According to the latest Global Go To Think Tank Index Report, released globally by the Lauder Institute, Pennsylvania University, US on January 27, 2017, the Delhi based Observer Research Foundation (ORF) has been ranked as the top think tank in the China, India, Japan and the Republic of Korea category.
In the category of Asian region, ORF ranked 5th out of 90 think tanks, improving its position from 6th (out of 65) last year.
- The first position in this category was bagged by Korea Development Institute, Republic of Korea, Japan Institute of International Affairs came second while Korea Institute for International Economic Policy came in third.
- In world-wide (Non-US) category, ORF ranked 50th out of 150 think tanks, thus improving its position from last years 90th position (out of 137).
- In this category, Chatham House was ranked first. Besides, the only Indian think tank ahead of ORF in the same category was the IDSA which came 30th.
- In the category of world-wide (US and non-US), ORF ranked 119. The Brookings Institution, US, came first.
- In the overall world ranking, ORF came 64th out of 133 think tanks, moving up from the 85th position in the last Index report. Brookings Institution came in the first place.
- In the ‘Top Education Policy Think Tanks’, only ORF featured from India. It came 63rd out of 65 think tanks.
- In the ‘Top Environment Policy Think Tanks’ category ORF finished 89th. Stockholm Environment Institute bagged the first rank.
- Other than these, the ORF was ranked the highest think tank in India in the ‘Top Foreign Policy and International Affairs Think Tanks’, ‘Best Managed Think Tanks’, ‘Think Tanks with Best Use of Internet’, ‘Best Institutional Collaboration Involving Two or More Think Tanks’ and ‘Think Tanks with the most Innovative Policy Ideas/Proposals’ category.
- Based on the ranking, ORF was seen as the most featured Indian think tank across categories by appearing in 26 places making it the most top Think Tank in Asia Category.
About Observer Research Foundation (ORF)
Observer Research Foundation (ORF) is an independent think tank based in India.
- Its aim is to lead and aid policy thinking towards building a strong and prosperous India in a fair and equitable world.
- ORF helps discover and inform India’s choices. It carries Indian voices and ideas to forums shaping global debates. It provides non-partisan, independent, well-researched analyses and inputs to diverse decision-makers in governments, business communities, and academia and to civil society around the world.
- It’s mandate is to conduct in-depth research, provide inclusive platforms and invest in tomorrow’s thought leaders today. ORF has partnerships with think tanks such as Brookings Institution, Chatham House, RAND Corporation, Centre for Strategic and International Studies (USA) among others.
- Formation: September 5, 1990
- Headquarters: New Delhi
- Director: Sunjoy Joshi