Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has approved a pilot project submitted by National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI), Nagpur for undertaking scientific studies on designing greenbelts along national highways.
- The project will be implemented on a 5 km stretch on NH-7 between Jam and Hinganghat in Nagpur region.
- Estimated cost – 11.80 crore
- Around 20,000 trees of scientifically chosen species are proposed to be planted on both sides of this stretch in multiple rows.
Govt has advanced the date for implementation of the roll out ofBharat Stage (BS) stage V and VI norms for four-wheelers by 3 years.
- According to the roadmap earlier laid down by the Auto Fuel Policy 2003, BS-V norms were to implemented from April 1, 2022 and BS-VI which aim at substantial reduction in NOx/4C levels from April 1, 2024 but now it’s2019 and 2021.
The 24th Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Malta deliberated extensively on combating climate change and a number of nations pledged their financial assistance to vulnerable countries.
- India will provide $ 2.5 million for the vulnerable nations in the Commonwealth to help them introduce clean energy and reduce green-house gas emissions.
- Commonwealth and the Governments of India, Malta, Mauritius and Sri Lanka announced the new trade financing fund to help boost trade and investment flows in small countries.
According to a report released by the ministry of statistics and programmer implementation, India emitted 1,146 million tonnes of carbon dioxide in 2008 while the total emissions from the globe were 28,962 million tonnes.
- As per Govt data, India emits only 96% of the global carbon dioxide emissions.
As per UNDP Human Development Report 2007/2008, India’s share of CO2 in the total emissions in the world is very insignificant in per-capita terms. The per-capita emission of anIndian citizen is 1.2 tons of carbon dioxide whereas his counterpart in USA contributing20.6 tons.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI granted in-principle approval to NPCI to function as the central unit for Bharat Bill Payment Systems
The Reserve Bank of India has decided to grant in principle approval to the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to function as the Bharat Bill Payment Central Unit (BBPCU) in BBPS.
About Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS)
BBPS is an integrated bill payment system, will function as a tiered structure for operating the bill payment system in the country with a single brand image providing convenience of “anytime anywhere” bill payment to customers.
- The present scope of BBPS will include utility bill payments, such as, electricity, water, gas, telephone and Direct-to-Home (DTH).
- The Operating Units will function as entities facilitating collection of bills/repetitive payments.
Reserve Bank of India had issued guidelines in 2014 for setting up the Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) wherein it was indicated that NPCI will function as BBPCU and there could be multiple Bharat Bill Payment Operating Units-BBPOUs (Operating Unit) under BBPS.
Union Bank ties up with Maharashtra for OTC tax collection
Union Bank of India tied up with Maharashtra for over-the-counter (OTC) collection of taxes and receipts.
- The bank has integrated its core banking with the Maharashtra virtual treasury, GRAS (Government Receipt Accounting System), to facilitate OTC tax collection, which will provide one more mode of payment for convenience of tax payers and the state.
- It will give tax payers the convenience of payment at the branch through their account or by cash with online generation of challans and real time updation of records through GRAS.
The state will also be benefited by having a hassle-free revenue collection, daily reconciliation, real-time update of records and providing easy reach to the tax payers.
Canara Bank CSR drive
Karnataka Headquartered Canara Bank has tied up with the Navodhan Charitable Foundation in its efforts for timely detection of cancer.
- It has helped the foundation to acquire a mobile cancer detection unit fitted with the best facilities as part of its corporate social responsibility (CSR) drive.
To coincide with the launch the mobile unit, the Bank will join the Foundation to host a one-day cancer detection camp.
- VS Sivakumar, Minister of Health, will launch the camp in the presence of Elizabeth Antony, founding president of the foundation and N Sivasankaran, General Manager, Canara Bank.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGN
Hinduja Global signs on Anirban Lahiri as brand ambassador
Hinduja Global Solutions Ltd (HGS) has roped Asia’s No. 2 golfer Anirban Lahiri as its brand ambassador.
- In the last few years, HGS has been involved in various worldwide golfing events as a sponsor and participant, including the Ryder Cup in the US and CG Cup in Dubai.
Govt panel to evaluate candidates for RBI Deputy Governor’s post
The union government has appointed a panel to interview candidates for the post of Deputy Governor of the Reserve Bank of India.
- The term of Urjit Patel, the central bank’s incumbent in charge of monetary policy, expires in January. He was appointed for a three-year term by the previous United Progressive Alliance government and took charge in January 2013.
About Deputy Governors of RBI:
- The RBI has four deputy governors and typically two are from the outside, of which traditionally one is a commercial banker and the other an economist. The two others are promoted from within the central bank’s ranks.
- A central bank Deputy Governor can be appointed for a term with a maximum of five years or till the age of 62, whichever is earlier.
Currently, the other three deputy governors are H.R. Khan, R. Gandhi, both career central bankers, and S.S. Mundra.
Indian banker appointed retail head in the UAE
Som Subroto (55), an Indian banker has been appointed head of Dubai-based Mashreq’s retail banking group, third-biggest bank by assets.
- He will succeed Farhad Irani, who is leaving after almost five years.
- He is alumnus of IIT Delhi and IIM Ahmedabad.
Mr. Som has three decades of retail banking experience with organisations like Citi Bank and Standard Chartered where he has held several senior business, risk and operations assignments.
- Mashreq CEO – Abdul Aziz Al Ghurair
- Mashreq Headquarters – Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Geelani elected life-time chief of Hurriyat
Syed Ali Shah Geelani was elected as life-time chairman of the Hurriyat faction. The group has also enforced vital changes in its organisational structure and set up special committees to rework its reach in Kashmir, Chenab Valley and Pir Panjal regions.
Other Appointments :
- Two senior leaders Shabir Ahmad Shah and Nayeem Ahmad Khan who left the Hurriyat led by Mirwaiz Umar Farooq have been given key positions in the party. Shah has been made secretary general.
- Hassan was appointed as the provincial president for Ladakh region while as Khan was appointed as president for Jammu region.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
PWD Swachch Delhi app for keeping capital roads clean
Public Works Department (PWD) of the AAP government has launched “PWD Swachch Delhi” app for keeping its 1260 km of roads, street lights, schools, hospitals and housing societies “well-maintained”.
- The new mobile application can be downloaded from Google Play Store and will enable people to register their complaints with pictures of potholes on roads, dysfunction of street lights, parts of buildings in poor conditions.
- PWD has also responsibility of maintaining some government hospitals, schools and group housing societies.
The best part of app is that complainants will not be required to mention their location of the spot because it will be identified through Google maps.
Two-time defending champion PV Sindhu (20) completed a hattrick of women’s singles title at the $120,000 Macau Open Grand Prix Gold after defeating Japan’s Minatsu Mitani in the finals. She will next play at the $120,000 Indonesia Masters Grand Prix Gold.
- The Hyderabad girl notched up a 21-9 21-23 21-14 win against sixth seed Mitani in a match that lasted an hour and six minutes.
- She is currently ranked at 13th in women singles.
Tyson Fury beats Wladimir Klitschko to become world heavyweight champion
Tyson Fury clinched three World heavyweight champion titles after beating Wladimir Klitschko in 12 rounds of boxing at the Esprit-Arena.
- WBA (World Boxing Association), IBF (International Boxing Federation) and WBO (World Boxing Organisation) titles to contender Tyson Fury, who made use of his speed and arm length to seal the win following a unanimous decision after 12 rounds.
- With the unanimous decision by the three judges, Fury remains unbeaten in the 25th fight to clinch the WBA, IBF and WBO belts meanwhile Wladimir Klitschko suffered his fourth loss, after 22 victories in row, in the 68th fight.
World heavyweight championship :
- The World Heavyweight Championship was a professional wrestling world heavyweight championship owned by WWE. It was one of two top championships in WWE, complementing the WWE Championship. It was established under the Raw brand in 2002
BBIN Friendship Motor Car Rally flagged off from Silchar
Bangladesh, Bhutan, India and Nepal (BBIN) Friendship Motor Car Rally was flagged off from Silchar, Assam.
Aim: To highlighting connectivity in the sub-region and seamless movements of vehicles across the borders in the 4 nations through implementation of BBIN Motor Vehicles Agreement (MVA).
Organiser: Union Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Kalinga Motor Sports Club (Odisha) in partnership with the counterpart clubs of the neighbouring countries.
- The 19-days rally will culminate at Kolkata (West Bengal) on December 2, 2015.
Pioneering Aussie footballer Joe Marston dies at 89
Australian football icon Joe Marston who was the first Australian to play in an FA Cup final has died at age 89.
About Joe Marston:
- Marston made 185 appearances for Preston North End between 1950 and 1955, playing in the team’s 1954 FA Cup final loss to West Bromwich Albion.
- He was also capped 37 times by Australia between 1947 and 1964.
- Marston became a legendary figure of the game, so that Football Federation Australia created the Joe Marston Medal, awarded to the best player in the A-League grand final.
International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People
The International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People also known as Solidarity Day is observed every year on November 29. It is generally held on November 29 each year to mark the anniversary of resolution 181. In 2003, it was observed on December 1.
- The annual observance was established inUN General Assembly Resolution 32/40 B of 2 December 1977, to start in 1978. In Resolution 34/65 D of 12 December 1979, the issue of commemorative postage stamps was requested.