Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs April 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
An agreement has been signed for Ganga Rejuvenation under the Namami Gange Programme in New Delhi, between the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation and German International Cooperation.
- The agreement was signed in the presence of the German Ambassador to India, Martin Ney and Secretary, and Shashi Shekhar, Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation
Maharashtra Legislative Council clears Dance bar bill
The Legislative Assembly of Maharashtra passed the dance bar regulation bill with regulations against the violators.
- Bar owners or operators face up to five years in jail and fines of up to Rs 25,000 for violations.
- The dance bars should be at least a km away from any education or religious institution, and they should operate between 6 pm and 11.30 pm.
- It also bans running bars in the residential buildings and permits them in semi-residential ones only if the three-fourths residents approval.
Cabinet nod for MoU with UAE to combat Human Trafficking
The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of a MoU between India and UAE on preventing all forms of human trafficking, especially women and children.
- The MoU is expected to be signed very soon after approval. Anti-trafficking Cells and Task Forces will work on both sides to prevent human trafficking.
It will strengthen the bonds of friendship between the two countries and increase the bilateral cooperation on the issues of prevention, rescue, recovery and repatriation related to human trafficking
MoU between India and Bangladesh on cooperation in the field of Fisheries
Union Cabinet was approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Bangladesh in September, 2011.
- To strengthened the friendly relations between India and Bangladesh
- To promote development of cooperation in fisheries and aquaculture and allied sectors through mutually agreed activities and procedures.
The MoU will remain in force for a period of five years and it could be extended for further period as may be mutually agreed upon.
- Bangladesh is known as ‘The Land of Bengal”
- The independence of Bangladesh was declared on 26 March 1971
- Capital: Dhaka
- Currency: Taka
- PM : Sheikh Hasina
Haryana Government renames Gurgaon as Gurugram
Manokarlal Khattar led Haryana government decided to rename Gurgaon district as Gurugran The state government also decided to change the name of Mewat district to Nuh.
- The decision comes from government in the aftermath of the demands by people of the area.
- Haryana is a historic land of the Bhagwat Gita and Gurgaon had been a centre of learning.
- Gurgaon district derived its name from the name of Guru Dronacharya the village was given as gurudakshina to him by his students, the Pandavas, and hence it came to be known as Guru-gram, which in course of time got distorted to Gurgaon.
- Capital: Chandigarh.
- Governor: Kaptan Singh Solanki
Cabinet nod to adopt statute of SAWEN to check wildlife crimes
The Union Cabinetchaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave its nod for India adopting the statute of the South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN) which will help in checking cross border wildlife crimes.
- The MoU allows the country to become a formal member of SAWEN in order to strengthen ties with the member countries in controlling the trans-boundary wildlife crime through communication, coordination, collaboration, capacity building and cooperation in the region.
SAWEN for combating wildlife crimes:
- SAWEN is a platform for its eight member countries to cooperatively work together in the fight against the burgeoning wildlife crime and its statute lays down an action plan for them to adopt and adhere in the next six years to check wildlife crime.
- SAWEN comprises eight countries in South Asia, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
India placed at the 44th position among 50 different countries in a Global Connectivity Index (GCI) report has been compiled Electronics major by Huawei.
- The 50 countries assessed by GCI 2016 account for 90 percent of global GDP and 78 percent of the world’s population.
- Huawei claims that the GCI also includes survey results from 3,000 firms across 10 verticals in 10 nations.
South Pacific island nation Nauru has become the 189th member of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank.
- Nauru applied for membership in the Washington-based IMF and World Bank in April 2014, after joining the United Nations in 1996 as the world’s smallest independent republic.
- The World Bank, which helps developing countries to spur growth and fight poverty, welcomed Nauru as its smallest member by land mass, at 21 square kilometers.
BANKING & FINANCE
Kochi based Federal Bank has joined with Chillar Payment Solutions Ltd., to promote the start-up’s technology product – Campus Wallet.
- Currently 16 schools in the state have on boarded to Campus Wallet with around 14000 students using the Campus Wallet.
- This is an Identity Card faded Banking technology with Students can make payments in stores, canteen, library etc within the respective campuses by flashing the Campus Wallet cards at the special swiping machines installed at these locations.
India To Notch Up To 7.5 % Growth In 2016–17 : IMF
In its Economic Outlook IMF retained its 7.5 per centGDP expansion forecast for India in 2016 and 2017.
- IMF suggested the government to size down the subsidies, initiate labour reforms and dismantle infrastructure bottlenecks to sustain strong growth.
- In India, growth is projected to notch up to 7.5 per cent in 2016-17, as forecast in October.
- IMF 2016 global growth forecast for the fourth time in the past year to 3.2 per cent, quoting China’s slowdown, persistently low oil prices and chronic weakness in advanced economies. This was down from 3.4 per cent projected in January.
- IMF upgraded its China growth forecast by 0.2 percentage point for this year and the next to 6.5 per cent and 6.2 per cent, respectively.
AMD ties up with HSMC for chip manufacturing
Leading Chip maker AMD ties up with HSMC to enter Indian electronics sector for chip manufacturing .
- AMD CEO Lisa Su and telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad are discussed matters related to semi-conductor policy and its fab proposal and plans to set up a chip manufacturing plant in India
- Demand for electronic products in India is expected to reach $400 billion by 2020.
AMD CEO and President : Lisa Su
Golden Tobacco Ltd became first company in India to implement 85% pictorial health warnings
Golden Tobacco Ltd. has become the first company in India to implement the rule of Union Health Ministry.
- Before, the cigarette packets used to cover only 40 percent of the packet’s area. But now both the sides of cigarette packets will now display health warnings in 85 percent of the area.
Cigarettes Packaging Amendment Rules, 2014:
- Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Amendment Rules, 2014, came into force on April 1, 2015
- These specified health warnings shall be rotated every 24 months
- Tobacco contains alkaloid and nicotine
- Union Health Ministry & Family Welfare: Shri Jagat Prakash Nadda
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Jammu& Kashmir born poet and novelist Padma Sachdev has been chosen for the prestigious Saraswati Samman for the year 2015 for her autobiography named ‘Chitt-Chete’ written in Dogri language and published in 2007.
- Sachdev’s work was selected among five works that were shortlisted from 22 works in as many languages published between the years 2005-2014.
- The award carries an award money of Rs 15 lakh, a citation and a plaque.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Deepak Kashyap appointed as anti-corruption official in BSNL
Deepak Kashyap, a 1985 batch officer of Indian Railway Service has been appointed as Chief Vigilance Officer (CVO) of BSNL.
The CVO acts as distant arm of Central Vigilance Commission to check corruption.
- IAS officer Manoj Kumar – CVO of Delhi Development Authority (DDA)
- Revenue service officer Sushma Singh – CVO of National Institute of Fashion Technology. (NIFT)
- IPS officer Deepak Kumar – CVO of Heavy Engineering Corporation Ltd Ranchi.
Centre appoints Finance Secretary as liaison officer with Jammu and Kashmir
Finance Secretary Ratan Wattal was appointed as the liaison officer to working between Jammu and Kashmir government and central government
- He will be responsible to ensure the flow of funds to the J & K government and implementation of Prime Minister’s Development Package in the state.
- J & K Capital-Jammu(Winter ), Srinagar(summer)
- J & K Governor– N.N.Vohra
- J & K CM: Mehbooba Mufti
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
Vijay Mallya acquires Barbados Tridents CPL Franchise for Just 100 USD
Vijay Mallya acquired his second T20 franchise, Barbados Tridents, for only USD 100.
- He has claimed that he paid only USD 100 to acquire Barbados Tridents, a franchise in the Caribbean Premier League (CPL).
- Running the team will cost about USD 2 million but the Barbados government is granting subsidies to the franchise.
- CPL teams depend on ticket sales and sponsorship to generate revenue.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Mr. Piyush Goyal, the Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Power, Coal and New & Renewable Energy launched DEEP (Discovery of Efficient Electricity Price) an online portal for the acquisition of short-term power by DISCOMs.
- The “DEEP” web portal will ensure the continuous flow of power from seller to the buyer.
- It will be a very strong weapon to bring the illegal transactions into the light, and confine all these illegal transactions. Deep will also help in price reduction through competition.
Akash missile test fired in Odisha
India’s indigenously developed surface-to-air Akash missile was test fired for second consecutive day from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur near Balasore in Odisha.
Missile target: ‘Banshee’ and a para barrel target
Features of Akash Missile
- Strike range: 25 km
- Powered by : Ramjet-rocket propulsion system
- Speed:Mach 2.8 to 3.5
Delhi government launched PoochhO Carpool app to help people during odd-even scheme
“PoochO Carpool” app was launched by Delhi Transport Minister Gopal Rai to give people more options for carpooling during the second phase of the odd-even traffic scheme(April 15 to 30)
Developer: Delhi Integrated Multi-Modal Transit System (DIMTS)
Features of PoochO Carpool app :
- It would help users find carpool options within a radius of 1-5km
- It would have a chat feature that will help users communicate with the car driver without even mentioning their numbers
The scheme is not applicable to CNG vehicles, two-wheelers, women motorists, cars carrying school children in uniform and several kinds of VIPs
Cricket Icon Sachin Tendulkar’s Biopic Sachin A Billion Dreams Poster Revealed
Cricket Legend Sachin Tendulkar released the teaser poster ofSachin: A Billion Dreams his upcoming biopic.The film’s teaser will be out on April 14
The Master’s Biopic:
- Sachinis making his acting debut with the movie, which has been directed by award-winning British director James Erskine.
- The poster shows Sachin walking on the field carrying his bat and with pads on. 55 Days of training. One pair of trousers. The Sachin story, reads the caption on the poster.
- A Mumbai-based production company 200 Not Out has helmed the movie.
- The Master Blaster retired from all three formats of the game in 2013. Awarded India’s highest civilian honor– the Bharat Ratna.
England Cricketer James Taylor retired from International Cricket
England middle order batsman James Taylor has been forced to retire from cricket at the young age of 26 due to a serious heart condition, by the England and Wales Cricket Board.
- Taylor, who plays county cricket for Nottinghamshire, withdrew from last week’s game against Cambridge MCCU with what was believed to be a viral infection.
- He made his Test debut in 2012 at Headingley against South Africa. A score of 34 in his first knock was a great effort against a brilliant attack.
- He played 7 test matches and 27 ODI internationals for England and captained the side against Ireland in May 2015.
US entertainer David Gest found dead in UK hotel
Entertainer, Producer, David Gest and reality television star died at the Four Seasons hotel in Canary Wharf.
- He was best known in the UK for his appearances on “I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here!” and “Celebrity Big Brother”.