Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
French President Francois Hollande was on 3 days visit to India. He was chief guest of the Republic Day parade. This is President Hollande’s 2nd State Visit to India and the 5th time (earlier 1976, 1980, 1998 and 2008) that a French Head of State has been invited as the Chief Guest on India’s Republic Day celebrations.
- Visit commenced from “City Beautiful” – Chandigarh (designed by French architect Le Corbusier)
- India, France sign Rafale fighter plane accord
- India, France ink pacts for cooperation in space technology
- International Solar Alliance – India’s first international &inter-governmental organization headquartered in India
- Mr. Hollande Bollywood Meet – Actors Aishwarya Rai & Shahrukh Khan, Designer Ritu Beri & filmmaker Aditya Chopra
Indian Railway flagged off India’s first blind friendly train, from Mysuru to Varanasi. The train is financed by Pratap Simha, Mysuru Member of Parliament (MP), from the MPLAD Fund. The train was inaugurates by Mr Prtap Simha.
- The Union Minister of Railways always tries to inauguration which helps the local people in every situation.
Railway broadband reaches 500,000 households through its Railwire network. In the next two years the network is providing a host of services at the block level. Indian Railways is an Indian state-owned enterprise, owned and operated by the Government of India (GoI) through the Ministry of Railways.
- India optic fiber network covers 4,400-plus railway stations across 44,300 km in Railway.
Indo-Armenia sign Double Taxation Avoidance Convention Amendment
GOI and Armenia has inked the protocol to amend the existing Double Taxation Avoidance Convention that has been in existence since 9th September, 2004.
What Protocol amends?
- It amends the Article on Exchange of Information for tax purposes on the sidelines of updated provisions in the OECD Model.
- It will enable both nations to exchange information related to financial and banking transactions which will result in addressing tax evasion.
- It also helps in strengthening of efforts to curb generation of black money.
- Capital – Yerevan
- Currencies – Noah’s Ark silver coins, Armenian dram
- PM – Hovik Abrahamyan
- President – Serzh Sargsyan
Indo-Russia agreement on competitive research projects
Indian and Russian researchers have been signing an agreement for a period of six months in the areas of basic and Exploratory Sciences.
- The competition research projects are in the field of Mathematics, Computer & System Science, Physics & Space Science, Chemistry & Material Science, Biology and Life Science, Basic research for Medicine, Agricultural Science, Earth Science and Engineering Science.
- The validity period could be extended through mutual approval betweenDepartment of Science and Technology (DST) and Russian Science Federation (RSF).
Minister of Department of Science and Technology (DST) -Dr. Harshvardhan
Key points :
- Russia Capital : Moscow
- Russia Currency : Ruble
- Russia PM : Dmitry Medvedev
Cabinet approval for cyber security pacts signed with Malaysia, Singapore, and Japan
The Union Cabinet has recently settled an approval for cyber security pacts signed with Malaysia, Singapore and Japan. These pacts have been signed by Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In).
Aim: To promote and exchange knowledge and experience in recognition, declaration and prevention of security related incidents between India and these countries.
- Signed pacts are as follow; CET-In inked sealed MoUs with Malaysia’s Cyber Security and Singapore Computer Emergency Response Team.
Japanese automaker Toyota has been emerged as the world’s biggest automaker for the 4th straight year by selling 10.15 million vehicles in 2015.
- Toyota outpaced its “diesel dupe” rivalry Volkswagen, who logged a sales of 93 million vehicles worldwide and ranks second in the global vehicle sales.
- German automaker Volkswagen is followed by Detroit-based General Motors (GM) who has sold 8 million vehicles.
Corruption Watchdog Transparency International (TI) has ranked India at 76th place in its Corruption Perceptions Index (CPI) 2015 out of 168 countries with a score of 38 out of 100.
- This indicated that the perceptions around the extent of corruption in the country are improving as compared to 85th rank in 2014 and 94th rank in 2013.
- The corruption watchdog uses data from institutions including the World Bank, the African Development Bank and business school IMD to compile public sector corruption on scale.
- The index grades a country on a scale from 100 (very clean) to 0 (highly corrupt).
Danish Parliament approved Seizure of Migrant Assets
The Danish parliament has approved a controversial law allowing authorities to seize refugee’s cash and valuables and delay them being reunited with their families.
- The policy would treat migrants and refugees in the same way as the country’s unemployed, who must sell assets above a certain value before they can receive benefits.
- The policy says that the police will be able to seize valuables worth more than 1340 euros (1000 Pound) from refugees to cover housing and food costs.
The bill has been criticized by UN chief Ban Ki-moon and human rights groups as refugees deserved compassion.
- Capital – Copenhagen
- Currency – Danish krone
- PM – Lars Lokke Rasmussen
BANKING & FINANCE
Reserve Bank of India has shortlisted 5 companies for Audit and Risk Monitoring Mechanism (AMRMS) for Central Bank from five “potential shortlisted”.
- The objective of AMRMS is to enable paperless office environment in the banking sector.
Coca Cola launched dairy drinks in India
Beverages major Coca Cola has launched milk-based beverages under the brand name “Vio”.
- As a part of pilot launch Coca Cola has tied up with Reliance Retail to make the brand available at the latter’s 500 stores.
- The company has tied up with Schreiber Dynamix Dairies Pvt Ltd which will manufacture the product.
- Vio was launched in the US in 2009, will be available in “Kesar Treat” and “Almond Delight”
The company has 54 plants in India of which 24 are franchise plants, 25 are company-owned and 5 are co-packers.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Melbourne based Sajeev Koshy, a dentist by profession, has been honoured with the highest civilian honour, the Order of Australia to recognise his services to dentistry in Victoria, Australia. He hails from Kerala.
Veteran Bollywood actress Rekha was honored with the third Yash Chopra Memorial Award in Mumbai. The award was presented by Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Raofor her talent and contribution to the film industry. The award function has been organization by the TSR Foundation of T Subbarami Reddy in the memory of the producer-director.
Thakkar selected for 2016 S&T achievement Award
An Indian origin person Cottalango Leon hailing from Coimbatore has been selected for the 2016 Technical Achievement Award of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- Leon was conferred with this award to recognize his design, engineering and continuous development of Sony Pictures Imageworks Itview. It is a tool used only within Sony Imageworks.
- Another Indian origin person, Rahul Thakkar was awarded for the groundbreaking design of DreamWorks Animation Media Review System. He is a computer engineer graduate from Mumbai University and currently the Vice-President at Brivo Systems.
Cottalango has several hit films to his credit including Spiderman series, Men in Black series, Hotel Transylvania, The Smurfs, Cloudy With The Chance of Meatballs, Open Season and Stuart Little.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Alice Vaidyan, new CMD of GIC Re
Alice Vaidyan is the new Chairman and Managing Director of General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC Re), the National Reinsurer.
- First woman to head the reinsurer.
- She has been the general manager and chief financial officer of the GIC Re from October 2012.
- Alice belongs to 1983 batch of the direct recruit officers of general insurance industry
About GIC Re
- GIC Re is the 14th largest reinsurer globally and was founded in 22 November 1972
- The only reinsurance company in India
- Headquarter of GIC- Mumbai
Lava International promotes Navin Chawla to COO
Lava International ltd has promoted Navin Chawla as chief operating officer (COO) of the company. Lava is Mobile handset maker International Company. Lava International was established in the year 2003.
- He joined lava as the Head of sales
- Now after being the COO he will lead both the sales and Service operations of the company.
- Lava International also appoints Gaurav Nigam as the new Head of product.
- Headquarter of Lava –New Delhi
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
HCL Technologies acquires UK firm and Promoter group company
IT major HCL Technologies Ltd announced acquisition of UK’s Point to Point Ltd and Point to Point Products Ltd for Rs 78 crore.
- The company also fully acquired HCL Training and Staffing Services Private Ltd for Rs 35 crore to supplement its hiring of trained resources.
- Headquarter – Uttar Pradesh
- President & CEO – Anant Gupta
- Slogan – Relationship Beyond the Contract
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
AIR launches 24×7 classical music channel ‘Raagam’
On the occasion of 67th republic day Public Broadcaster All India Radio (AIR) launches a 24×7 classical music channel – “Raagam” from Bengaluru. The channel is launched by Prasar Bharati chairman.
- The Channel will be streamed through one of Direct to Home -DTH, All India Radio Mobile App for Windows, Android and iPhone (iOS) users and AIR website allindiaradio.gov.in.
- The channel will present classical music, Hindustani and Carnatic Classical Music, with assistance from all famous regional stations.
- Chairman of Prasar Bharati -Dr A Surya Prakash
Heena secures Olympic quota with gold medal
India’s top pistol shooter Heena Sidhu secured an Olympic quota for the country by clinching gold medal in women’s 10-m air pistol at the Asia Olympic Qualifiers for Shooting.
- Heena shot 199.4 ahead of Chinese Taipei’s Tien Chia Chen (198.1) and Gim Yun Mi (177.9) of Korea at the Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range, Delhi.
About Heena Sidhu:
- Sidhu is the Finals World record holder in 10 metre air pistol event with a final score of 203.8.
- She is a first Indian Pistol shooter to have won a Gold medal in the 2013 ISSF World Cup Finals -Pistol in 10 metre Air Pistol
- She is also the first Indian Pistol shooter to be Ranked World No.1.
- Heena is the first Indian shooter who has appeared on the ISSF magazine’s cover page.
Marvin Minsky, a mathematician, computer scientist and pioneer in the field of artificial intelligence (AI) died due to cerebral hemorrhage. He was 88.
American actor Abe Vigoda passes away
American actor Abe Vigoda known for roles in The Godfather and Barney Miller, passed away due to old age complications. He was 94.
- 1921 born Abraham Charles Vigoda has attended the Theater School of Dramatic Arts at Carnegie Hall, New York.
- He made acting appearances in very early television episodes of Suspense and Studio One in 1949.
- In 1965, he made his movie debut with Three Rooms in Manhattan
He got famous from the role of mobster Tessio in the Oscar-winning film The Godfather in 1972 and his role as cop Phil Fish in TV series Barney Miller in 1974.