Tennis champion-turned Hollywood filmmaker Ashok Amritraj (59) has been awarded an honorary doctorate by the University of East London.
- He was conferred with this award for promoting talented moviemakers from across the world.
- Amritraj has produced over 100 films and created a remarkable $2 billion in worldwide revenues.
About Ashok Amritraj
Chennai born Amritraj won acclaim as a young man through his achievements on the tennis court and played in every major professional tennis tournament and represented India in international competition including Wimbledon and US Open.
- His filmography as producer includes hits such as Bringing down the House, Premonition, Machete, Blue Valentine and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.
- He has produced a talent hunt programme for newcomers in the field of direction by the name of Gateway. The programme aired on Sony PIX channel.
- He has worked with numerous Hollywood stars including Robert DeNiro, Sandra Bullock, Bruce Willis, Jennifer Aniston, and Andrew Garfield and built relationships with studio heads, politicians and royalty.
- His company Hyde Park Entertainment Group promotes collaborations among talented filmmakers and others across India, Asia and the US.
- He also served as the CEO of National Geographic Films.
Autobiography – Advantage Hollywood