Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Try our Current Affairs Quiz 2016
- Try Our Current Affairs April 2016 Quiz
- Read our Current Affairs Today
- Read Our Current Affairs 2016
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi to inaugurate the three-day 3rd Edition of Asia Ministerial Conference on Tiger Conservation in New Delhi.
- More than 700 tiger experts, scientists, managers, donors and other stakeholders are gathering to discuss issues related to tiger conservation.
- Ministers and government officials from all Tiger Range Countriesare participating in the conference.
India, US ‘agree in principle’ on sharing military logistics
India and the United States have agreed in principle to share military logistics. Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar announced this agreement at a joint press conference with US Defense secretary Ashton Carter.
- According to Mr. Parrikar, the growing interaction between armed forces of the two countries is a “significant aspect of bilateral relationship”. India has more joint exercises with the US than any other country in the world.
- The details of the logistic support will be decided by the two governments.
Shan-E-Punjab Express Becomes the First Train Fitted with CCTV Surveillance Cameras.
Union Railway Minister, Suresh Prabhu inaugurates fitment of CCTV in Shan-E-Punjab Express (Amritstar-New Delhi) through Video-Conferencing. CCTV Surveillance Cameras installation is a one more step towards improving security in Indian Trains.
- The installation of surveillance systems was done through Ms/ A-Paul Instrument Company at an approximate cost of 36.71 lakh.
- CCTV system includes 4 to 6 Cameras per coach with Digital Video Recorder (DVR)
- The System shall facilitate facial recognition for unambiguous identification of the target parson by giving resolution images, enable facial recognition in low light condition especially in aisle area during night time.
J&K govt announces Mufti Sayeed Food Entitlement Scheme
Jammu & Kashmir cabinet in its maiden meeting under the Chief Ministership of Mehbooba Mufti announced to launch Mufti Mohammad Sayeed Food Entitlement Scheme (MMSFES) to supplement the National Food Security Act (NFSA)from July 1, 2016.
- Under this scheme, all those persons who are covered under the State’s public distribution system will get additional 5 kgs of ration per person in addition to 5 kgs of ration they are entitled to get under NFSA.
- The new scheme would be uniform scale of rations for all areas and food preferences of consumers would be taken care of and instead of wheat 75 percent population would get Atta.
UNICEF signs MoU with GITAM
New York based United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) and Visakhapatnam based GITAM University signed a MoU to empower the adolescents 10-19 years and address the adolescent issues in the district.
- The four districts in India to deal with adolescent issues. The other districts are
- Visakhapatnam in Andrapradesh.
- Purulia in West Bengal
- Sibsahar in Assam
- EastSinghbum in Jharkhand.
- The Visakhapatnam was chosen as it has a high incidence of child marriages about 57.4 per cent and a significant size of tribal population.
- The UNICEF had also planned to launch user friendly mobile application exclusively for adolescents to share their thoughts on issues ranging from their health to career to protection issues-via text, pictures or even video clips.
- HQ: New York
- CEO: Anthony Lake
India’s Maharajas’ Express has been ranked among the top rated trains in the world, while The Plaza New York was rated among the best hotels for the super-rich, says a survey.
- The Maharajas’ Express’ train has redefined the luxury travel experience by offering guests the opportunity to explore fabled destinations providing a glimpse of rich cultural heritage of Incredible India
BANKING & FINANCE
Gopal Vittal led Bharti Airtel’s payments bank venture Airtel M Commerce Services Ltd has become the first entity to receive final approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to start a payments bank.
- Delhi based Bharti Airtel will set up the payments bank in partnership with Kotak Mahindra Bank, which holds 9% stake in Airtel M Commerce, a subsidiary of Bharti Airtel.
- Reserve Bank’s in-principle approval was valid for 18 months, during that time RBI had asked applicants to comply with the licensing norms.
Government exempts housing finance cos from XBRL filings
The Corporate Affair Ministry has exempted housing finance companies from filing financial statements in XBRL format. Banking, insurance, power sector and non-banking finance companies are already exempted.
- XBRL is a data-rich dialect of XML (Extensible Markup Language), the universally preferred language for transmitting information via the Internet, as per the ministry’s website.
- It was developed mainly to communicate between businesses and other users of financial information, such as analysts, investors and regulators.
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
Bollywood star Actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has won the ‘Global Indian of the Year’ award, she washonoured at NRI of the Year award function held in Mumbai.
- She dedicated the award to her daughter Aaradhya.t continues
- Eminent tennis player Sania Mirza honoured at the NRI of the Year Award 2016 where she was conferred with the Global Indian Icon of the year award.
Ex-army chief JJ Singh gets highest French civilian honour
Former army chief Gen. (retd) JJ Singh was conferred with the highest French civilian distinction, Officer of the Legion of Honour by French Ambassador to India, Francois Richier.
- Singh was chosen for the honour in recognition of his “stellar role” in modernising the Indian Army and initiating robust exchanges between the Indian and French armies .
- Capital: Paris
- Currency: Euro
- PM: Manuel Valls
APPOINTMENTS & RESIGNS
Kyrgyzstan Prime Minister Temir Sariyev resigns
Kyrgyzstan Prime Minister Temir Sariyev resigned after a parliamentary commission accused his cabinet of corruption.
- A commission set up by the ex-Soviet republic’s parliament revealed that the government had broken the law, accusing it of having rigged a $100 million road construction tender to a Chinese firm that lacked the required license.
- Capital of Kyrgystan: Bishkek
- Currency: Kyrgyzstani som
- President: Almazbek Atambayev
Hemant Kumar Ruia appointed CFO of Indus Towers
Indus Towers has appointed Hemant Kumar Ruia as the Chief Financial Officer
- He is currently working as the CFO of Reliance Retail.
- Ruia started his career with Larsen & Tourbo and has since then worked with ICI India Ltd and Reckitt Benkiser India, before moving to Agro Tech Food Ltd (subsidiary of ConAgra Foods Incorporated) where he was the CFO for over seven years.
About Indus Tower:
- Indus Tower is the country’s largest telecom tower company.It was Incorporated in November 2007
- Indus Towers Limited has been promoted under a joint venture between entities of Bharti Group including Bharti Infratel Limited ,Vodafone India and Aditya Birla Telecom to render passive infrastructure services to telecom service providers.
- CEO of Indus Towers: Bimal Dayal
Maharashtra’s IPS officer Meeran Borwankar appointed DG of BPR&D
An IPS officer from the Maharashtra cadre Meeran Borwankar has been appointed as the head of the Bureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D) and Yellapantula Mallikarjun has been appointed as Officer on Special Duty to Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu.
- A statements was issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs .
About BPR & D:
- TheBureau of Police Research and Development (BPR&D), was set up on 28 August 1970 in furtherance of the objective of the Government of India for the modernisation of police forces.
- The Parent Agency of BPR & D is Ministry of Home Affairs
- HQ: New Delhi
LAVA International Announces MS Dhoni As Its Brand Ambassador
Indian cricket legend MS Dhoni was elected as a brand ambassador of local handset maker Lava International.
- MS Dhoni will be the new face of Lava’s multi-channel marketing campaign as well as brand engagement activities of LAVA
LAVA International :
- Lava International Limited, founded in 2009
- It achieved revenues of $1.2 billion (over Rs 8,000 crore) in FY 2014-15, registering more than 100% growth over FY 2013-14.
MS Dhoni is Brand ambassador of following brands – Titan, GE money, Pepsi, Aircel, Cello, Reebok, Orient Fans and Revital H
Ravindran takes charge as new KVGB Chairman
Dharwad based regional rural bank Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB) appointed S. Ravindran as the new Chairman .
- He was heading the Mumbai region of Syndicate Bank before joining KVGB.
- KVGB was constituted on 12 September 2005 after amalgamation of four Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) namely Malaprabha Grameena Bank, Bijapur Grameena Bank, Varada Grameena Bank and Netravathi Grameena Banks as per recommendations of the Narasimhan Committee.
- At present KVGB has business of more than 20,600 crore with a branch network of 611.
World’s longest-ever captured python dies in Malaysia
A giant python weighing 250 kg found on a Malaysian building site. This longest ever captured python died after giving the birth.
- According to, Guinness World Records, the current record for longest snake ever caught is 7.67m. But the spotted python was eight-metre
- Current Record: Medusa, a reticulated python weighing 158kg, is kept at a haunted house in Kansas City in the U.S. state of Missouri.
WTA rankings: Serena Williams retains top spot, Angelique Kerber slips to third spot
Serena Williams remains on top position with 8, 625 points and maintained her number one spot, German Angelique Kerber has slipped to the third in the latest women`s tennis world rankings issued by the WTA.
- In the women’s doubles, India’s Sania Mirza and her Swiss partner Martina Hingis retained their top position in the rankings with 11,825 points.
The current WTA top seeds are
|Serena Williams (USA)
|Martina Hingis (Swiss)
|Angelique Kerber (GER)
|BethanieMattek- Sands (US)
|Victoria Azarenka (BLR)
|Lucie Safarova (CZR)
Chawrasia wins Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of Month
S.P. Chawrasia of India was honoured with the Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of the Month for March, to his performance at the Hero Indian Open. He is the second Indian to win the Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of the Month award.
- The Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of the Month award is one of the partnership initiatives aimed at recognizing outstanding efforts of Asian Tour members both at home and abroad.
- Chawrasia won the award ahead of Thailand’s Kiradech Aphibarnrat and Scott Hend of Australia where the trio were nominated by a selection panel before going into a voting process.
- His superb display of golf in his National Open last month to win his third title on the Asian Tour by defeating 2015 Hilton Asian Tour Golfer of the Year AnirbanLahiri and South Korean rising star Jeunghun Wang by two shots.
Indian Teams Clinch Asian Kho Kho Championship Title
India’s men’s and women’s teams have each won their respective titles at the Third edition of khokho championships in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
- In both the finals, the hosts scored victory against Bangladesh teams.AniketPote emerged as the match winner as he scored five points,won the match winner award.
- Women’s team captain Sarika Kale won the women’s match-winner title, while counterpart AniketPote won the men’s prize; each player was awarded 51,000, with LokSabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan and Union Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar felicitating winners at the event.
India’s first woman biker Veenu Paliwal passes away
Veenu Paliwal, India’s top woman biker died in a road accident.
- The 44-year-old Jaipur resident died when her bike skid off a road near Gyaraspur, 100 kilometers from state capital Bhopal.
- She was also known as “Lady of the Harley”. She was on a motorcycle trip from Kashmir to Kanyakumari with her companion Dipesh Tanwar, when the mishap happened.
International Day of Human Space Flight
The International Day of Human Space Flight observed every year on April 12.The day remembers the first human space flight on April 12, 1961.
Aim: To promote aspirations to explore and maintain outer space for peaceful purposes.
- The first human space flight, carried out by Yuri Gagarin
- Gagarin circled the Earth for 1 hour and 48 minutes aboard the Vostok 1