After “Wings Rainbow” in Mumbai now Kerala is all set to launch to G-Taxi (Gender Taxi) which will be operated owned and operated by members of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) community. It is first of its kind in Kerala.
- Objective – To provide a better means for livelihood for the minority group and to ensure them non-discriminatory treatment in society.
- The initiative for G-taxi has been taken by state-run Gender Park, under the Department of Social Justice.
- Like the She-Taxi, G-Taxi cabs will also have advanced security features, including GPS.
G-Taxi is prepared on the lines of “equality taxi” in which all travellers, irrespective of their gender, can avail service. The first fleet of G-Taxi is expected to be out in March.
How G-Taxi will be beneficial for transgenders?
The concept of G-Taxi would bring significant changes in the life of TGs as people who avail the service of G-taxi can interact with them which will help change their mindset towards TGs.
- The project is expected to promote entrepreneurship among TGs which will provide them a better means for livelihood.
- The project will help them fetch not only a better income but also a good opportunity to mingle with the mainstream society.
As per the official figures there are 25,000 transgenders in Kerala.
- Capital – Thiruvananthapuram
- CM – Oommen Chandy
- Governor – P Sathasivam
- Thiruvananthapuram Nickname – Evergreen City of India