UPSC Civil Services Exam Syllabus 2023: Union Public Service Commission has released the UPSC Civil Services Exam (CSE) 2023 syllabus. Eventually, UPSC conducts the Civil Services Prelims Written Exam on 28/05/2023. Candidates who are preparing for the Civil Services Exam such as IAS, IPS, IFS etc. can check the complete Civil Services 2023 Syllabus here. We collected the CSE Syllabus & Exam Pattern and posted them here for easy reference of aspirants. So candidates can refer our page to download the latest UPSC Syllabus.
UPSC Civil Services Syllabus & Exam Pattern 2023:
Aspirants should be aware of the updated exam pattern before starting their preparation. So candidates are advised to refer to the exam pattern before viewing the syllabus. We have also listed the selection process for UPSC Civil Services Exam.
UPSC Civil Services Exam selection involves 3 steps as follows.
- Prelims Exam
- Mains Exam
UPSC Civil Services Prelims Exam Pattern:
|S. No||Name of the Test||Marks||No of Questions||Duration|
|1||Paper – I||200||100||120 minutes|
|2||Paper – I||200||80||120 minutes|
- Both the question papers will be of the objective type (multiple choice questions).
- The question papers will be set both in Hindi and English.
- The General Studies Paper-II of the Civil Services (Preliminary) Examination will be a qualifying paper with minimum qualifying marks fixed at 33%.
- It is mandatory for the candidate to appear in both the Papers of Civil Services (Prelims) Examination.
UPSC CSE Prelims Syllabus:
1. PAPER – I
|1||Current events of national and international importance|
|2||History of India and Indian National Movement|
|3||Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World|
|4||Indian Polity and Governance-Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.|
|5||Economic and Social Development-Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion,|
Demographics, Social Sector Initiatives, etc.
|6||General issues on Environmental ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.|
2. Paper – II
|2||Interpersonal skills including communication skills|
|3||Logical reasoning and analytical ability|
|4||Decision making and problem solving|
|5||General mental ability|
|6||Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc.) (Class X level)|
UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam Pattern:
Candidates who qualified in the Prelims Exam are permitted to appear for the Mains Exam. So candidates can go through the Mains pattern mentioned below and prepare accordingly.
1. Paper A
|Indian Language (One of the Indian languages to be selected by the candidate from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution).||300 Marks|
2. Paper B
|Paper B||English||300 Marks|
|Paper‐II||General Studies‐I (Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society)||250 Marks|
|Paper‐III||General Studies ‐II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)||250 Marks|
|Paper‐IV||General Studies ‐III (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)||250 Marks|
|Paper‐V||General Studies ‐IV (Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude)||250 Marks|
|Paper‐VI||Optional Subject ‐ Paper 1||250 Marks|
|Paper‐VII||Optional Subject ‐ Paper 2||250 Marks|
|Sub Total (Written test)||1750 Marks|
|Personality Test||275 Marks|
|Grand Total (Paper A + Paper B)||2025 Marks|
- Marks obtained by the candidates in Paper I-VII will be counted only for merit ranking.
- The question papers for the examination will be of conventional (essay) type.
- The question papers (other than the literature of language papers) will be set in Hindi and English only.
- Candidates may choose any one of the optional subjects listed below.
List of optional subjects for Mains Examination:
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Science
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
- Literature of any one of the following languages
- Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Odia, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santhali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu and English.
How to Download UPSC CSE Syllabus 2023:
- Visit ->www.upsc.gov.in
- Click the Civil Services Notification link on the home page.
- Search for the exam pattern and syllabus in the official notification.
- Download the syllabus PDF for future reference
- Candidates can also use the direct download “click to download syllabus” button.