Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
National Tribal Crafts Mela Aadishilp-2015 begins in New Delhi
Union Tribal Affairs Minister Shri Jual Oram inaugurated National Tribal Crafts MelaAadishilp at Dilli Haat in New Delhi on 2 November, 2015.
Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Ltd. (TRIFED).
Objective of Aadishilp :
To give tribal artisans an opportunity to showcase and sell their traditional art and craft works directly to the customers
- It will be open till November 11, 2015. Unique and exquisite tribal artefacts of more than 90 tribal artisans from all over the country are being exhibited in this Exhibition.
- Hand crafted items, handloom products, dry flowers, cane and bamboo products, tribal jewellery, Dhokra craft, tribal weaves, embroidery, tribal paintings and lot more is being exhibited at the venue.
About TRIFED :
- TRIFED has been taking a number of promotional initiatives for marketing of tribal products. From a single sales outlet of TRIBES India in 1999 in Delhi, it has established 34 outlets of its own and 10 Consignment outlets across the country.
- TRIFED, under Ministry of Tribal Affairs, is the only apex body of Govt. of India which is engaged in the development and marketing of traditional tribal products.
Mysuru becomes first visually impaired-friendly railway station
Mysuru MP Pratap Simha inaugurated the facility the country’s first visually challenged friendly station in Karnataka.
- Along with tactile maps of station describing the location and distance of entrance, platforms, counters, washrooms etc, schedule of trains, showing their arrival and departure time, the authorities have also put up 400 metal signages in Braille along the railings of the staircases leading various platforms.
- A private company sponsoring the project to engage non-governmental organisations and volunteers to help the visually challenged.
Key points :
- Railway Minister : Suresh Prabhu
Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurates 7th Nuclear Energy Conclave in New Delhi
The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurates 7th Nuclear Energy Conclave in New Delhi and he said that India’s nuclear programme is ahead of many other nations and truly testifies the Make in India initiative.
Organiser : India Energy Forum
Theme : “Creating conditions for rapid capacity addition on nuclear power in India.”
- The Indian Nuclear Insurance Pool (INIP) will cover the operators liability under the CLND Act, 2010 and adequately address the liability related concerns of national as well as international suppliers.
India has also entered into agreements with several countries like France, Russia and USA to establish a large generation capacity.
Punjabi became third most common language in Parliament of Canada
Punjabi became Canada’s third most common language obtained the same position in the country’s Parliament after English and French followed by the polling of 20 Punjabi-speaking entrants to the House of Commons. The voice of the Indo-Canadian community will now be very well interpreted in the parliament.
- 430,705 Canadians found Punjabi as their mother tongue- According to Statistics Canada’s 2011 National Household Survey
Justin Trudeau(Canada PM), who won from Papineau, Quebec constituency, will publish his Cabinet and some of Punjabi-speaking representatives may be included in this Cabinet.
23 MPs of South Asian origin were elected to the House of Commons.Three are
- Chandra Arya(born and raised in India)
- Gary Anandasangaree(Tamilian)
- Maryam Monsef (Afghan origin), do not speak Punjabi
Canada Capital,Currency: Ottawa, Canadian Dollar
China Launches the C919 Joins the Big Jet Club
First Chinese-built 158-seat C919(C in C919 stand for China), which aims to rival Boeing 737 and Airbus A320, rolls off assembly line in Shanghai city’s Pudong international airport.
- China’s aviation industry has experienced powerful surge and number of airports may proliferate from 200 to 240 in the upcoming five years.
- Already received 517 orders for the C919, the greater part from Chinese companies.
- Work on the C919 began in 2008 but its first test flight,basically anticipated for last year, would not now take place until 2016.
- Boeing predicted that Chinese airlines will need to buy 4,630 new single-aisle planes and 1,500 new wide-body airplanes by 2034.
- China Capital, Currency: Beijing,(Renminbi, Yuan)
- President : Li Keqiang
- Prime Minister : Xi Jinping
Nepal receives first consignment of petrol from China
To calm attenuated paucity of petroleum products by reason of Madhesi-led blockade of India-Nepal border lasted for one month over the new Constitution, Nepal has obtained 73.5 metric tonnes of petrol from China for the first time.
- Agreement was inked between Nepal Oil Corporation and Petro China in Beijing. China will supply petrol, diesel, LP Gas and air gasoline.
- China has given consent to aid petroleum products to Nepal to fulfil one third of its demands.
- Through Rasuwagadhi trading point 12 trucks of petrol(144,000 litres) from China entered Nepal.
- India had a consortium on Nepal’s fuel supplies for decades but anxieties over the blockade have prompted Nepal to turn to its northern neighbour China.
- Nepalese Ambassador to China: Mahesh Maskey
BANKING & FINANCE
Amazon to open its first-ever physical book store in Seattle
Amazon.com Inc is set to open its first physical book store in Seattle University Village.
- The brick-and-mortar store Amazon Books is a physical extension of Amazon.com with books being selected based on customer ratings and pre-orders on Amazon.com.
- The store will also have an option to test-drive Amazon’s devices such as Kindle, Echo, Fire TV and Fire Tablet.
Key points :
- Amazon CEO : Jeff Bezos
- Amazon Headquarters : Seattle, Washington
IPL COO Sundar Raman resigns, BCCI accepts resignation
Indian Premier League Chief Operating Officer (COO) Sundar Raman has resigned from his position.
- In an effort to clean up the system, the BCCI has promptly accepted Raman’s resignation. It has been learnt that he had been asked by BCCI President Shashank Manohar to put in his papers by October 31.
- New BCCI president Shashank Manohar had earlier criticized the board’s decision retain Raman post the 2013 IPL spot-fixing and betting scandal.
Key points :
- BCCI President : Shashank Manohar
- BCCI Headquarters : Mumbai, Maharashtra
Manpreet Vohra appointed India’s new envoy to Afghanistan
Senior diplomat Manpreet Vohra has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to strategically important Afghanistan, succeeding Amar Sinha.
- India and Afghanistan are strategic partners and relations between the two countries are on an upswing. India has invested $2 billion in aid and reconstruction and trained scores of Afghan officers.
About Manpreet Vohra :
- Vohra, a 1988-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs.
- He had served in the Indian High Commission in Pakistan as the Deputy High Commissioner besides having worked in Disarmament and International Security Affairs Division of the External Affairs Ministry.
- He had also served as India’s Ambassador to Peru.
Tata Motors ropes in Lionel Messi as global brand ambassador
India’s largest automobile company Tata Motors has roped in soccer superstar Lionel Messi as global brand ambassador for its passenger vehicles portfolio for two years said by Tata Motors President, Passenger Vehicle Business Unit Mayank Pareek.
About Lionel Messi :
- Lionel AndrésMessi is an Argentine professional footballer who plays as a forward for Spanish club Barcelona and the Argentina national team.
- Messi is the only football player in history to win the FIFA Ballon d’Or four times, all of which he won consecutively, and the first player to win three European Golden Shoes.
- He has won sevenLa Liga titles and four UEFA Champions League titles, as well as three Copa del Rey
- He also holds the Guinness World Records titles for most goals scored in La Liga (289).
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Kuwait terminates agreement with Olympic Council of Asia
During a Cabinet meeting(Minster of Cabinet Affairs Sheikh Mohammed Al Sabah,Kuwait) Kuwait’s government has decided to terminate its agreement with the Olympic Council of Asia. The decision came after the International Olympic Committee suspended(second suspension) Kuwait for political interference.
Other who banned Kuwait from International competition:
FIFA suspended Kuwait after it broke down to alter its sports law. Kuwaiti teams and clubs are barred. The association and its members are barred from receiving FIFA development assistance.
- Kuwait capital,currency: Kuwait City, Kuwaiti Dinar
- PM: Jaber Al-Mubarak Al-Hamad Al-Sabah
- Monarch: Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah
India goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu set for Europa tryst
Gurpreet Singh Sandhu created history by becoming the first Indian footballer to play for a first division European club, goalkeeper Gurpreet Singh Sandhu added another feather to his cap by ensuring that he would be the first from his country to be part of a team scheduled to play in the Europa League next season.
- Stabaek FC, the Punjab boy’s employers in Norway, ensured a qualifying berth after triumphing over lowly Start in the penultimate round of the Norwegian League, also called Tippeligaen.
- Norway’s heavyweights Rosenburg have already won the league with 66 points and are followed by Stromsgodset (56). Close on their heels are Stabaek with the same number of points. Stabaek are currently placed third which guarantees a first round qualification berth.
Actor and Oscar-winning writer Colin Welland passes away
Academy Award-winning British actor and screen writer Colin Welland has died at 81 after years of struggling with Alzheimer’s disease.
About Colin Welland :
- Welland was born to John Arthur “Jack” and Norah Williams in Leigh, Lancashire in 1934.
- Welland started his acting career in the BBC’s TV series, “Z-Cars”. He then starred as a (seemingly prophetic) villain Frank Chadwick in an episode of the 1970’s British TV police drama.
- He played the character Willie on Dennis Potter’s 1979 film “Blue Remembered Hills” and in the 1980 comedy series “Cowboys” and “Twice in a Lifetime“.
- He has won a BAFTA award in 1969 for playing the sympathetic English teacher Mr Farthing in Ken Loach’s Kes.
Ex-MLA Gurcharan Chabbra on hunger-strike passes away
Former Janata Dal MLA Gurcharan Chabbra, who was on fasting to demanding liquor ban and strengthening of Lokayukta in Rajasthan on 3rd November, 2015.
- The 65-year-old anti-liquor crusader, who was on fast since October 2