Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs February 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
In order to ensure greater interaction between troops stationed along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), India and China held their first joint tactical exercise (JET) codenamed “Sino-India Cooperation 2016”in the Chushul-Moldo, Jammu and Kashmir.
- This was the part of ongoing initiatives taken by India and China to ensure peace and tranquillity along the border.
- The Indian Army team of 30 personnel was led by Col. Ritesh Chandra Singh while the Chinese delegation was led by Col. Qu Yi.
- The exercise focused to jointly tackle aspects of Humanitarian Aid and Disaster Relief.
Between 1st to 7th February 2016, 245 villages have been electrified across the country under Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojna (DDUGJY).
- Out of these electrified villages, Assam is on the top with 82 villages followed by Odisha (77), Jharkhand (69), Chhattisgarh (13) and 2 each in Tripura and Madhya Pradesh.
Union Railway ministry has instigated the Personalised take away bedrolls scheme for Chennai Central Railway Station and Thiruvananthapuram Central Railway Station of Southern Railway.
- It has been announced by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu during an event held at East Tambaram Railway Colony Ground in Tambaram, Chennai.
The government India and global development agencies launch a programme to eliminate malaria in 11 years from the whole world.
- The malaria elimination program is framed under three categories which is decided by the number of cases annually occurred.
Indo-Nepal Battalion Level Combined Exercise Surya Kiran kicked off
The 9th Indo-Nepal Combined Battalion level Military Training Exercise Surya Kiran has been started off today at Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand. The 14 days military training exercise is under the aegis of Panchshul Brigade of Central Command.
- Nepalese Army would be training together and sharing their experiences of counter-terrorism operations and “jungle warfare” in hilly terrain.
The Surya Kiran series of exercises is a bi-annual event which is conducted alternatively in Nepal and India.
- The training also focus on humanitarian aid and disaster relief including medical and aviation support.
Maiden Initiative: NDRF trains 162 dogs for disaster response
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has raising a squad of 162 dogs for their specialised Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) tasks to succor its personnel in rescuing people after natural calamities.
- NDRF has undertaken an exercise to train special USAR dogs as they are the best companion of a rescuer during such challenges.
- This is the first time that dogs for disaster response are being trained on such a large scale indigenously.
A number of them have finished their regime and are being subjected to drills and field exercises where they are made to sniff out life in a collapsed concrete structure.
NaMo inaugurated IOC’s Paradip Oil Refinery
PM Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 15 million tonne per annum Indian Oil Corporation refinery at Paradip, Odisha.
- It is IOC’s 11th refinery that will be instigated with a capacity of 15 MMTPA.
- Refinery Cost – Rs 34,555 crore
Features of Paradip Oil Refinery:
- It has been designed to process broad basket of crude including dirty and cheaper high Sulphur heavy crudes from Latin America.
- Capable to produce Bharat Stage IV (BS IV)/BS V quality transportation fuel to comply with Auto Fuel Policy.
- Major products are premium grade high speed diesel (HSD) and motor spirit (MS).
- Major by products – Petroleum coke (petcoke) and Sulphur.
Rs 1 lakh crore disbursed under MUDRA Yojana: PM Narendra Modi
Under the Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had approved Rs 1 lakh crore loans to small entrepreneurs
- MUDRA Yojana was launched in April 2015.
- It aims to make youth to be job creators and not job seekers.
- Fund will be provided to youth to make them self sufficient.
- The loan is distributed among youth for their personal sector which will help them to utilize their skill and create new job opportunities.
India to hold Global Maritime Summit in April
India will host the first Global Maritime Summit in April the decision was announced in the International Fleet Review 2016 by the president of India.
- Global Maritimeis an independent offshore and engineering consultancy.
- The headquarter is in Stavanger, Norway.
- The company provides engineering, marine and advisory services to the offshore and shipping industry.
- India hosted the International Fleet Review was in the year 2001 in the city of Mumbai.
The United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA) had released a set of six dedicatory stamps on Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) issue. This is the first time the global body’s post office had released the stamps with an LGBT theme.
Objective :To promote awareness and global education about the equality of LGBT.
Zimbabwe’s Prez declared nation’s rural parts as state of disaster
President of Zimbabwe, Robert Mugabe has declared rural parts of the country as state of disaster after being hit by draught.
- This declaration of disaster will allow international donors to raise money quickly to provide food aid to the nation.
- Zimbabwe is importing maize from neighbouring Zambia.
An estimated 2.4 million people are now in need of food aid, more than a quarter of the population.
- Capital – Harare
- Currencies – United States Dollar, Euro, Botswana pula, Pound sterling, South African rand
- PM – Morgan Tsvangirai
- President – Robert Mugabe
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI cancels registration of 4 NBFCs
Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had cancelled the certificate of registration of 4 non-banking financial companies (NBFCs).
- The 4 NBFCs whose registration is cancelled are as follow Goyal Commercial Pvt Ltd Kolkata, First Debt Management Co. of India Ltd Nostalgia Finvest Private Limited and Narad Realtors Private Limited belongs to Mumbai.
- Now these four NBFCs cannot perform the business of a non-banking financial institution.
- The decision for the cancellation of registration certificate comes under Section 45-IA (6) of the RBI Act 1934.
Government imposes minimum import price on 173 steel items
The government imposed minimum import price (MIP) on 173 steel products ranging from $341 to $752 per ton.
- This is the government’s action to give relief to domestic steel producers against cheap in-bound shipments.
- The discussion will directly affect the price of raw materials and will suitably give cheap imported materials.
- The prices will remain low only for six months.
- These rules were not implemented on advance authorization scheme and high-grade pipes used in the petroleum and natural gas industry.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
The first machine harvestable chickpea variety, NBeG 47 has been released in Andhra Pradesh suitable for the state’s variable climate.
- The 2.25 tons of NbeG 47 took just 75 minutes for harvesting by the standard machinery as compared to erstwhile process of harvesting chickpea that takes three days.
- NbeG 47 was developed by Dr Veera Jayalakshmi, Principal Scientist (Chickpea Breeding) with a support from International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid-Tropics (ICRISAT).
Paper waste turned into non-toxic green Aerogel for first time
Paper waste is turned into the non toxic green Aerogel for the first time by the experts of the Singapore. Aerogel is non-toxic, ultra light, flexible, extremely strong and water repellent material in the world
- Aerogels can be used as oil spill cleaning, heat insulation as well as a packaging
- It can be used as coating materials for drug delivery and also as smart materials for various biomedical applications.
India’s first Aviation Park to come up in Gujarat
The state government had decided to set up the country’s first Aviation Park in Gujarat. The park will have an airstrip, training school, helipad and space for setting up small manufacturing units.
- The park aims to raise the awareness among students about the potential of the aviation sector.
- The park set up in Gujarat will also attract national and international industrial houses to set up their manufacturing facilities in this park
- CEO of GUJSAIL Captain Ajay Chauhan
Dr. Mahesh Sharma Launches 24×7 toll free Tourist Infoline in 12 International Languages
Dr. Mahesh Sharma launched the 24×7 Toll Free Tourist Infoline in 12 International Languages including Hindi and English. He is the Minister of State (I/C) for Tourism & Culture and Minister of State for Civil Aviation.
- This project will be implemented by the Ministry of Tourism.
- The languages that will handle the contact centres include ten International languages that are Arabic, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
India’s public research institutions, Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI) had releasedseven new varieties of field crops. These include wheat, rice, chickpea, pigeon pea and mustard.
Yasir Shah suspended for three months for breach of anti-doping code
Yasir Shah Pakistan leg-spinner had been banned for three months for breaching the International Cricket Council’s (ICCs) anti-doping code.
- He had temporarily suspended in late December because he had taken banned substance Cloraltidone, which was found in his body for a blood test during Pakistan’s 2nd One-Day International (ODI) against England.
- He breaks Article 2.1 of the ICC’s anti-doping code that deals with “the presence of Prohibited Substance in a Player’s body.
Singer-songwriter Dan Hicks passes away
Dan Hicks America’s singer-songwriter had passed away after a two-year long battle with throat and liver cancer.
- He was Born on December 9, 1949 in a military family
- He is popularly known for his traditional mix of folk, jazz and country music.
- He died in Mill Valley, California.
- He was known as the front man of the acoustic band Dan Hicks and Hot Licks.
- He worked as a drummer in the Little Rock-born, Bay Area-raised Hicks.
Army celebrates 68th ‘Nowshera Day’
The Indian Army celebrates 68th ‘Nowshera Day’ to honour the sacrifice of jawans who sacrifice their lives while fighting against Pakistani enemy at the border line town of Nowshera in 1947.
- The Day is celebrated as the day of ultimate sacrifice and fervent love of the army and the local people the area in the country.
- The celebration encourages the army jawans and boosts their moral.
- General officer commanding-in -Chief of Northern Command- Lt Gen D S Hooda