Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs March 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia presented a Rs 46,600 crore annual budget for 2016-17, pegging plan outlay at Rs 20,600 crore. An increase of Rs.8,850 crore over last year,
- Aravind Kejriwal led Delhi government put a tax-free budget and rationalised the VAT structure The Govement allocated lion’s share of Rs.10,690 crore for education or nearly 23 percent of the total allocation.
Sixth Economic Census of Himachal Pradesh was released by Pradeep Chauhan, the Economic Advisor of Himachal Government. The survey was started in 2012 and completed in two phases with 8303 enumerators, 3844 supervisors and 175 charge officers covering 24,932 enumeration blocks.
- Himachal was first state in the country to complete the census and release the report and the parameters and methods adopted by the state are being followed by other states.
Haryana launches ‘Adapting homes for the differently-abled’ scheme.
Haryana launched a new scheme, under which six months’ pension would be given in advance to persons with disabilities for adapting their homes as per their requirement. This amount would be recovered over a period of 42 months under the ‘Adapting homes for the differently-abled’ scheme.
Other Schemes for PWD persons:
- Haryana has also been selected by the Centre as a pilot State for universal ID for persons with disability, for which work has already been started.
- Gurgaon and Faridabad districts have been selected for the ‘Accessible India’ campaign for persons with disabilities.
BHEL commissions 40 MW hydropower generating unit in West Bengal
BHEL has commissioned the second 40 MW hydropower generating unit at the Teesta low dam hydro electric project (HEP) stage IV in West Bengal.
- The estimated annual energy generation of 720 million units from the project is expected to reduce green-house gas emissions and will help in achieving a low carbon development path for the state as well as the nation.
- The company has so far commissioned nearly 400 hydro generating sets of various ratings with a cumulative capacity of around 20,000 MW.
Haryana approves Jat reservation bill
Haryana Cabinet approved the Jat reservation bill to provide reservation to Jats and four other castes in government jobs and educational institutions.
- The draft Bill on reservation to Jats and four other castes was cleared at a Cabinet meeting under the chairmanship of Chief Minister, Manohar Lal Khattar.
- The Bill proposes reservation for Jats and four other castes namely, Sikhs, Rors, Bishnois and Tyagis
ADB, USAID join hands to support India’s clean energy expansion plan
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to collaborate on supporting India’s expansion plans for clean energy infrastructure.
- The MoU will pave the way to make USAID to align the components of its technical assistance with ADB’s current and planned investments in renewable energy.
- The Department of Economic Affairs had demanded ADB to provide financing up to $ 500 million each to support rooftop solar, and expansion of the transmission network to connect solar parks in multiple states.
Asian Development Bank:
- Headquarters: Manila Philippines
- President: Takehiko Nakao
- Founded: 1966
Syrian Army recaptures historic city of Palmyra from IS
Syrian government forces drove Islamic State out of Palmyra, inflicting what the army called a mortal blow to militants who seized the city last year and dynamited its ancient temples.
- Palmyra is an ancient Semitic city in present-day Homs Governorate, Syria. Archaeological finds date back to the Neolithic period and the city was first documented in the early second millennium BC.
- The loss of Palmyra represents one of the biggest setbacks for the ultra-hard-line Islamist group since it declared a caliphate in 2014 across large parts of Syria and Iraq.
- Capital: Damascus
- Currency: Syrian Pound
- President: Bashar Al Assad.
BANKING & FINANCE
The long-term loan, almost interest free by World Bank of $100 million loan to Jordan for job creation, comes after Lebanon was also awarded $100 million to ensure universal school enrolment for Lebanese and Syrian refugee children by 2017.
- The World Bank Board granted Long term Loan of $250 million Development Policy Loan for Rajasthan.
Federal Bank to open incubation centres for startups
Federal Bank plans to set up incubation centers for startups in Bangalore and Ernakulam. These are expected to offer advice on capital, regulatory support and even disburse funds in the branches.
- These centres are named as Launchpad, equipped with fast internet connections, support staff from the financial world and advisory mechanisms.
- The bank has a dedicated startup fund of worth 25 crore which will be utilized for funding or lending to promising startups. The bank also plans to integrate its mobile payments application ‘Chillr’.
Ola ties up with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance
Ola Cabs has tied up with Bajaj Allianz General Insurance to provide motor insurance to its drivers. It will not only provide a cover for accidents, but will also insure theft of vehicles as well as damage, in addition to a personal accident cover of Rs 2 lakh.
- The two companies are also working together to create a digital infrastructure that will bring insurance transactions like purchase or claims, fully online.
- Recently Ola had announced a partnership with Indifi to offer personal loans to its drivers.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
The 63rd National Film Awards were started as an annual incentive by the Government of India to encourage meaningful films.
- Best actress: KanganaRanaut for ‘Tanu Weds Manu Returns’KanganaRanaut was adjudged the Best Actress last year for VikasBahl’s Queen, which also emerged as the Best Film. Kangana had earlier won the Best Supporting Actress award for Fashion in 2008.
- Best actor: Amitabh Bachchan for ‘Piku’, this is fourth National Award for Amitabh Bachchan who had earlier won for Agneepath, Paa and Black
- Best Film: ‘Baahubali: The Beginning’
- Best Director: Sanjay LeelaBhansali for ‘BajiraoMastani’
- Best popular film providing wholesome entertainment: ‘BajrangiBhaijaan’
- Best Film Friendly State Award: Gujarat (special mention to UP and Kerala)
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Indian-American NanditaBakshi has been appointed the President and Chief Executive Officer of Bank of the West.
- The new Chief Executive will replace Michael Shepherd as Bank of the West’s next President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and is expected to join the bank as a CEO-in-training on April 1 and will take the helm officially on June 1.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Singapore Corvette Test-Fires Barak Missile
Singapore Navy (RSN) has successfully test-fired a Barak missile from its Victory-class missile corvette RSS Vigour during Fleet Exercise conducted in the South China Sea
- The RSN’s Missile Corvette Squadron, on the conduct of the exercise and the capabilities of the missile corvette.
- One of the five founding members of the ASEAN, Singapore is also the host of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation.
- Singapore ranked number 1 according to a recent report on the healthiest countries.
- In the “Doing Business2006” report Singapore has topped the Ease of Doing Business rankings.
India to host 2017 FIFA Under-17 World Cup
Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that India is going to host under-17 FIFA World Cup in 2017 in the 18th edition of his ‘Mann Ki Baat’ programme.It is a big chance to present the Indian brand on the global level.
About FIFA U-17 World Cup :
- The FIFA U-17 World Cup, founded as the FIFA U-16 World Championship, later changed to the FIFA U-17 World Championship and known by its current name since 2007
- It is the world championship of association football for male players under the age of 17 organized by Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA).
- 2015 – Chile and 2017 – India
California Chrome lands world’s richest horse race
California Chrome won a Kentucky Derby, a Preakness, and a Horse of the Year title. Yet for all of that, California Chrome redefined himself with his brilliant victory in the Dubai World Cup.
- This Dubai World Cup was the best performance of California Chrome’s career.
- This victory brings Chrome of $6 million to his $6.53 million career earnings and surpassed 2008 World Cup champion Curlin as the all-time richest racehorse outside of Japan.
- Curlin, the World Cup’s 2008 winner, went into with $10.5 million in career earnings
Global Catholic Network founder Mother Angelica has died
Mother Mary Angelica, a folksy Roman Catholic nun who used a monastery garage to begin a television ministry that grew into a global religious media empire, has died. She was 92.
- Mother Angelica had been in declining health since suffering a severe cerebral haemorrhage on Christmas Eve 2001.
- AmericanFranciscan nunbest known as a television personality and the founder of the internationally-broadcast cable television network Eternal Word Television Network.
- Mother Angelica hosted shows on EWTN until she suffered a stroke in 2001.