Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
Green Indian Mission plans approved for 4 states
Ministry of Environment and forest has approved Perspective Plans (PP) and Annual Plan of Operations (APOs) for Kerala, Mizoram, Manipur and Jharkhand as a part of Green India Mission (GIM) during National Executive Council (NEC) chaired by Union Environment Secretary Ashok Lavasa in New Delhi.
(Union Minister of State for Environment and Forest – Prakash Javadekar)
- OUTLAY – Rs. 90,202.68 lakh
- APOs – Rs. 11,195.32 lakh for 2015-16
- TIME DURATION – 5-10 years
- AREA – Total area will be 1, 08,335 hectares (forest and non-forest) out of which 81,939 hectares will be under density improvement in existing forests and 16, 396 hectares will be new areas.
GIM is initiated by National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) to protect restore and enhance India’s diminishing forest cover and to take adequate measure to tackle with the issue of climate change.
National Minimum Wage Act to be launched soon
Union cabinet will soon launch the National Minimum Wage Act which is mandatory to be implemented by all state governments.
(Union Labour Minister – Narendra Singh Tomar)
- Minimum wages will be fixed by the State governments
- Currently the Minimum wage base is Rs160 which was increased from Rs 137
- Centre is also planning to reform the Labour laws by amalgamating four wage Acts (Minimum Wages Act 1948, the payment of wages Act 1936, Payment of bonus act 1965 and equal remuneration Act 1975) into the Labour code on Wages
- In case of a lock-out in a factory there is proposal to increase the wages of the labourers from 15 days to 45 days.
Indian diaspora launched ‘Modi Express’ bus
Ahead of NaMo’s visit to UK Indian fraternity launched “Modi express bus” that will take the travellers on a tour around iconic landmarks.
- The first stop of bus is at Ealing Road, Wembley also known as “Little India” followed by Trafalgar Square to celebrate Diwali.
- 400 community organisations have registered as ‘welcome partners’ of an Olympics style reception planned for Modi at Wembley Stadium on November 13, 2015.
Australia to return 2000 year old Buddha idol to India
On the sidelines of Germany returning Durga idol now Australia has agreed to return the 2,000-year-old Sitting Buddha sculpture back to India.
(Minister of Culture – Mahesh Sharma)
- Buddha idol is currently retain with the national art gallery in Canberra, Australia and is expecting that the genesis of it could be found in Mathura in Uttar Pradesh.
- The sculpture made of sandstone is an image which portrays unique art of Mathura region.
Mahatma Gandhi Street inaugurated in Amman by President
During his visit to Jordan President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated a Mahatma Gandhi street in Amman, the capital city of Jordan.
A part of the Saddzagloul Street has been named the Mahatma Gandhi Street which after two intersections retains its old name which honours the Egyptian movement leader.
- Peace Park reflects the similarities between two nations as the two freedom fighters late King Abdullah I and Mahatma Gandhi struggled in a peaceful manner to gain independence. Jordan attained its independence on May 25, 1946, a year before India.
- Shri Pranab Mukherjee was presented with golden key of Amman commemorating his historic visit and as a token of friendship.
- President also planted an olive tree in the Peace Park in Amman.
NASA launches Earth’s first miniature satellite CubeSat
On 12th October 2015 World’s first miniature satellite OCSD CubeSat spacecraft was launched aboard an Atlas V rocket from the Vandenberg Air Force Base In California.
- A group of six mini satellites are there in OCSD spacecraft which helps in the areas of research,technology demonstration and educational programmes.
- CubeSats are managed by NASA .
- CubeSat deployment that is scheduled to take place in February 2016 by NASA .
OCSD – Optical Communications and Sensor Demonstration
BANKING AND FINANCE
India signs Rs 105 cr deal for 194 micro-light planes with Slovenian firm Pipistrel
On 12th October 2015 a contract was signed between India and Slovenian firm for 194 micro light aircraft to be used by Indian Air Force,the Navy and the NCC.
- Indian version of the aircraft is known as Garur.
The aircraft is made up of advanced carbon fibre material, it is capable of carrying two crew members and their equipment.
The total cost of the contract is Rs 105.5 crore.
RBI – Bank of Botswana MoU on info exchange
Central bank of India RBI has inked pact with Bank of Botswana agreed for Supervisory Cooperation and Exchange of Supervisory Information.
MoU was signed by Andrew M Motsomi (Director of Banking Supervision Dept. at Bank of Botswana) and Parvathy V Sundaram (Chief GM-in-Charge, Banking Supervision Dept. of RBI)
- In 1977 Bank of Botswana established as the government bank and central bank of the nation
- Headquarters – Gaborone, BotswanaTill now RBI has signed 28 MoU, one Letter for Supervisory Co-operation and one Statement of Co-operation.
IBM sets up data centre in Chennai
To serve the rising demand of Govt sector and financial services Tech giant IBM is going to instigate its cloud data centre in Chennai with an estimating outlay of $1.2 billion. It will be the IBM’s 42nd data centre globally but first in India.
- “Works Premium” and “cloud certification programme” – These are the two initiatives launches by IBM to improve the skills of developers and to enable them with tools so to match pace in global market.
- To grow the cloud market IBM has joined hands with National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) to launch Techstartup.in a digital hub wherein the entire Indian startup ecosystem can interact with each other.
Nippon Life acquired additional 14% stake in RCAM
Indian mutual fund industry is boosted up when the world’s largest life insurers company Nippon Life has increased its stake in Reliance Capital Asset Management (RCAM) to 49% from 35%.
- Osaka, Japan headquartered Nippon life is investing Rs.1196 crore for additional 14% stake.
- This investment raised the total valuation of RCAM at approximately Rs. 5,600 crore ($920 million).
- This is the largest foreign investment in the mutual fund industry in India.
- This Japanese insurer also has a holding of 26% in Reliance Life Insurance.
KMB launched its without internet Kotak Bharat app
As a part of digital banking Mumbai headquartered Kotak Mahindra Bank has launched the Kotak Bharat app in Kannada that requires no Internet connectivity and also enables customers to manage their savings accounts, current accounts and credit cards.
With this KMB becomes the first Indian Bank to enable customers to do cashless transactions by transfer up to Rs. 2,500 per day and at a time.
- Transactions will be initiated from customer’s registered mobile number and its easy to choose and totally secure.
- After the transaction the customer will get the confirmation message.
- App is currently available in Hindi, English, Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil and Kannada and will soon be released in other Indian languages.
Tech record set – Dell to acquire EMC for $67bn
PC maker Dell is going to acquire cloud data storage EMC Corporation for about $67 billion in cash-and-stock deal. It is the biggest deal in tech industry.
As per the terms and conditions in agreement EMC shareholders will receive $24.05 per share in cash from Dell.
- Currently Dell is a stagnant player in the PC market but this deal will not only diversify its present market but also enables it to match pace with cloud-based data services, the fastest growing market.
- Dell headquarter – Texas US
- Dell Chairman, CEO and Founder – Michael Dell
Filmmaker I V Sasi bagged J C Daniel award
Kerala Govt has honoured filmmaker I V Sasi (Irruppam Veedu Sasidaran) with its J C Daniel award for his contributions Malayalam Cinem
- Mr. Sasi has directed 150 films in different languages.
- In 1982 I V Sasi was honoured with National Film Award
- The award consists of Rs one lakh and a citation
- This award has conferred annually by the Govt of Kerala to appreciate outstanding achievements and contributions to Malayalam cinema
ISO 9001:2008 Certificate bagged by Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has acquired ISO 9001:2008 certificate from the CMD of Indian Register Quality Systems (IRQS) for monitoring, planning, development and maintenance of highway Infrastructure and road transport throughout the country. With this certification Ministry of Road Transport and Highways becomes the first largest ministry to achieve this distinction.
- The ISO certificate will be applicable to all wings of the Road Transport and Highways ministry at headquarter in New Delhi.
- This achievement is backed by decentralised power structure and transparent decision making process.
- International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) is an internationally recognised and preferred quality management system. ISO 9001:2008 was implemented in 2012-13.
Dr Shanthi Ranganathan received Avvaiyaar Award from TN Govt
Tamil Nadu government has bestowed Dr Shanthi Ranganathan with “Avvaiyaar Award 2015” for recognising her 33 years of contribution in rehabilitating persons addicted to alcohol and helping their families.
The award was presented by TN CM J Jayalalithaa and was consisted of cash reward of Rs one lakh, 8 gm gold medal and a certificate.
- Dr Shanthi Ranganathan is a Padmashri recipient.
- She is also serving as the Secretary of TT Ranganathan Medical Research Centre, TTK Hospital and Swami Dayananda Saraswathi Educational Society.
- The award was constituted in 2012 by the government of Tamil Nadu on the occasion of International Women’s Day to appreciate women contribution in the areas of social
Vikram Gokhale to receive Vishnudas Bhave Award
Vishnudas Bhave Award Winner – Noted marathi Actor
The award will be given on 5th November 2015 on the eve of Marathi Rangbhumi Din
Honoured for : His outstanding contribution to Marathi theatre
Barclays to appoint JP Morgan’s investment banker Jes Staley as CEO
London, United Kingdom headquartered Barclays bank is going to designate former JPMorgan banker Jes Staley (58) as its new CEO as a succeedor of Antony Jenkins.
(Barclays Chairman – John McFarlane)
- Jes Staley served JPMorgan’s investment bank and asset management business as its CEO for 34 years.
- In 2013 he left JP Morgan and joined BlueMountain.
- This year Mr. Staley joined board of UBS but he have to give up this position to take the chair of CEO in Barclays.
- The appointment is expected to be announced in two weeks.
Reliance Power appoints N Venugopala Rao as CEO
CEO of Reliance Power – N Venugopala Rao(CEO of Sasan Power Ltd) on 13th October 2015
P S Jayakumar designated as MD & CEO of BOB
As a part of reforming public banking industry Former managing director and chief executive officer (CEO) of VBHC Value Homes Pvt. Ltd PS Jayakumar has been designated as managing director (MD) and CEO of Bank of Baroda (BoB) headquartered at Mumbai.
He is taking up his new assignment when the bank is struggling with worst situation of an alleged fraud and black money transactions worth over Rs 6,000 crore.
- Mr. Jayakumar is a Chartered Accountant by qualification and holds a PG diploma in business management from XLRI, Jamshedpur.
- He is serving Citigroup from 23 years in India and Singapore
Udai Kumar appointed interim MD & CEO of MSEI
Udai Kumar is designated as the interim Chief Executive and Managing Director of Metropolitan Stock Exchange of India Ltd. as a succeedor of Saurabh Sarkar who resigned from MSEI to look for better opportunities.
(MSEI Chairman – Thomas Mathew T)
Udai Kumar is the managing director of Metropolitan Clearing Corporation of India Ltd (MCCIL) formerly known as MCX-SX Clearing Corporation Ltd (MCX-SXCCL).
- Earlier MSEI was known as MCX Stock Exchange Ltd (MCX-SX)
- MSEI is headquartered at Mumbai
- MCCIL is the exchange’s arm for Clearing and Settlement of trades
Bodybuilder Shweta Rathore won silver in Asian championship
Shweta Rathore became the first Indian female bodybuilder to win a silver medal in the Women’s Fitness Physique category during 49th Asian Bodybuilding and Physique Championship 2015 held in Uzbekistan.
- Shweta is an engineer by qualification
- With this achievement she qualified for the World Championship that to be held in Thailand in November
- Shweta is on Judge Panel of Body power Expo 2015 and runs an academy “Fitness Forever”.
International Day for Disaster Reduction
October 13 is celebrated as the International Day for Disaster Reduction to raise awareness among people and communities about the importance of DRR (Disaster Risk Reduction).
THEME – Knowledge for Life
- In 2009 UN General Assembly fixed October 13 as its official date.
- This day teaches people about technical expertise with knowledge that can save the precious lives like scientific knowledge is generated by meteorologists and local knowledge can be generated through preparedness.
- Knowledge of early warning signals in nature can play a vital role to mitigate the impact of disaster like droughts, heat waves, storms and floods.