All India Radio (AIR)’s programme on child labour has bagged the first prize under the Community Service Announcement category at the Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) Prizes 2015.
The Malayalam programme, titled “Nilkkam Ivarkkoppam” (Can Stand Beside Them), was part of an initiative taken up by Biju Mathew, programme executive at AIR Thiruvananthapuram on behalf of All India Radio.
The award comprising a cash prize worth $2,000, a certificate, and a statuette, was announced at a function held at Ankara, Turkey, on Friday on the sidelines of the 52nd ABU General Assembly and Associated Meetings.
Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) :
- TheAsia-Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU), formed in 1964, is a non-profit, professional association of broadcasting organisations.
- It currently has 200 members in 57 countries and regions, reaching a potential audience of about 3 billion people. The ABU’s role is to help the development of broadcasting in the Asia-Pacific region and to promote the collective interests of its members.
- The ABU covers an area stretching from Turkey in the west to Samoa in the east, and from Russia in the north to New Zealand in the south.
Key points :
- ABU Headquarters : Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- ABU President : Yoshinori Imai