As a part of ongoing visit to West Asia, President Pranab Mukherjee visited Palestine from Oct 12 – Oct 13. With this visit he became the first Indian President to visit Palestine.
- During visit the President held meeting and interaction with Palestinian counterpart Mahmoud Abbas and were having talks regarding political interaction, deeper economic engagement and academic collaboration and wider cultural contacts.
Here are important highlights of visit:
BUDGETARY SUPPORT FROM INDIA
India offers economic and political support of $5 million to Palestine.
ANNOUNCEMENTS OF PROJECTS
For capacity building in the Palestinian territories both nations announced five projects of $17.79 million. The projects include a
- $12 million techno park
- $4.5 million Palestine Institute for Diplomacy
- $1 million India-Palestine Centre for Excellence in Gaza.
- Number of seats for Palestinians under the Indian and Economic Cooperation Program moved up to 100
- Scholarships provided to students to study in Indian universities will raise up to 25 from 10
Al-Quds University conferred Honorary Doctorate to Shri Pranab Mukherjee and also named him as “a valiant knight of peace” during the ceremony held in Ramallah.
- President announced the setting up of an India-Chair in the Al Quds University.
ROAD IN RAMALLAH NAMED AFTER PRESIDENT
The Sharia-e-Al-hind (India road) and Midan-e-Al-hind (India roundabout) in Ramallah is named after Pranab Mukherjee which reflects the strong bonding between two nations.
Apart from above Shri Pranab Mukherjee also inaugurate the Jawaharlal Nehru Secondary School for Boys in Abu Dees.
Currently India is having seven Vocational Training Centres in Palestine.
Palestine capital – Ramallah
Palestine currency – Israeli new shekel, Jordanian dinars
Palestine PM – Rami Hamdallah
Palestine President – Mahmoud Abbas