Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Suresh Prabhu Launches Indian Railway Knowledge Portal
As a part of ‘Digital India’, a knowledge portal for detailed information on Indian Railways was launched by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu.
- It is accessible at www.kportal.indianrailways.gov.in
- It is an initiative of the National Academy of Indian Railways (NAIR), Vadodara.
“ONE STOP” HUB
- It includes subjects of Indian Railways, Railway Research and Development, use of ICT in Indian Railways, listing of major International Railway Journals, linking of existing Indian Railway Libraries and also World Railways in one web page.
- It has e-access to existing libraries of Railways, and all the libraries have a single interface through e-Granthalaya by NIC.
- It also gives a brief of all the social media activities of the Indian Railway sites.
India inks deal to launch 23 foreign satellites
India has signed an agreement to launch 23 foreign satellites as per Antrix Cooperation which is the commercial arm of ISRO.
- From 23 satellites 2 will go in two separate rockets. The remaining 21 satellites will be loaded on bigger Indian satellite.
- ISRO will soon launch 6 Singapore satellites weighing a total of around 660 kg.
– The bigger satellite is an earth observation satellite having weight of 410 kg.
– Two are micro-satellites having weight of 130 kg and 80 kg respectively.
– The rest three are nano-satellites which together weighing 30 kg.
- Antrix Corporation had signed pact with US parties to launch 9 small satellites, of which four were launched with ASTROSAT and rest will also launch by ISRO before 2016.
- SAARC satellite will be a two-tonne satellite with 12 transponders and it will be launched by the end of 2016.
Meghalaya Governer given additional charge of Manipur
V Shanmuganathan, Meghalaya Governor, has been given an additional charge of Manipur after the death of Syed Ahmed Khan appointed by President of India Shri Pranab Mukherjee.
- 64-year-old Shanmuganathan was an RSS worker before joining BJP in 2003, was appointed as Governor of Meghalaya in May 2015.
- Ahmed was appointed as the Governor of Manipur on May 16, 2015. He was a former Congress leader from Maharashtra, Ahmed was shifted to the north-eastern State from Jharkhand, where he was hold the post of Governor from August 2011.
Tamil Nadu launched Amma Mobile Phone Scheme
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa announced an “Amma mobile phone scheme” to help women Self-Help Group (SHG) trainers supervise work as a part of “Amma” brand.
Before this launch the welfare initiated Amma brand already launched
- Amma Canteens – Offers low cost food
- Amma Mineral Water – Costs Rs10/per bottle
- Amma Pharmacies – Medicines are sold at lower rate
OUTLAY – Rs 15 crore
Under this scheme computerised mobile phones loaded with special Tamil software will be provided to 20,000 self-help group (SHG) trainers in the first phase.
- SHG was created by Tamil Nadu government in 1991 for the social and economic empowerment of women and eradication of poverty.
Tendulkar lends voice to Swachh Bharat anthem
Under a Government initiative to make the “Clean India” campaign a public movement, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar has lent his voice to Swachh Bharat anthem. He recited few lines that will feature in the anthem.
- The anthem song written by lyricist Prasoon Joshi
- Composer – Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy
- Singer – Shankar Mahadevan
- Release Date – October 2 which will mark one year of the launch of Swachh Bharat campaign on Mahatma Gandhi’s birth anniversary.
Celebrities have joined hands to create a Swachh Bharat anthem which aimed at enthusing and inspiring citizens to come together by realising the collective dream of a “clean India”.
AYUSH services becomes operational in Dubai
India has set up Department of Ayush in Dubai as Indian Consulate which will provide free consultation to the public. It will come in effect from November 6, 2015.(Minister of Health and Family Welfare – Jagat Prakash Nadda)
Under this initiative
- Ayurvedic doctors will be available on all Sundays and Wednesdays between 10am – 12 noon for providing free consultation to the public.
- Homoeopathic practitioner will also be giving free consultation every Tuesday but no medicines will be dispensed.
- It Created in March 1995 as the Department of Indian Systems of Medicine and Homoeopathy (ISM&H) and was named AYUSH in March 2003 which means ‘Long-life’
- The Department of AYUSH is aimed to developing education and research in Ayurveda (Indian traditional medicine), Yoga, Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, and Homoeopathy, and other medicine systems.
Banking & Finance
FMC merged with SEBI
Forward Markets Commission (FMC) is now fully covered by the capital market regulator SEBI after the merger. It is first ever merger of two regulatory bodies.
- Merging of SEBI and the FMC was decided by the Congress in the Union Budget of 2014-15
- SEBI was set up in 1988 as a non-statutory body for regulating the securities markets. It became an autonomous body in 1992 with fully independent powers.
- FMC was a regulator for commodities markets since 1953 but due to lack of powers it led to alleged irregularities and speculative illegal activities like ‘dabba trading’ and these became the part of this segment.
– Also the NSEL (National Spot Exchange Ltd) scam let down this market with money crisis of Rs 5000 crores.
Reliance, EDIC sign pact to manufacture defence equipment
Anil Ambani-led Reliance Defence Ltd has signed a pact with UAE’s Emirates Defence Industries Company (EDIC) to work together in the defence sector in maintenance, repair and overhaul category.
- They agreed to manufacturing and building capabilities in defence vehicles, aviation and associated areas, defence equipment and armament manufacturing, defence electronics, commercial and naval ships besides Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) of military equipment and platforms.
- Reliance Defence Limited (RDL) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure Limited (RIL) and has 11 subsidiaries in niche segments of the sector.
- EDIC is the premier integrated national defence services and manufacturing platform from the UAE.
This partnership is in accordance with the proposed facilities at the Dhirubhai Ambani Aerospace Park at Mihan in Maharashtra.
SASTRA Ramanujan Prize 2015 for Dr. Jacob Tsimerman
Mathematician Jacob Tsimerman, who is working as assistant professor with University of Toronto, Canada was conferred with SASTRA Ramanujan Prize 2015.
He will be getting this award during the International Conference on Number Theory at SASTRA University in Kumbakonam, Tamil Nadu which is Ramanujan’s hometown.
ABOUT SASTRA RAMANUJAN PRIZE
- It was established in 2005 by Shanmugha Arts, Science, Technology & Research Academy (SASTRA) University in Kumbakonam, India.
- It is awarded annually for outstanding contributions by young mathematicians to areas influenced by the mathematics genius Srinivasa Ramanujan.
- The age limit for the prize is 32.
- Prize money – $10,000
Science & Technology
Renowned poet Viren Dangwal passes away in Bareilly
Renowned Hindi poet and Sahitya Academy awardee Viren Dangwal died in Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh after a long illness. He was 68.
- He who was successful journalist
- He was also a professor of Hindi
- He was also associated with the editorial board of Hindi daily Amarujjala group and taught Hindi at Bareli College from 1974 to 2010.
- His famous write up was “Kavi Ne kaha” and “Dushchakra me Shrista” bagged the Sahitya Academy award in 2004 andShamsher Samman in 2002.
- In 1992, he got the Raghuveer Sahay Smriti Award for his poem Duniya.
- In 1993, he received Srikant Verma Smriti Award.