Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs March 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
The Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI) has introduced two prime projects for National Waterway No 2, a section of the Brahmaputra River between the Bangladesh border and Sadiya (Assam).
- These two facilities will encourage the Inland Water Transport users to interpose into environment friendly mode of transportation.
Mahesh Kumar Singla committee constituted to consider ST status to 6 communities of Assam
The Centre to set up Committee to recommend the modalities for Granting of SC statusto six OBC communities in Assam.
- The committee will be headed by Special Secretary in the Home Ministry Mahesh Kumar Singla, and the committee will submit its report by May 31 this year.
- The Six communities that have been demanding ST status are Moran, Koch Rajbongshi, Muttuck,Sootea,Tai Ahom and Adivasis
- In article 342 of the constitution communities are notified as Scheduled Tribes if they display five basic characteristics Primitive traits, geographical isolation distinct culture, Shyness of contact with higher community and Economic Backwardness.
- If these communities were granted ST status the state will be a Tribal Dominated State accounting 50 % of Tribal population.
- Capital: Dispur
- Chief Minister: TarunGogoi
- Governor: PadmanabhaBalakrishna Acharya
MS Swaminathan Research Chair for Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences
MS Swaminathan Research Foundation has signed MoU with Bhubaneswar based Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences.
- The MoU signed between Professor M S Swaminathan and AchyutaSamanta Founder of KISS, this is the first in the nation to establish Research Chair in any private Institute.
- On behalf this MoU the two institutes will work on Promotion of Knowledge and skill empowerment for less privileged children in India.
- The chair will be named after MS Swaminathan father of Indian Green Revolution.
- KISS is an agent of social transformation, having transformed lives of thousands of tribal children, it is largest residential institute for the tribals in the world.
- KISS provides free education with accommodation and health care from Kindergarten to Post Graduation to more than 25, 000 children.
After the controversial deal of F-16 jets between US and Pakistan, a strategic dialogue on key areas is likely to take place. This ministerial level dialogue will focus on areas like economy, security and counter terrorism.
This is the 3rd strategic dialogue between US and Pakistan after the Nawaz sheriff government came into power
Peru declared emergency after oil spill Hits Rivers
Peru government has declared state emergency after a major oil pipeline burst affecting two rivers in the country’s northeast region.
- At least 3, 000 barrels of crude oil have spilled into the Chiriaco and Morona rivers which are prime source of water for the use of people of this region.
- The emergency will provide humanitarian help for the communities around the affected region, the spills have stopped transportation of 6, 000 barrels of oil a day.
- The emergency will last for three months in most of the districts in the north of the country.
- Capital: Lima
- Currency: Peruvian Nuevo sol
BANKING & FINANCE
IFC, a member of World Bank group has launched its first Uridishi masala bond in India to mobilize 300 million rupees from Japanese household investors to promote private sector investment in India.
- Masala bonds are rupee-denominated instruments sold only to offshore investors
- Uridishi bonds are sold to Japanese household investors
Delhi Metro To Ferry Cargo On Airport Express Line From March 1.
The Delhi Metro will start cargo Services on Airport Express Line from March 1, 2016, the service will be experimental for the period of three months.
- The trial based service will last for three months, if it gets good response from the public tender for a long term service will be floated.
- This service to carry only Non- perishable and merchandise of E-commerce sites.
- This initiative by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation would be the first ever occasion in India to carry Cargo on Metro Rails, this initiative will reduce the vehicle movements in the Capital subsequently lesser consumption of fossil fuels and lower emission of CO2.
- The Delhi Airport express line that connects New Delhi railway station to Indira Gandhi International Airport.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
5 Indian International Airports have been conferred with Airport Service Quality Awards (ASQ) 2015. These airports will be presented with award during the ACI Asia-Pacific Regional Assembly in Gold Coast, Australia, which is scheduled to be held in April 2016.
- In the category of Best Airport by Region (over 2 million passengers per year)– Mumbai and New Delhi (tie at 2nd rank).
- Best Airport by Size (25 – 40 million passengers per year) – Mumbai and New Delhi (tie at 1st rank).
- Best Airport by Size (2 – 5 million passengers per year) – Jaipur (1st rank) and Lucknow (2nd rank).
- Best Airport by Size (5 – 15 million passengers per year) – Hyderabad (3rdrank)
TCS, one of the leading IT solutions providers has been awarded the Global Top Employer award by Top Employers Institute.
- TCS have been given the Global Top employer award by the Top Employer’s Institute after assessment of 1072 companies across the globe
Bollywood actor Randeep Hooda was felicitated by Melbourne based South Asian community members at a function and he was also honoured with achievement award for his contributions to film industry by SAPAC.
- The members of a Nonprofit organization South Asian Public Affairs Council (SAPAC) honoured the visiting actor with an achievement award for making his mark in the film industry
Sataparna Mukherjee, an 18 year old class 12th student of West Bengal is selected by NASA for its Goddard Internship Programme to study in Goddard Institute of Space Studies.
- Sataparna Mukherjee is a class 12th student of Judes School in West Bengal
- She belongs to a village called Madhyamgram in West Bengal
- She is one among the top 5 elite scholars selected across the globe
Indian Accent again bags the Best Restaurant of India
Indian Accent, the famous restaurant situated in New Delhi again bags the best restaurant award in India in the Asia’s best 50 Restaurants event sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua panna presented at Gala ceremony in the Thai capital yesterday.
- The award was given to the restaurant for the second consecutive time and it was collected by Sandeep tandon, Managing director of Old World Hospitality and Shantanu Mehrotra- the Executive Chef of Indian Accent
- It is also listed in the world’s best 100 restaurants list, the only restaurant from India
- Recently Indian Accent have opened a branch in Newyork
- Chairman of Old World Hospitality-Rohit Khattar
Armaan Ebrahim won FMSCI Motorsports Man of the Year Trophy
Chennai’s car racer Armaan Ebrahim won Motorsports Man of the Year Trophy organized by Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India at a Gala Award ceremony held in New Delhi.
- He was awarded the Raymond GautamSinghania Rolling Trophy along with prize money of 2 lakh.
- The award is bestowed for his performance at the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo Asia series where he finished second at Fuji.
- BI Chandhok was awarded the Lifetime achievement award at the function also the founder of FMSCI.Chandhok contributed towards the motorsport in India.
- The ceremony also granted 99 other awards for eight different championships held in 2015.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Hashim Thaci elected as President of Kosovo
Kosovo Lawmakers have elected Hashim Thaci as the country’s new president, proving simple majority in the third round after the indecisive first two stages of voting in Pristina.
- 81 MP’s from 120 seat parliament took part in the third round of the election, with 71 of them voting for Thaci.
- Prior to his appointment he was serving as Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of the Government.
- He will succeed Atifete Jahjaga as the new President of the country, the will formally take oath on April 7, 2016.
- Capital: Pristina
- Currency: Euro
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
NASA invites India to jointly explore Mars, send astronauts
India’s maiden Successful Red Planet mission Mangalyaan paving the way for Joint Mission with NASA.
- ISRO’s capabilities at undertaking low cost, high value inter planetary mission has opened the eyes on India’s stand in the sector.
- NASA eying for the next mission to Mars for the next decade, which is 2020- 2030. US delegations invited ISRO to take part in the meeting to be held in Washington to plan for 5-6 mission to Mars.
- India became the first Asian country to enter into the Red planet in the maiden attempt itself.
- The cost of the project is about 450 crores, a fraction of NASA’s MAVEN
- Mangalyaan was completed within a period of 15 months.
Rahul Sachdev clinched first All India open invitational snooker championship 2016, Sachdev had achieved the highest by reaching the national 6 Reds final in the year 2013, and however winning this feet will certainly raise his confidence.
- In the road to final Rahul ousted LaxmanRawat of railways whereas Pushbender Singh defeated Kamal Chawla of railways.
- The Invitational Snooker championship 2016 held at Aurangabad in Maharashtra.