Director of the Kudankulam nuclear power plant (NPP) construction site, Ramayah Shanmuga Sundar has been conferred with “Order of Friendship” by Russia to recognize his contribution towards the implementation of the NPP Kudankulam project.
- In accordance with Intergovernmental agreement of 1988 between India and Russia, NPP Kudankulam project is currently under construction at Koodankulam in Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu.
- In 2014, both nations inked the General framework agreement for construction of the second phase of the NPP (third and fourth Units).
About Order of Friendship Award:
Established in 1994, Order of Friendship Award bestowed by the Russian Federation to reward foreign nationals whose work, deeds and efforts were aimed at the betterment of relations with the Russian Federation and its people.
- The badge of the Order of Friendship is made of gilded silver and enamels. It is a pentagonal star created from diverging golden rays.
- In the precedence of other Orders and medals of the Russia, the Order of Friendship is located immediately after the Order of Honour.
Other Indians conferred with this award:
- 2014 – A Sivathanu Pillai, a scientist who currently serves as Honorary Distinguished Professor at Indian Space Research Organisation and a Honorary Professor at IIT Delhi.
- 2000 – Mrinal Sen, he is an Indian filmmaker based in Kolkata.
About Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant:
Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant is a nuclear power station in Koodankulam in the Tirunelveli district of the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
- Establishment – October 2013
- Construction cost – $2.6 billion
- Owner – Nuclear Power Corporation of India