The Prime Minister Narendra Modi to inaugurate the three-day 3rd Edition of Asia Ministerial Conference on Tiger Conservation in New Delhi.
- More than 700 tiger experts, scientists, managers, donors and other stakeholders are gathering to discuss issues related to tiger conservation.
- Ministers and government officials from all Tiger Range Countriesare participating in the conference.
- While several Tiger Range Countries like India, Nepal, Russia and Bhutan have registered an increase in tiger population, the status of Tiger remains endangered. Tiger population has decimated to non-viable level in some range countries, which is a cause for concern.
The Government has allotted 380.00 crore to the Project Tiger in the current fiscal year, which is an all-time high and indicates that the Government of India is committed to the conservation of our national animal, Tiger.
Tiger reserves of India:
- Totally 48 tiger reserves are there in India which are governed by Project Tiger which is administered by the National Tiger Conservation Authority.
- Indiais home to 70 percent of tigers in the world. In 2006, there were 1,411 tigers which increased to 1,706 in 2011 and 2,226 in 2014.
- The current tiger population isa fraction of the 45,000 that roamed India a century ago.
- Cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar and Amitabh Bachchan were appointed as the Maharashtra government’s brand ambassador for its ambitious the Tiger Conservation Project last year.