Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- India’s Poverty Rate Lowest Among Nations with Poor Population: World Bank
- Ministry of Commerce & Industry Inaugurated Advantage Healthcare India 2015
Hyderabad hosted International conference on women in law enforcement
The international conference on Women in Law Enforcement in India was held in Hyderabad from 6th October to 8th October 2015.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVPNPA)
- Charles Sturt University (CSU), Australia
The primary objective of the conference was to intensify the proficiency of future women leaders.
- 51 foreign and 70 Indian delegates participated in the meetings and the event would conclude with a valedictory address by the Union Minister of Human Resources Development, Smriti Zubin Irani.
- The other key theme of this conference that police should grow with the changing dynamics of institutions and social customs.
Mobile app launched for Badrinath pilgrims
Uttarakhand Govt launched Mobile app named “Shubh Badrinath Yatra” which will enable all the pilgrims to access all the important information during their travel between 44-km stretch Joshimath and Badrinath.
- It was launched by Uttarakhand CM Shri Harish Rawat
- App was developed by the Chamoli district administration
- App is available at Google Play Store
- Provides information like availability and nearest location of ATMs, petrol pumps, hotels, taxi, bus stands, and toilets.
- Inform yatris about the distance between their present location and Badrinath
- Phone numbers which can be very helpful in case of a crisis
- Alternative routes available in case of a landslide on the way
- List of important villages and ration shops located nearby
The app is launched as a pilot project and it will further extended with the remaining Himalayan shrines – Kedarnath, Gangotri and Yamunotri and other major tourist destinations in the state.
Programme on conservation of gibbons launched by Arunachal Pradesh
With a move to conserve endangered Eastern Hoolock Gibbon species a community and school-based education programme was instigated in Arunachal’s Lower Dibang Valley district in the state and at Sadiya sub-division under Assam’s Tinsukia district.
- ENVIRON (North-East based NGO)
- State’s Environment and Forest department
- Aitijya (The Heritage) as partner
- Supported by US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Rajiv Gandhi University’s Zoology department
- G B Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development (GBPIHED), NE Unit would provide all technical support
The launch also celebrated the fifth day of the Wildlife Week from 2nd to 8th October, 2015.
China launched Typhoon detecting missile
After the destruction done by typhoon Mujigae in the southern Guangdong province of China, the country has launched its first typhoon detecting rocket from Hainan.
The typhoon detecting missile is the joint efforts of the Shanghai Typhoon Institute of China Meteorological Administration and China Aerospace Science & Industry Corp with the support of Hainan Meteorological Service and took three years in completion of the project.
- After the 6 minutes of launch it has dropped several radiosondes into the centre of Typhoon Mujigae and the data retrieved was accurate with high scientific research value.
- Typhoon Mujigae had made the land fall in the coastal city of Zhanjiang with winds of up to 50 meters per second by which 7 people were killed and 223 were injured.
Highly protected International Zone of Baghdad opens to public
After the span of 12 years the International Zone of Baghdad or Green Zone was opened to the general public as declared by the Iraq’s prime minister, Haider al-Abadi.
- Green zone is the highly defensive area of 10-square-kilometre (four-square-mile) is protected by high concrete walls with barbed wire and a number of checkpoints.
- It is situated on the west bank of the Tigris River considered to be the homeland of country’s top political institutions and embassies.
- It was declared as no-go-area in 2003 during the US invasion of Iraq because of the heavy bombardments by US forces.
But for Iraqis it became the symbol of “disconnect” between the country’s top officials and ordinary citizens so after 12 years Iraq Government opened this area with a promise to their citizens that they are moving towards reforms and will not step back.
KEY– Iraq capital – Baghdad & Iraq currency – Iraqi Dinar
IL&FS, GIFTCL boosted Siemens after inking MoU
German company Siemen’s share mounted to Rs.1, 388.50 on BSE after inking Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services (IL&FS) and Gujarat International Finance Tec-City Company (GIFTCL) to develop Smart Mobility Solutions Tec-City GIFT in Gujarat.
Siemens will work on city-level Mobility solutions, design state-of-the-art by study and development.
- Designed as a hub for global finance services industry GIFT is a 50:50 JV of Gujarat Urban Development Company and leading infrastructure development company, IL&FS.
- It is a smart city with global standards situated on the banks of the Sabarmati River in Ahmedabad which is expected to generate 500,000 direct jobs and another 500,000 indirect jobs over a medium term and 80,000 jobs 2017-18.
Awards and Recognition
Four PIOs selected for fellowship in Canada
Among 27 leaders four Indian-origin professionals in Canada have been selected for a fellowship for a Toronto-based firm CivicAction that hires civic leaders to tackle socio-economic and environmental issues.
PROFILE OF SELECTED INDIAN CANDIDATES
- Anita Abraham is executive director of Meal Exchange (MX), a non-profit organisation that works in more than 40 communities with an aim to build sustainable food systems and fight poverty.
- Ritesh Kotak is a cyber-whiz for the Toronto Police and he wants to use the fellowship time to help people.
- Mrinalini Menon works as a talent sourcing manager at the Royal Bank of Canada and volunteers with the Royal Ontario Museum and Canadian Stage Company.
- Pam Sethi works in health policy, system planning and strategic development with the Ontario government with 10 years of experience.
Sahitya Akademi Award returned by Nehru’s niece
Writer Nayantara Sahgal (88) has returned the prestigious Sahitya Akademi Award received in 1986 in lieu of her protest against government’s failure to safeguard the India’s diversity and debate and she called it as “vicious assault”.
- Ms Sahgal is the niece of Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
- She has titled his decision of returning the award as “Unmaking of India” which refers to the mob killing of a Muslim man over rumours that he had eaten beef and also the killings of rationalists MM Kalburgi, Narendra Dabholkar and Govind Pansare.
- Ms. Sahgal was a member of the Sahitya Akademi’s Advisory Board for English but she resigned during the Emergency in 1975 where she criticized her cousin Indira Gandhi.
Appointments & Resigns
Twitter appointed Jack Dorsey permanent CEO
Chirping Twitter designated the Jack Dorsey as its permanent chief executive after a 3 months search. As a CEO with twitter will be his second stint as he was the co-founder of Twitter and was named as its CEO in the start. Now also the BOD is convinced with quality of Dorsey that he can pull out the company from financial losses
- The 38-year-old had been Twitter’s interim CEO since July as Dick Costolo resigned in June.
- Mr. Dorsey will be the full time CEOs of two companies as he will continue to serve Square Inc (a mobile payment company that was founded in 2009) as its CEO.
AWARDS AND RECOGNIZATIONS
- He was named in the MIT Technology Review TR35 as one of the top 35 innovators in the world under the age of 35.
- In 2012 he was honoured with the “Innovator of the Year Award” for technology by Wall Street Journal.
iGate CEO Ashok Vemuri Quits after Merger with Capgemini
47 years old iGate CEO Ashok Vemuri has resigned the US-based company in months after it was acquired by French IT major Capgemini. Now finance chief of iGate Sujit Sircar designated as interim CEO.
- It was acquired by Capgemini in April 2015 with $4 billion deal.
- Mr Vemuri was the Infosys highest-paid executive and there he was the head of manufacturing and engineering services.
- He had joined iGate as CEO in September 2013.
- He held 400,000 shares of iGate with a value of Rs. 120 crore when Capgemini announced the acquisition.
Science & Technology
Russia’s Sergey Karjakin wins Chess World Cup
25 years old Russia’s Sergey Karjakin has won the chess World Cup by defeating his opponent Peter Svidler by 6-4 in the final.
With this both Karjakin and Svidler qualified for the Candidates tournament for the next world championship that to be held next March. India’s Viswanathan Anand and the two Americans Fabiana Caruana and Hikaru Nakamura are also qualified for world championship.
ABOUT SERGEY KARJAKIN
- He is 1990 born Ukrainian-born Russian chess grandmaster.
- He is having the record of youngest Grandmaster at the age of 12 years and 7 months.
- Karjakin won the 2012 World Rapid Chess Championship and the Chess World Cup 2015.
- He bagged Norway Chess Tournament twice (2013, 2014) and the Corus Chess Tournament in 2009.
Swedish crime writer Mankell passes away
Henning Georg Mankell, crime writer, children’s author and dramatist from Sweden whose most famous creation was the detective Kurt Wallander, died. He was suffering from cancer from 18 months.
- His collection of Wallander crime novels gained international fame after it was made into a television series by BBC starring Actor Kenneth Branagh.
- There have been 40 million copies of novel about Swedish detective Kurt Wallander was sold and have translated into 40 different languages.
- He also wrote children books and in 1996 he was awarded with Swedish Astrid Lindgren Prize for excellence in children writing.
Books & Authors
Ruled or Misruled: Story and Destiny of Bihar: Santosh Singh
- The book titled Ruled or Misruled: Story and Destiny of Bihar authored by the Assistant Editor of the Indian Express’ Santosh Singh was released in last week of September 2015.