India ranks 4th on the list of nations with the most number of think tanks, with nearly 100 new taking the country’s totals to 280 in 2015. More than 6,800 thinktanks exist worldwide.
- US top the list with 1,835 thinktanks for 2015
- China ranks 2nd with 435 thinktanks and the United Kingdom ranks 3rd with 288.as per the ‘Global Go to Think Tank Index Report (GGTTI) 2015′.
- The US-based Brookings Institution on the top for the consecutive eighth year.
- Six Indian thinktanks are in the global top 175.
- List of Indian thinktanks is as follow Centre for Civil Society (CCS, rank 79), Institute For Defense Studies and Analyses (IDSA, 104), Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations (109), The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI, 111), Observer Research Foundation (ORF, 118) and Development Alternatives (136).
- Four more Indian thinkthanks Brookings India, Gateway House-Indian Council on Global Relations, United Service Institution of India and Vivekananda International Foundation) are included in the top 175 list if US is excluded from the list.
About Think thank
- Think tank is an organization that performs research and advocacy regarding topics such as social policy, political strategy, economics, military, technology, and culture.
- Most of these institutes arenon-profit organizations while other think tanks are funded by governments, advocacy groups, or businesses
- The oldest American think tank, theCarnegie Endowment for International Peace, was founded in Washington, D.C. in 1910 by Andrew Carnegie