Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs April 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on a 3 nation tour to Belgium, United States and Saudi Arabia from March 30, 2016 to April 3, 21016.
- The 13th Summit between the European Union and India took place in Brussels on 30 March 2016.
- 2016 Nuclear Security Summit
- NaMo announced n – security plans in the US as a part of the Summit
- Indo – US MoU for LIGO project
- 5 MoUs were signed between India and Saudi Arabia
- NaMo Conferred with Saudi Arabia’s highest Civilian order
World’s first “White Tiger Safari” has been opened at Mukundpur in Satna district of Madhya Pradesh. It is situated in a state’s Vindhya region where the feline was first discovered more than 100 years ago.
(White tiger scientific name – Panthera tigris tigris)
- It is located adjacent to the straggled Mukundpur Zoo which is spread over 75 hectares.
- The Safari has been inaugurated by the Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan.
- The Safari is outlaid at a cost Rs 50 crore.
BANKING & FINANCE
German Government’s Development Bank KfW pledged to provide a loan assistance of EUR 500 million (about Rs.3,750 crore) for the modern and sustainable metro system for Nagpur city being executed by Metro Rail Corporation Limited.
- Nagpur Metro will be the first metro rail project in India to be financed under the Indo-German partnership for clean, socially inclusive and climate-friendly mobility.
- An agreement in this regard was signed today in New Delhi by the Department of Economic Affairs and KfW. Shri S.Selvaraj, Joint Secretary, Department of EconomicAffairs and Shri Roland Siller, Director General of KfW.
Maharashtra based Small-sized lender DCB Bank has started an Aadhaar-based ATM usage facility in which a customer can transact using his biometric details instead of the PIN. This is the first of its kind.
- The system is a comparatively inexpensive solution and the bank, which currently has 400 ATMs, is targeting to cover its entire network under the system within a year.
- This is the first ATM in the country which operates using the Aadhaar data. One can do a transaction without the card as well.
SBI makes it easy with ‘State Bank of India NO Queue’ app
India’s largest lender SBI, has launched State Bank of India NO Queue it is a virtual queuing mobile application that will help customers save on time.
- The application is a mobile-based virtual queuing application for customers to book an instant queue ticket for select services at select branches.
Features in the App:
- Based on the services selected, the list of branches with addresses providing those services within a configured radius of 15 kms will be populated in the application.
- Customers can view details such as expected waiting time at a given branch, the number of customers waiting and distance to the branch from the point of booking.
- Once the customer reaches the branch, he has to activate his Q-ticket and will be serviced immediately, thus avoiding waiting time at the branch.
Mining leases approved for Adani’s project in Australia
Gujarat based mining giant Adani won mining leases for controversy-hit USD 21.7 billion
billion Carmichael coal project in PremierAnnastaciaPalaszczuk,
- Adani secured three leases from the Queensland state government for the coal project which would be the largest in Australia.
- The approval by the Australian firm had undergone extensive government and community scrutiny” and was a step towards securing jobs for region, with more than 5,000 jobs expected to be generated during construction and more than 4,000 during operation.
Aadani Group of Companies:
Guatam Aadani founded Group is an Indian MNC Company headquartered in Ahmedabad. Its diversified businesses include resources, logistics, agri business and energy sectors.
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Central African Republic President names new Prime Minister
President, Faustin-Archange Touadera appoints his campaign director Simplice Sarandji as the Country’s new Prime Minister. Mr. Sarandji, 61 year old Professor will replace Mahamat Kamoun.
- Recently, Mr. Touadera, a former math professor and Prime Minister, took the oath of Office as new President.
- Capital of Central African Republic: Bangui
- Currency: Central African CFA franc
ACQUISITIONS & MERGERS
HCL Tech to buy Geometric in share swap deal
Noida based IT company HCL Technologies has signed an agreement to acquire all of the business of Geometric Limited.
- The deal does not include the 58 per cent stake that Geometric owns in the joint venture – 3DPLM Software Solutions also strengthens HCL’s presence significantly in the PLM consulting as well as mechanical and manufacturing engineering space.
- By this acquisition, HCL will issue 10 equity shares of ₹2 each to Geometric shareholders for every 43 equity shares of Geometric of ₹2 each held by them. In total, HCL will issue 15,640,546 equity shares of ₹2 each.
- The acquisition would take place through a scheme of arrangement which would be subject to the approval of the High Courts at Mumbai and Delhi in addition to the approval of the regulatory authorities.
Persistent acquires San Jose-based Genwi
Pune based Computer services firm Persistent Systems is all set to acquire US-based Genwi for an undisclosed amount, a move that will help the Indian IT firm strengthen its digital offering portfolio.
- The acquisition of San Jose-based Genwi by Persistent Systems further fortifies its leadership team with a focus on compelling experiences that are fundamental to the embrace of digital transformation.
Persistent Acquisitions in 2016:
- This is the third Acquisition this year after The Company acquired PRM Cloud Solutions it is a Salesforce consulting partner, and acquired Citrix Products Cloud Platform and Cloud Portal Business manager.
SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Veteran US astronaut Scott Kelly says goodbye to NASA
NASA astronaut Scott Kelly retired from the agency from April 1, However he will continue to participate in the ongoing research related to his one-year mission, providing periodic medical samples and supporting other testing.
Kelly’s Mission in ISS:
- Scott recently completed a 340-day mission aboard the International Space Station which happens to be the longest continuous stay in space by an American astronaut.
- Kelly says goodbye to his illustrious career with the U.S. record for most cumulative time in space 520 days
- He joined as astronaut corps in 1996 and flew in space four times. He graduated S. degree in Electrical Engineering from the State University of New York Maritime College
32nd editition of the mega tournament all men and women’s events Miami Open 2016 took place at the Tennis Center at Crandon Park in Florida, United States.
- Men’s Singles – Novak Djokovic
- Women’s Singles – Victoria Azarenka ( Belarus )
- Men’s Doubles – Pierre Hugues (France ) and Herbert Nicolas (France)
- Women’s Doubles – BethanieMattek-Sands ( USA ) and LucieŠafářová( Chezh Republic)
In the Fifth Edition of the Mega Tournament hosted by International Cricket Council West Indies Women’s Clinched their maiden Women’s World Twenty20 with a pulsating eight-wicket win over Australia at Eden Gardens in Kolkata.
- The Winning Team rode a blistering 120-run opening stand between Matthews (66) and Taylor (59) to triumph with three balls to spare.
- The Caribbean women’s had lost all of their eight previous T20 clashes against Australia and in their first final they made a feet at the Eden Gardens.
Medvedeva wins world title with record free skate score
Evgenia Medvedeva of Russiawins world title with record-setting free stake score by winning a world championship her compatriot Anna Pogorilaya, won bronze in the competition.
- The Russian teen capped a dominant debut season with a world title, earning 10 points to break Yuna Kim’s record from the 2010 Olympics.
- Medvedeva moved up from third after the short program to add to her Grand Prix Final and European titles.
- EvgeniaMedvedeva of Russia wins gold.
- Ashley Wagner of USA wins silver.
- Anna Pogorilaya of Russia wins bronze.
Actor Larry Drake died from rare cancer
Actor Larry Drake, 66-year-old actor, who played Benny Stulwicz in the long-running TV legal drama, died last month and now his official cause of death has been revealed.
- He died due to a rare form of cancer related to an overproduction of red blood cells in the bone marrow.