Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Delhi Metro bags ISO rating for efficient energy management
The Delhi Metro has become the first metro service in the country to be certified with the prestigious International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) rating for efficient energy management.
- 15 stations of the Delhi Metro and one of its depots have been selected for this rating, enabling Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) to save 13,730 MVAH (Mega Volt Ampere Hour) and 5,628 MVAH in year 2013 and 2014 which translates to monitory savings of Rs 961 lakhs and Rs 394 lakhs respectively.
MHRD constituted TSR Subramanian committee to draft New Education Policy
Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) on 31 October 2015 constituted a drafting committee to frame the New Education Policy (NEP). It will be headed by former Cabinet Secretary TSR Subramanian and will have four members-
- Shailaja Chandra, former Chief Secretary, NCT of Delhi
- Sewaram Sharma, former Home Secretary, NCT of Delhi
- Sudhir Mankad, former Chief Secretary of Gujarat
- JS Rajput, former Director, NCERT
The mandate of the committee is to go through the outcomes of wide-ranging consultation process, among others, initiated by the ministry on 26 January 2015 and draft a revision to the NEP 1986 and also submit Framework for Action.
The committee is expected to submit the report by 31 October 2015.
Odisha Government imposes 7- month ban on fishing to protect Olive Ridley sea turtles
To protect the Endangered Olive Ridley sea turtles arrive during winters for nesting in Rushikulya river mouth and the Gahirmatha marine sanctuary (one of the world’s largest turtle nesting sites), the Odisha forest department has imposed a ban for 7 months from November 1 to May 31, 2016 on fishing along the coast.
- Within 20kms from coastline in the turtle nesting sites, trawlers and fishermen are banned to fish.
- Motor boats and mechanised trawlers are not allowed for fishing within 5km from coast.
- On-shore camp established at 13 places and 4 incubation centres to keep the eggs safe
Olive Ridley turtle:
- Other name: Pacific ridley sea turtle, Lepidochelys olivacea(scientific name)
- Found in: Pacific and Indian oceans
Tagged as endangered species because of their few remaining nesting sites in the world.
Nepal, US armies launch joint military training
Balance Nail 16-01:
Special forces of the US and Nepalese armies launched a month-long joint military training in Nepal’s mountainous regions to help strengthen bilateral defence ties.
Sri Mahavir Battalion, a specially trained ranger of the Nepal Army and A Company 1st battalion, 1st SFG (A) group of the Special Forces of the US Army started Balance Nail 16-01 training at Nepal Army’s training centre Chhauni and Nagarkot, according to Nepal Army headquarters sources.
- During the training, the participants will receive training on tactical combat casualty care, long range marksmanship, breaching, combat markmanship, demolition, combined culmination exercise among others.
- A team from the US Army equipped necessary logistics, has arrived in Kathmandu last week to take part in the joint training as such kinds of training is being organised between them from time to time for a long period.
- Since 2003, almost 30 Balance Nail training sessions have been conducted with the US army. The Balance Nail is beneficial as the training is then passed on to the wider Nepalese army.
Turkey’s AK Party wins 2015 general election of Turkey
The ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) of Turkey has won 2015 Parliamentary Election of Turkey. AKP had won 49.4 per cent of the vote, with the main opposition CHP on 25.4 per cent.
AKP won 316 seats of total 550 members while CHP won 134 seats, HDP won 59 seats and MHP won 41 seats. In Turkey The Political Parties need to secure 276 seats to govern the country alone.
2015 Parliamentary Election of Turkey :-
- The Turkish general election of 2015 first took place on 7 June 2015 in all 85 electoral districts of Turkey to elect 550 members to the Grand National Assembly. This was the 24th general election in the history of the Turkish Republic, electing the country’s 25th Parliament.
- The result was the first hung parliament since the 1999 general election, with unsuccessful attempts to form a coalition government resulting in a snap general election being called for November 2015.
- The election resulted in the Justice and Development Party (AKP) regaining a Parliamentary majority, having lost it five months earlier in the June 2015 general election.
Deepak Singhal appointed Executive Director of RBI
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on 2 November 2015 appointed Deepak Singhal as the Executive Director (ED). The appointment is effective from the same date.
- Singhal replaced K K Vohra who will now look after the Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC).
- After the appointment, Singhal will look after Central Security Cell, Corporate Strategy and Budget Department, Department of Corporate Services, Human Resource Management Department (including HR Operations Unit), Rajbhasha Department and Right to Information Act Division.
Captain Krishna Swaminathan takes over command of INS Vikramaditya
Captain Krishna Swaminathan assumed charge as the Second Commanding officer of INS Vikramaditya(Aircraft carrier) succeeding Captain Suraj Berry(Captain Since 2013).
About Mr. Swaminathan:
- He joined Navy in 1980 and Passed out from US Naval war college in Newport, Rhode Island was the first from around the world who bagged Naval war college Foundation Award
Previous Commanded missile vessels by Mr. Swaminathan
- INS Vidyut and Vinash
- INS Mysore( Part of India joint military exercise with Russia)
- INS Kulish
INS Vikramaditya key points:
- Motto: Strike far, strike sure
- Class: Kiev- class aircraft carrier
- Range: 13000 km
Federal Bank appoints Shalini Warrier as COO
Federal Bank a Privately-held bank has appointed Shalini Warrier as Chief Operating Officer(COO).
- Worked with Standard chartered Bank for 25 years and also was the CEO and head of consumer Banking of SCB(Brunei)
- Member and First Rank Holder(1991) in Institute of CA Of India
- Certified associate of Indian Institute of Bankers
Key points :
- HQ: Kochi, Kerala
- MD and CEO: Mr. Shyam Srinivasan
- FedBook: First electronic passbook launched by any bank in India
- Automated chat facility: first Indian bank mobile App for Bank account opening
AK Jha took over as CMD of Mahanadi Coalfields Limited
Anil Kumar Jha takes over as Chairman-cum-Managing Director of Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd. (Leading subsidiary of Coal India Ltd.)
About A K Jha
- 32 years of industrial experience
- He was director in Production and Planning in Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd.
- Started his career from Coal India subsidiary central Coalfields limited “Coal India”.
Mahanadi Coalfields Limited (MCL): One of the major coal producing company of India. It is one of the eight subsidiaries of Coal India Limited. Mahanadi Coalfields
HQ: Sambalpur, Odisha
ACQUISITION AND MERGERS
MTS India merged with Reliance Communications
Anil Ambani-led Reliance Communications Ltd (R-Com) is merging the telecom business of Sistema Shyam Teleservices Ltd (SSTL) that operates MTS brand with itself in an all-stock deal worth Rs.4,500 crore, marking the start of the much-anticipated consolidation in India’s telecom sector.
- R-Com on Monday signed a definitive agreement with Sistema JSFC, a publicly-traded holding company in Russia, for demerger of SSTL. As a result, SSTL will acquire and hold a 10% equity stake in R-Com.
- R-Com will also take over the liability to pay the department of telecommunications (DoT) instalments for SSTL’s spectrum, amounting to Rs.392 crore a year, for the next 10 years. As on 31 March, the total debt of R-Com was at Rs.39,828 crore.
- The transaction is expected to be closed in the second quarter of 2016, subject to regulatory approvals.
After the closure, minority investors of SSTL will be given an option to exchange their shares in SSTL with the pro-rata R-Com shares held by SSTL.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Environment Ministry Launches New Website on National Clean Development Mechanism Authority
A new website – http://www.ncdmaindia.gov.in has been launched by the National Clean Development Mechanism Authority (NCDMA) in the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change.
- The new website, launched last Friday, will capture the entire life cycle of CDM Projects. With step, the Ministry has taken another step in applying the principles of e-governance.
- The on-line uploading of project related information in a module wise pattern will help to capture the entire life cycle of CDM projects.
- It will also enable monitoring of the projects at different stages. This web-based application will promote transparency in operation and monitor sustainable development activities relating to the CDM projects in the country. It will be the first such web-based application developed globally in this direction.
Nico Rosberg wins 2015 Mexican Gand Prix of Formula 1
Mercedes Formula One team driver Nico Erik Rosberg from Germany won the 2015 Mexican Gand Prix title of Formula One (F1) which was held at the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez in Mexico City.
- It is Rosberg’s fourth win of the season after Spain, Monaco and Australian Grand Prix and overall twelfth championship title of F1 in his career.
Result of 2015 Mexican Gand Prix :-
- First Position: Nico Rosberg (Germany) of Mercedes team
- Second Position: Lewis Hamilton (Britain) of Mercedes team
- Third Position: Felipe Massa (Brazil) of Williams team
- Fourth Position: Daniil Kvyat (Russia) of Red Bull team
- Seventh Position: Nico Hulkenberg (Germany) of Force India team
- Eight Position: Sergio Perez (Mexico) of Force India team
Roger Federer wins 2015 Swiss Indoors Basel Title of Tennis
After a 21-month wait, Federer and Nadal renewed their storied rivalry on the indoor hard courts of the ATP world tour 500 event, with the Swiss winning for the first time since 2012 BNP Paribas Open in Indian wells.
- He claimed 7th Title in his Hometown(Switzerland) 6-3,5-7,6-3
- Roger is 17 time Grand Slam Winner and this is his 6th title of season and 88th of career.
- He is World no. 3 Tennis Player.
Former Speaker of West Bengal Hashim Abdul Halim passes away
CPM veteran and Former West Bengal Assembly Speaker Hashim Abdul Halim passed away in Kolkata. He was 80. Halim had a record of serving as the Assembly speaker for 29 long years from 1982 to 2011 during the Left Front rule.
About Hashim Abdul Halim :-
Born :- Halim was born on 5 June 1935
- Halim started his career as a practising lawyer and later joined Communist Party of India (Marxist).
- He was elected to the Legislative Assembly of West Bengal for the first time in 1977 and he served in the assembly for six terms, from 1977 to 2011.
- He was the Minister for Judicial Affairs in the Government of West Bengal from 1977 to 1982 and subsequently served as Speaker of the Legislative Assembly from 1982 to 2011.
American actor Al Molinaro passed away
American actor Al Molinaro(96), best known for playing Al Delvecchio(Malt shop owner) on the TV series “Happy Days” passed away. He was suffering from complications of a gallstone ailment.
- Born in Kenosha, Wisconsin
- Worked in TV series “The old Couple” as Murray Greshler(as a Cop) from where he stepped on the ladder of success
- Film career: Freaky Friday, The Great American Traffic Jam
- Guest appearances: Get smart, Green Acres. That Girl and Bewitched
BOOKS & AUTHORS
First copy of book on ‘The President of India and the Governance of Higher Education Institutions’ presented to the President
The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee received the first copy of a book ‘The President of India and the Governance of Higher Education Institutions’ (November 2, 2015) at Rashtrapati Bhavan from the Founding Chancellor Mr. Naveen Jindal and Founding Vice Chancellor, Professor (Dr.) C. Raj Kumar of O.P. Jindal Global University.
- The President congratulated the authors and the O.P. Jindal Global University as well as the International Institute for Higher Education Research & Capacity Building for bringing out the book.
- The book ‘The President of India and the Governance of Higher Education Institutions’ provides an overview of higher education in India and includes chapters on the role of the Visitor; historical and legal analysis of the position of the Visitor in India; President Mukherjee’s initiatives for promoting excellence in higher education and reimagining Indian universities as world class universities by taking rankings seriously. It also gives an insight on the way forward towards institution building for nation building.
International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists
United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki- Moon marked the International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists (IDEI) to honour journalists and media workers who were on duty killed for reporting the truth and ensured that they can report freely.
- On the 2nd World Day Mr, Ban said in the last decade more than 700 journalists have been killed. Many of these deaths are either unsolved murders in a combat.
- History: In 2013, The UN decided to dedicate November 2 as the International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists. The date was chosen in memory of 2 french journalists Ghislaine Dupont and Claude Verlon were brutally murdered in Mali.
Other campaigns by UN to prevent violence against news workers are like World Press Freedom Day(3 May)
Key points :
- UN Headquarter: New York
- Members: 193(Member states), 2(Observer States)