Naval warship INS Kochi, the stealth guided missile destroyers, was commissioned by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai.
INS Kochi is the second ship of the Kolkata-class (Project 15A) Guided Missile Destroyers.The contract for three ships of Kolkata class was signed as a follow-on of the legendary Delhi-class Destroyers, which were commissioned into the Navy more than a decade ago.
- It is the largerst warship of India.
- It is built by Mazagon Dock Limited.
FEATURES OF INS KOCHI
|Speed||In excess of 30 knots or 56 km/h|
The ship is loaded with
- Missiles: long-range BrahMos surface-to- surface missile.
- Guns: HUMSA Sonar Dome, 76 mm Super Rapid Gun Mount (SRGM), AK-630 CIWS (Close In Weapon System (CIWS)
- Anti-submarine warfare: Indigenous Rocket Launchers (IRL), Indigenous Twin-tube Torpedo Launchers (ITTL)
- Aircraft carried: 2 Sea King or Chetak helicopters.
The first of this class is INS Kolkata which was commissioned in August 2014 while the third INS Chennai is expected to be part of Indian navy by end of 2016.
AffairsCloud Recommends Oliveboard Mock Test
AffairsCloud Ebook - Support Us to Grow
Govt Jobs by Category
Bank Jobs Notification