Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Government of India (GOI) wants to create a network of Khadi Gramudyog across villages in India on the 68th death anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and a book titled Nathuram Godse – The Story of an Assassin is also released on the occasion.
After “Wings Rainbow” in Mumbai now Kerala is all set to launch to G-Taxi (Gender Taxi) which will be operated owned and operated by members of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community. It is first of its kind in Kerala.
- Objective – To provide a better means for livelihood for the minority group and to ensure them non-discriminatory treatment in society.
- The initiative for G-taxi has been taken by state-run Gender Park, under the Department of Social Justice.
- Like the She-Taxi, G-Taxi cabs will also have advanced security features, including GPS.
In a bid to make 1600 filth-free villages along the Ganga stretch, the centre is all set to implement a four-pronged programme.
- The Government will clean the first phase of Ganga cleaning by October 2016 by initiating the package in village panchayat headquarters along the river banks.
- 6,000 villages will be taken up for the second phase which will be attained in 4 years.
Committee on living conditions of nurses in private establishments
The Supreme Court instructed the Union Government to set up a committee to investigate the living conditions and salary structure of over 3 lakh nurses employed in private hospitals and nursing homes across the country.
- The direction was given by three-judge Bench headed-by Justice Anil R Dave while hearing a petition filed by the Trained Nurses Association of India.
The association contended that the nurses were underpaid and their working conditions were in clear violation of Universal Declaration of Human Rights, to which India is a signatory.
India ranks 4th on the list of nations with the most number of think tanks, with nearly 100 new taking the country’s totals to 280 in 2015. More than 6,800 thinktanks exist worldwide.
- US top the list with 1,835 thinktanks for 2015.
Japan unveiled first stealth fighter aircraft X-2
Japan unveiled country’s first stealth fighter aircraft X-2, X-2 is likely to go through its first test-flight in February 2016.
- It costs 340 million US dollars and is smaller than a standard jet fighter.
- It was built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd under the policy Mitsubishi Advanced Technology Demonstrator-X.
- Similar toF-22 of the USA it has two engines, and is 46 feet long- 30 feet wide and 15 feet tall.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI increases WMA for states to Rs 32,225 crore
The RBI has increased the Ways and Means Advances (WMA) for all states to Rs 32,225 crore for the current and next financial years.
- RBI provides financial help to the government to cope with the financial situations like mismatches in the cash flow by the Ways and means advances(WMA) method.
- WMA are proposed to provide mitigate to the states to carry on their important activities and normal financial operations.
Jet Airways introduces a booking feature called “FareLock”
Mumbai Airlines Jet Airways introduces a booking feature called “FareLock” that allow passengers to keep a selected fare for a limited period before confirming the purchase later.
- FareLock is applicable for Jet Airways’ network only its mobile site is jetairways.com
- Once the passenger selects the FareLockoption, they have to pay a nominal fee of Rs 350 for domestic ticket and Rs 700 for an international ticket to conform the fare.
This feature will provide more helpful and flexible for passengers to plan their fare.
Alibaba’s first Indian trade facility centre opens
Wholesale trading platform, China’s Alibaba.com launched its first physical trade facility centre in Jaipur and a Hindi portal, aimed at connecting small and medium businesses with global buyers.
- By providing information and services in Hindi, the site will enable Indian traders from small cities and rural areas, to easily connect with merchants worldwide.
- Company will make Trade Assurance Programme available on the portal, providing a full set of protections for buyers in global trading.
Alibaba will also provide a collateral-free finance support programme for the Indian SMEs.
Iran, Airbus signed deal to buy 118 Airbus planes
Iran, Airbus has signed a deal to buy 118 Airbus jets worth $27.The deal was signed when Iranian President Hassan Rouhani visit by to France.
- The deal included twelve A 380 super jumbos 73 wide body and 45 narrow body jets.
- The main aim to buy A380 is to significantly boost for Airbus.
- The deal depends mainly on Airbus winning US export licenses as maximum parts that is nearly 10% of the jets are manufactured in United States
- Capital of Iran- Tehran
- Currency of Iran- Iranian rial
TCS, Infosys, Wipro join Obama’s “computer science for all” plan
Infosys, Tata Consultancy Services and Wipro have joined US President Barack Obama‘s ambitious computer science for all initiative as part of public-private collaboration which pledged over $3 million in grants.
- “Computer Sciences for All” emphasized on the need for teaching the subject as a “basic skill” to all children across schools in the country in a changing economy.
Wipro collaborated with the Michigan University for multiyear project while TCS and Infosys pledge is part of the National Science Foundation’s (NSF) effort in partnership with the private sector to support high-school CS teachers.
- Infosys has pledged a USD 1 million in donation.
- Wipro granted USD 2.8 million.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Director of the Kudankulam nuclear power plant (NPP) construction site, Ramayah Shanmuga Sundar has been conferred with “Order of Friendship” by Russia to recognize his contribution towards the implementation of the NPP Kudankulam project.
- In accordance with Intergovernmental agreement of 1988 between India and Russia, NPP Kudankulam project is currently under construction at Koodankulam in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu.
- In 2014, both nations inked the General framework agreement for construction of the second phase of the NPP (third and fourth Units).
Tom Hanks named America’s most popular movie star
Tom Hanks has been named America’s most popular movie star for the fifth time. The 59 year old Hanks also nab the title in 2002, 2004, 2005 and 2013.
- His latest film “The Bridge of Spies” has topped in the Oscar winning movies as per the survey poll that surveyed more than 2,200 adults in the US.
- He has been in the business for a remarkable 36 years.
- Hanks had won the Best Actor Oscar for his role in Forest Gump.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Blue Star appoints Vir S Advani as MD
Air conditioning and refrigeration major Blue Star Ltd has designated Vir S Advani as its Managing Director and B Thiagarajan as Joint Managing Director w.e.f. April 1, 2016.
- Vir S Advani will replace Satish Jamdar who will be bowed out from his services on March 31, 2016.
About Vir S Advani: He has been with the Blue Star group of companies since 2000. After managing independent assignments in associate companies he joined Blue Star Ltd in 2007.
- He was appointed as Executive Director in 2010 and he was instrumental to turnaround the troubled Electro-Mechanical Projects business.
About B Thiagarajan:
He who joined Blue Star 17 years ago and progressively took charge of after sales service, marketing, manufacturing and R&D of the AC&R products business.
- He was elevated to the Board as Executive Director in 2013.
Muktesh Kumar Pardeshi appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Mexico
A 1991-batch IFS officer Shri Muktesh Kumar Pardeshi has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Mexico.
- He is presently serving as the joint secretary in Ministry.
P. Harish appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Socialist Republic of Vietnam
A 1991-batch IFS officer P. Harish has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
- He is currently posted as Consul General in Houston, US.
Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba Takes Over Western Naval Command
Vice-Admiral Sunil Lanba has been designated as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Western Naval Command.
- He is currently serving as the Southern Naval Command chief. He will succeed Vice-Admiral SPS Cheema.
About Sunil Lanba:
- He is an alumnus of Mayo College, Ajmer and the National Defence Academy, Vice Admiral Lanba was commissioned in the Executive Branch of the Indian Navy in January 1978.
- He served as Navigating Officer of INS Sindhudurg (corvette) and INS Dunagiri (frigate), Kakinada (minesweeper), Himgiri (frigate), Ranvijay (guided missile destroyer) and Mumbai (guided missile destroyer).
- He has also been faculty at the College of Defence Management and has headed the prestigious National Defence College of India as Commandant.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
A British woman Sue York became the first person in the world to have a pancreas transplant
Sue York a British woman becomes the first person in the world to have a pancreas transplant due to her severe needle phobia.
- She has been suffering from type-1 diabetes since she was 7 years old.
- To cure her phobia she had tried hypnotherapy and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- In 2012 when her phobia reached to a critical point the Drs. Have to check her blood glucose levels by pricking her skin.
104th edition of $44,000,000 Australian Open 2016 was held at Melbourne in Australia from January 18 to January 31 2016. It was the first Grand Slam tournament of the year.
- The tournament event were consists of singles, doubles and mixed doubles play.
- Junior and wheelchair players competed in singles and doubles tournaments.
34th Senior National Rowing Championship was held at Hyderabad, Telangana from 25th to 31st January, 2016 which was organised by Rowing Federation of India. There were participants from 20 states and the event was categorised under 10 heads.
- There were total 27 medals including 9 Gold, 9 Silver and 9 Bronze.
Suhr sets women’s world indoor pole vault record
Reigning Olympic champion Jenn Suhr of the United States broke her own women’s world indoor pole vault record by clearing 5.03 meters at the Golden Eagle Invitational meet.
- Suhr set the record at Brockport State in suburban Rochester breaking the mark of 5.02m she established on March 2, 2013 at the US championships in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
That effort made her the second woman in the world to crack the 5m. mark after Russia’s Yelena Isinbayeva.
TN Gopakumar Editor-in-Chief of Asianet News and Veteran journalist at the age of 58 passes away due to cardiac arrest in Thiruvananthapuram. He was the receiver of the Kerala Sahitya Akademi award for his book ‘Suchindrum Rekhakal’.
Noted Telugu litterateur Nayani Krishnakumari passes away
Telugu litterateur Nayani Krishnakumari passed away due to ailing for some time Hyderabad. She was 86.
- She was the daughter of legendary writer Nayani Subbarao, she began writing stories with a history of Andhraites called Andhrula Katha when she was 18.
She was an academic who taught in Chennai, Osmania University and finally at the Potti Sriramulu Telugu University.