been filed more than one month after the validity period of EC but less than 3 months then based on the recommendations of the EAC or SEAC the delay should be condoned with the approval of the Minister in charge of Environment, Forest and Climate Change or Chairman.
* Environmental Assessment Center & State Expert Appraisal Committee
The EC is granted after carefully assessing the environment impact of a project and taking into account the environment management plan.
HRIDAY scheme launched in warangal
On 18th October 2015 the HRIDAY scheme was launched in Warangal by the Union Urban Development Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu. The scheme envisages preservation of the historical structures in the city. Central government sanctioned Rs. 40 crore for the development works in the district.
IRCTC launches pilot project on ‘e-catering’ service
A pilot project of a station based e-catering service helping the passengers to order meals of their choice was launched by IRCTC.This is only for stations and not on moving trains.
The service will allow passengers to either order meals online or by calling toll free no or by sending SMS with details of PNR and seat number and the meals will be delivered at their berth.In the first phase of the project 45 stations are included in the list.
Mumbai metro users can recharge their smartcards on Paytm
M-commerce Paytm has tied up with the Mumbai metro to offer online ticketing and recharges on the “Paytm platform” which will be very useful for customers as it will their frequent need of recharging a Metro Card.
- Facility is available across the Paytm app, website and mobile site.
Govt allows blood transfer between blood banks
Health ministry has allowed the transfer of blood from one blood bank to another for the better utilize blood and blood components to save lives.
(Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare – Jagat Prakash Nadda)
The move has been taken on the recommendations of the National Blood Transfusion Council.
- There will be no exchange of cash as exchange value is fixed at Rs 1600 per litre of plasma and the blood banks with surplus plasma can exchange it for consumables, equipments etc. or plasma derived products, as per their need.
- Fixing of exchange value will increase the availability of essential lifesaving medicines and will reduce the country’s dependence on import of these products.
- Asia Partnership Meeting on Disaster Risk Reduction
- International Religious Freedom Report 2014 – Overview
Three days BRICS University President Forum 2015 was held at Chinese capital Beijing which was aimed to build an exchange platform among academia, political sphere and business community, leading to in-depth research on major challenges confronted by the BRICS countries.
Organisers – Beijing Normal University and Beijing Municipal Commission of Education
Representatives from Indian Universities includes – Jawaharlal Nehru University, Banaras Hindu University, Vishwa Bharti University, University of Educational Planning and Administration, Delhi University and Indian Institute of Technology Delhi are participating in the Forum.
FIFA suspended Kuwait Football Association
Kuwait Football Association (KFA) has been suspended by the FIFA because of government interference in the running of its Football Association. In 2007 and 2008 also, KFA was banned for government interference.
- The suspension will be lifted only when the KFA and its members (the clubs) are able to carry out their activities and obligations independently.
- As per article 14 Para 3 of the FIFA Statutes no team from Kuwait including club can have any international sporting contact and neither the KFA nor any of its members or officials can benefit from any development programme, course or training from FIFA or the AFC.
BANKING AND FINANCE
(BOB tagline – India’s International Bank)
- Using the Chillr app, Bank of Baroda customers who are registered for Bank’s Mobile banking facility can transfer money instantly to their phone book contacts without the need for account details of the recipient, the bank said in a release.
- Chillr, a first-of-its kind application, is directly linked to the customer’s bank account. Customer can send or receive money to or from any person in India.
GoAir ponders IPO by the end of this fiscal
After IndiGo now Wadia Group backed GoAir is planning an initial public offer (IPO) by the end of March 31, 2016 which would help its proposed international operations.
(Company slogan – Fly Smart)
As per existing rules for an IPO the aviation company requires domestic carriers to be in operation for atleast 5 years and have a fleet of a minimum of 20 aircraft to be eligible to fly on international routes.These rules are under review as a part of new civil aviation policy.
- IndiGo’s Rs 3,268-crore IPO opens on October 27 and closes on October 29
- GoAir was founded in the year 2005 by Jehangir Wadia who is its current MD and operates 22 destinations in India, with over 140 daily flights
- In 2008 GoAir bagged Best Domestic Airline for Excellence in Quality and Efficient Service by Pacific Area Travel Writers Association
- Nation’s 5th largest airline also a recipient of Best Performing Airline by Airbus in 2011
HCL acquires Concept to Silicon Systems
HCL Technologies Ltd acquired a Bengaluru-based engineering services firm Concept to Silicon Systems (C2SiS) to extend its leadership position in the semiconductor industry by using the technical skill of C2Sis
- C2SiS is providing complete solutions for complex SoC, system-on-chip and System designs and its client list includes Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies
Narendra Modi inaugurated IDFC Bank
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has inaugurated the IDFC Bank branch in New Delhi. The event was also attended by Union Minister for Finance Shri Arun Jaitley and Union Minister of State for Finance Shri Jayant Sinha.
- IDFC Bank MD & CEO – Rajiv Lall
- IDFC headquarter – Mumbai
- Founded – October 2015
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
Actress Urvashi Rautela crowned Miss Diva 2015
Model-actress Urvashi Rautela (21) from Uttarakhand has been crowned with Yamaha Fascino Miss Diva 2015. Now she will represent India at the Miss Universe 2015 pageant.
- Natasha Assadi from Bangalore was crowned 1st runner up while Naveli Deshmukh from Aurangabad was declared 2nd runners-up.
Jury – Actress Kangana Ranaut, Irrfan Khan, Lara Dutta, Vikas Bahl and designer duo Shantanu and Nikhil formed the jury for the pageant.
Show Host – Cyrus Sahukar
Urvashi was crowned the winner of the Miss Universe India title in 2012 but was replaced because she didn’t meet the age requirement.
Gurjit Singh appointed as the next Ambassador to Germany
Shri Gurjit Singh presently Ambassador of lndia to Indonesia, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of lndia to the Federal Republic of Germany. He is expected to take up his assignment shortly.
Onsari Gharti Magar elected first woman Speaker
Newly established constitution of Nepal has elected Parliament unanimously elected UCPN-Maoist lawmaker Onsari Gharti Magar (37) as the Speaker of the House.
- She was elected unopposed as the fifth Speaker of Parliament.
- She is the first female and the youngest person to become Parliament Speaker.
- Magar had served as vice-chairperson of second Constituent Assembly.
- She was also the Minister for Youth and Sports in a government led by Jhala Nath Khanal of CPN-UML.
MCFL appoints Arun Duggal as new Chairman
Fertiliser firm MCFL appointed Arun Duggal as its Chairman. He will succeed Vijay Mallya resigned the company last year.
The company also said that N Suresh Krishnan will be the new Managing Director effective January 1.
Its board of directors approved “Arun Duggal, Independent Director as Chairman of the board of Directors during his tenure as Director,” the filing added.
Duggal is also the Non-Executive Chairman and an Independent Director of ICRA. He is also on the board ITC, Jubilant Energy, Netherlands (Chairman Audit Committee) and Dish TV.
China’s Xuerui Li win over India’s PV Sindhu in Denmark Open Title
In Women’s Singles Li Xuerui of China (also winner of 2014) has prevailed over Indian Shuttler P V Sindhu by 19-21, 12-21 Denmark Open Title of Badminton 2015 venued at Odense Sports Park, Denmark
Li Xuerui was conferred with prize of USD 650,000
- Men singles was won by China’s Chen Long for the third time( earlier in 2013 & 2014) by defeating Indonesian Tommy Sugiarto
ABOUT DENMARK OPEN TITLE
Denmark open tournament started in 1935
It was earlier known as Danish Open and organised annually by Danmarks Badminton Forbun
Great Britain wins 2015 Sultan of Johor Cup of Hockey
Great Britain wins a victory over India during 5th Sultan of Johor Cup (SOJ Cup) by 3-4 which was venued at Taman Daya Hockey Stadium, Johor Bahru, Malaysia. It was Great Britain’s first title under this championship.
- India has won this title 2 times in 2013 and 2014
Participated Teams – Argentina, Australia, Great Britain, India, Malaysia, Pakistan
About Sultan of Johar Cup
Sultan of Johor Cup tournament was started in 2011 by the State Government of Johor after the name of Sultan of Johor. It is under-21 field hockey tournament is played annually in Malaysia
Malaysia Capital – Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia Currency – Malaysian ringgit
National Cadet Corps National Games 2015 concluded
11-day event National Cadet Corps National Games 2015 was concluded in Garrison Parade Ground, New Delhi. Raksha Mantri Overall Champions trophy went to Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Chandigarh NCC Directorates.
PARTICIPANTS – 2000 cadets from 17 states and UTs directorates.
EVENTS – Football, Hockey, Athletics, Kabbadi, Kho-Kho, Volleyball and Shooting
- NCC National Games holds its origin in 1997 as a part of NCC Golden Jubilee Celebrations. Since 2013
- The games aim at identifying the sportsperson in the cadets and provide them with a feel of a major sporting event and prepare them with essential match temperament and further their sporting careers.
Saketh Myneni bagged 2015 Vietnam Open Tennis Trophy
Vietnam Open Tennis Trophy is clinched by Indian tennis player Saketh Myneni by defeating Australia’s Jordan Thompson by 7-5, 6-3 score.
- This is his first singles ATP Challenger title of the 2015 season and the second overall singles Challenger title as he was the recipient of Indore Open.
- This win help him to enter into top-150 during the new rankings from his current 168th rank.
Smita Patil: A Brief Incandescence by Maithili Rao launched
Film critic Maithili Rao has launched her new book “Smita Patil – A Brief Incandescence” on the 60th birth anniversary of Late Bollywood actress Smita Patil
- Amitabh Bachchan was the chief guest at the event.
Egyptian writer Gamal al-Ghitani dies aged 70
Famous Egyptian novelist and journalist Gamal al-Ghitani has died in Cairo, aged 70 on 18th October 2015.
As a journalist he reported from the frontlines during the Arab-Israeli conflict of 1973.For his writings he awarded France’s Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in 1987
Telugu comedian Kallu Chidambaram is no more
On 19 th October 2015 Telugu comedian Kallu Chidambaram died at the age of 70.
The performance in the Telugu film Kallu made him to earn the first Nandi Award