Prime Minister Narendra Modi was on a 3 nation tour to Belgium, United States and Saudi Arabia from March 30, 2016 to April 3, 21016.
VISIT TO BELGIUM
In the first part of tour he visited Brussels, the capital of Belgium to restart and expedite talks on a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty and an extradition treaty to fight terrorism.
Invitation to Belgian Companies -There he invited the Belgian government and companies to take part in India’s ambitious projects, including Digital India, Start Up India and Skill India.
The 13th Summit between the European Union and India took place in Brussels on 30 March 2016.
Key Participants – Mr Jean-Claude Juncker (President of the European Commission), Mr Donald Tusk, (President of the European Council) and Mr Narendra Modi.
Key Highlights of Summit:
- The summit has endorsed the “EU-India Agenda for Action 2020” as a common road map for the strategic partnership in the next five years.
- New resolve to work together to reduce tensions in the geographic neighbourhood through dialogue and coordination.
- A ministerial conference to be held in Brussels and Heart of Asia Conference to be held in New Delhi later this year will focus international efforts to bring peace and development.
- The numerous initiatives launched grouped into a broad categories viz. economic cooperation, sustainable development, research and education.
VISIT TO USA
As a second part of his tour, he arrived Washington on March 31st, to attend the two-day Nuclear Security Summit (NSS).
2016 Nuclear Security Summit
It was held in Washington, D.C. This was the fourth edition of the conference. It is an initiative of President Barack Obama to coordinate international efforts to prevent terror organizations from acquiring nuclear weapons or material.
- This is the last summit under President Barack Obama’s Presidency.
Participants – Leaders from more than 50 countries and 4 international organizations – European Union, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Interpol and UN.
- PM Modi presented the national progress report outlining the measures being taken by New Delhi for strengthening nuclear security and safety of nuclear technologies and devices.
NaMo announced n – security plans in the US as a part of the Summit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced several key initiatives taken in the area of nuclear security and non-proliferation. It includes the following:
- Countering nuclear smuggling and deployment of technology to deter nuclear terrorism.
- Strengthening of national detection architecture for nuclear and radioactive material.
- Dedicated counter-nuclear smuggling team has been set up.
- India will support the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) by a further contribution of USD 1 million to the nuclear security fund.
- A workshop with IAEA experts on International Physical Protection Assessment Service (IPPAS) will be held in India.
- India will host a meeting of the Global Initiative to Combat Nuclear Terrorism in 2017.
Indo – US MoU for LIGO project
India and the US on inked MoU for setting up a new Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) in India that will act as catalyst in the research of various aspects of gravitational wave astronomy.
VISIT TO SAUDI ARABIA
As a third part of his tour, he arrived in Saudi Arabia. This is the first prime ministerial visit to the oil-rich Gulf kingdom after former PM Manmohan Singh in 2010. He held talks on bilateral, regional and global issues of mutual interest with the Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.
- PM Modi interacted with Saudi women IT professionals at the first of its kind all women TCS training center in Riyadh. TCS established the first all women Business Process Services (BPS) centre in Riyadh in 2013.
5 MoUs were signed between India and Saudi Arabia
- Labour Co-operation – It was signed for Recruitment of General Category Workers.
- Technical Cooperation Program – It was signed between the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) and the Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO).
- Executive Program for Cooperation in the Field of Handicrafts – Signed b/w Export Promotion Council for Handicraft (EPCH) of India and Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage.
- Cooperation in the Exchange of Intelligence – Signed between Financial Intelligence Unit of both nations to cooperate on concerns related to Money Laundering, Terrorism Financing and Related Crimes.
- Framework for Investment Promotion Cooperation – Signed between Invest India and the Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA).
NaMo Conferred with Saudi Arabia’s highest Civilian order
Prime Minister Narendra Modi was bestowed with Saudi Arabia’s highest civilian order award dubbed King Abdulaziz Sash. The honour was named after Abdulaziz Al Saud, the founder of the modern Saudi state.
- The honour was presented by King Salman bin Abdulaziz at the Royal Court where they held extensive talks on a range of bilateral, regional and international issues.
On April 4, 2016, PM Modi arrives in India after concluding his three-nation tour.
- Belgium Capital – Brussels
- Belgium Currency – Euro
- Belgium PM – Charles Michel
- USA Capital – Washington, D.C.
- USA Currency – US Dollar
- USA President – Barack Obama
- Saudi Arabia Capital – Riyadh
- Saudi Arabia Currency – Saudi riyal