Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
The Delhi Cabinet, headed by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has approved the Delhi Jan Lokpal Bill, 2015. The Aam Aadmi Party has 67 MLAs in the 70-member House.
- The Bill envisages the establishment of an independent authority to investigate offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 and also covers the chief minister’s office.
About Jan Lokpal Bill
Jan Lokpal Bill aka Citizen’s Ombudsman Bill, is an anti-corruption bill drafted and drawn up by civil society activists in India seeking the appointment of a Jan Lokpal, an independent body to investigate corruption cases.
Rajasthan has organised Resurgent Rajasthan Partnership Summit, in Jaipur on 19-20 November, 2015 to attract investment from private sectors in the state. As a part of this Event State has inked 295 MoUs with a commitment of about Rs 3.3 lakh crore investments and a task force would be formed to get the projects implemented in a time-bound manner.
- It will provide 2, 39,694 lakh jobs in the state.
- Rs 10,000 crore investment committed by Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister Ananth Kumar while various industries and institutions have pledged investment of about Rs 3.3 lakh crore.
Haryana minister appointed member of CABE sub-committee
On the sidelines of 63rd meeting of the CABE chaired by Union HRD Minister Smriti Irani on August 19, Haryana Education Minister Ram Bilas Sharma has been appointed as the member of Sub-Committee of Central Advisory Board of Education (CABE).
- The Committee will identify various reasons for non-enrolment of children in schools, their low attendance and also reasons contributing to school dropout.
- The Sub-Committee under the Chairmanship of Minister of State for Human Resource Development Upendra Kushwaha will submit its report to the Centre within a year.
Committee would suggest preventive measures that could be taken to stop children from dropping out of schools and develop strategies to help in re-engaging Out of School Children.
- It would also review the impact of interventions made by the government like opening of Residential schools or hostels for children and special trainings.
The UN Security Council unanimously approved the French-sponsored resolution 2249 (2015) to redouble and coordinate action to prevent further attacks by Islamic State terrorists and other extremist groups.
- The measure is the 14th terrorism-related resolution adopted by the UN’s most powerful body since 1999.
- The resolution is not drafted under Chapter 7 of the UN Charter which means it does not constitute an authorisation for military action.
Chinese Navy conducts drills in South China Sea
The Chinese navy has conducted naval drills in the South China Sea by employing major destroyers and frigates, carrier-based helicopters and new submarines.
- It is a regular annual naval drill aimed at implementing President Xi Jinping’s calls for a military that is capable of fighting and winning wars.
The exercise was based out of the Sanya training base of the People’s Liberation Army Navy, focusing on anti-submarine warfare without detailing the exact time and places for the maneuvers.
- Naval forces from three fleets conducted fierce rivalry in several different waters and have achieved projected objectives.
- Drill has vigorously improved the navy’s anti-submarine combat abilities based on informationalized systems.
India, China to form ministerial mechanism to boost security cooperation
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh and Chinese Premier Li Keqiang and Interior Minister Guo Shengkun have agreed to form a Ministerial-level mechanism headed by their Home Ministers to step up cooperation and coordination on a host of security-related issues in Beijing .
- It including cross-border terrorism, security and law enforcement, trans-border crimes, cyber crimes and drug trafficking.
- It will become operational during Guo’s visit to India next year.
- Singh is the first Indian Home Minister to visit China in a decade to address a meeting of the Indian Association of Shanghai.
- China Capital :Beijing
- China Currency : Renminbi
- China President : Xi Jinping
Russia inks deal to build Egypt’s first nuclear plant in Dabaa
Russia signed two agreements to finance and build Egypt’s first nuclear power plant in a televised ceremony attended by President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi.
Location : Dabaa on the Mediterranean coast
Nuclear Plant : Four 1,200 MW reactors.
- Russia will grant a 35-year loan to the North African country said by Sergei Kirienko, director general of Russian atomic energy agency Rosatom.
- Egypt laid the foundation for the facility during the regime of president Hosni Mubarak, ousted in January 2011, but work was halted due to disputes with local residents after the 1986 Chernobyl disaster.
- Russia : Moscow, Russian ruble, Dmitry Medvedev(PM)
- Egypt : Cairo, Egyptian pound, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi(President)
BANKING & FINANCE
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) will finance India-Bangladesh electricity network with $120 million loan as a part of inter-connection project South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC) Program. The new transmission capacity between two inter connected networks will be 1000MW.
- The project is expected to be completed by June 2018.
Dumping duty imposed on carbon black imports from China, Russia
The Finance Ministry has imposed definitive anti-dumping duty on certain carbon black imports from China and Russia.
Time period : Five years
- Russia : $ 36.17 per tonne has been imposed.
- China : $ 397.10 per tonne has been imposed on six exporters
Revenue Department move follows the recommendation of the Designated Authority in Commerce Ministry in its sunset review investigation of existing anti-dumping duty on import of ‘carbon black used in rubber applications’ from China, Russia and Thailand.
- In the case of Thailand, the Revenue Department has now revoked the existing anti-dumping duty, following the recommendation of the Authority in view of the negative injury margin.
- Philips Carbon Black Ltd and Hi-Tech Carbon known as SKI Carbon Black (India) Pvt Ltd had filed the petition seeking sunset review investigation.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
UN chief Ban Ki-moon has designated Padma Bhushan awardee Yusuf Hamied as one of the members of a high-level panel on health technology innovation.
- Chairman of pharmaceutical manufacturer Cipla Mr. Yusuf Hamied will join 16-member panel that will be co-chaired by former President of Switzerland Ruth Dreifuss and former President of Botswana Festus Mogae.
Harshavardhan Neotia named as FICCI’s president
Harshavardhan Neotia Chairman of Ambuja Neotia group has been elected as president of industry body Ficci for 2016. Neotia will take over from the current Ficci President Jyotsna Suri during the chamber’s AGM next month.
About Harshavardhan Neotia :
- Currently, he is the senior VP of the industry body.
- He was a ‘Padma Shri’ awardee and also a member of theRajasthan Chief Minister’s Advisory Council and West Bengal Chief Minister’s Core Committee on Industry.
About FICCI :
The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) is an association of business organizations in India. Established in 1927, on the advice of Mahatma Gandhi by GD Birla and Purushottam Das Thakurdas.
- It is the largest, oldest and the apex business organisation in India. It is a non-government, not-for-profit organisation.
Arun Kumar Kapoor new CEO of Dish TV
Direct-to-home (DTH) service provider Dish TV appointed Arun Kumar Kapoor as its Chief Executive Officer (CEO) with effect from November 23.
- Mr. Kapoor has also been nominated as a ‘Key Managerial Personnel’ of the company under the applicable provisions of the Companies Act, 2013 and Listing Agreement.
- Prior to joining Dish TV, Mr. Kapoor was the CEO of Raj Television handling subscription revenues of Zee and Turner channels.
- He also worked at major brands such as Pepsi, Gillette, Airtel and Hutch.
- Last month R C Venkateish resigned as the CEO of Dish TV.
Nitish Kumar sworn-in as Bihar Chief Minister
Nitish Kumar was sworn in Bihar Chief Minister for a fifth time. Tejaswi Yadav, the younger son of Mr. Lalu Prasad became Deputy Chief Minister and the elder son Tej Pratap, was given charge of three important Ministries.
- Rashtriya Janata Dal and four from the Congress were administered the oath of office.
The JD(U) members who took the oath are:
Rajiv Ranjan Singh Lallan, Bijendra Prasad Yadav, Shrawan Kumar, Jay Kumar Singh, Maheshwar Hazari, Krishnandan Prasad Verma, Santosh Nirala, Khurshid alias Firoz Ahmad, Shailesh Kumar, Kumari Manju Varma, Madan Sahni and Kapildeo Kamat.
Strides Shasun appoints S Abhaya Kumar as ED
Drug firm Strides Shasun Ltd has appointed S Abhaya Kumar as the Executive Director of the company effect from November 19, 2015.
- Kumar was the Founder and Managing Director of erstwhile Shasun Pharmaceuticals and in the last three decades played a strategic role nurturing growth of Shasun.
- Strides Arcolab changes name to Strides Shasun Ltd from Nov 18, 2015.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Tennis champion-turned Hollywood filmmaker Ashok Amritraj (59) has been awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of East London.
- He was conferred with this award for promoting talented moviemakers from across the world.
- Amritraj has produced over 100 films and created a remarkable $2 billion in worldwide revenues.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Indigenously developed UAV of army crashes near Pokhran
An indigenously-developed Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) of the Indian Army crashed near Pokhran in Jaisalmer district of Rajasthan due to a technical glitch.
- It was a second incident in 15 days as the last crash took place in the same area on November 4.
The Nishant UAV programme is as good as dead now, with the Army deciding not to purchase any more Nishant. In the past DRDO has blamed poor handling by the army for the loss. But, the army has maintained that they failed to perform and had technical problems
- A blame game is on between the DRDO and the Army over the three earlier crashes.
New generation tax-filing mobile app for CAs
The Income Tax Department is developing a mobile app for taxpayers to help them file their returns, online tax-filing company, ClearTax.in is targeting the professional CAs with the first-ever mobile tax-filing app for the Chartered Accountants (CAs). More than 10,000 CA firms have already tied-up with ClearTax.in for this.
Features of App :
- The App is integrated with a cloud-based web application.
- The app has bank level security and encryption.
- The app comes with a strong search filter to fish-out client records via name, PAN This app will also come with features like automatic selection of the correct ITR form.
- The app is available exclusively on the Google Play store for Android devices.
Co-founder of ClearTax.in : Archit Gupta
West Ham United goalkeeper Aditi Chauhan (23) has become the first Indian woman to win the Women in Football Award at the third Asian Football Awards in London.
- The awards are supported by the English Football Association (FA) and Asian Football Project to recognise the achievements of British Asians in Football.
- Chauhan beat India-born Tanvie Hans and Monica Sharma of Fulham Foundation FC and London Bari LFC captain Sabah Mahmoud to win the prestigious award.
- The ceremony was held at Wembley Stadium, London.
Jos Buttler’s fastest ton steers England to series win
Wicketkeeper Jos Buttler has smashed his own record for all of England’s quickest ODI hundreds with a record breaking century which led to 84-run win over Pakistan in a final one-day international held in Dubai.
- He struck the quickest century in England’s ODI history from just 46 balls to help his side to a 3-1 series victory against Pakistan in the UAE.
- Buttler’s innings included eight sixes – another record for an England player in ODI cricket – as England posted 355 for 5.
Buttler had already recorded the two fastest ODI centuries for England (61 balls against New Zealand and 66 against Sri Lanka) finished unbeaten on 116 from 52 balls with 18 of them having been hit for four or six.
- The wicketkeeper now holds the record for all of England’s three quickest ODI hundreds.
BOOKS & AUTHORS
Dr. Mahesh Sharma Releases 3 Books on Head of Brahma Kumaris Dadi Janaki
Dr. Mahesh Sharma, Minister of State (I/C) for Culture and Tourism released 3 Books on Rajyogini Dadi Janaki, the 100-year-old Head of the Brahma Kumaris organization to celebrate her Centenary celebrations of at a function held in Chinmaya Mission .
Name of the Books& it’s authors :
- Prem aur Shanti ka Marg authored by Dadi Janaki
- I know How to Live, I know How to Die authored by Mr. Neville Hodgkinson and
- Dadi Janaki : A Century of Service authored by Ms. Liz Hodgkinson