Sixth Economic Census of Himachal Pradesh was released by Pradeep Chauhan, the Economic Advisor of Himachal Government. The survey was started in 2012 and completed in two phases with 8303 enumerators, 3844 supervisors and 175 charge officers covering 24,932 enumeration blocks.
- Himachal was first state in the country to complete the census and release the report and the parameters and methods adopted by the state are being followed by other states.
- This is the first census in which nearly 100 per cent establishments, both in urban and remotest rural areas had been covered.
- The census was conducted in all the 12 districts of the state. More than 12 thousand trained employees completed this economic census operation.
Highlights of the Census:
- Economic activities picked up fast in both rural and urban areas in Himachal in the past eight year , the number of establishments increased from 2,57,716 in the fifth economic census to 4,12,240, while the number of persons employed rose from 5,69,659 to 9,77,188, registering an increase of 59.71 per cent and 71.54 per cent, respectively.
- Out of total employed persons in the state, 5,62,067 are engaged on hired and 4, 15,121 in non-hired basis and only 12,034 establishments with eight or more persons have 3,53,113 employees.
- In the Handicraft and handloom sector was covered in the most exhaustive census and 12,172 establishments, 11,361 in rural and 811 in urban areas were included in enumeration.
- The women contribution increased from 84,085 to 23,741 (three folds), while the number of women establishments stood at 49,173, which included 45,229 own account establishments (OAE).
- The annual increase in women participation was 13.84 percent.