Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
PM lays foundation stone for 4th container terminal of Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has laid the foundation stone of fourth terminal Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) in Mumbai on 11th October 2015.
- Project is being executed by : Bharat Mumbai Container Terminal, a subsidiary of Port of Singapore.
- The Project will be done in two phases.And it requires an investment of Rs 4,719 crore and Rs 3,196 crore, for the first and second phases respectively.And the project is expected to be completed in 2017.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust is in 31st position globally.
Mission Abaas launched in Odisha to provide affordable houses to urban poor
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on 2nd October 2015 launched the Abas Scheme.
Aim : To provide affordable houses along with basic amenities to slum dwellers and economically weaker section people living in urban areas.
Components of the Mission
- Slum redevelopment
- Affordable housing through interest subvention
- Rental housing for migrants
- Housing for urban destitute and homeless.
Mizoram govt to abolish MAMCO
- Mizoram govt has recommended to abolish the Mizoram Agriculture Marketing Corporation (MAMCO) by the the recommendations of the Deloitte and Touche India Pvt Limited.
- The state cabinet has made decision to abolish three PSUs – the MAMCO, the Zoram Electronics Development Corporation (ZENICS) and the Zoram Handloom and Handicraft Corporation (ZOHANCO).
- The Mizoram Food and Allied Industries Corporation (MIFCO) would be privatised and the Zoram Industrial Development Corporation (ZIDCO) would be restructured.
Jioji Konrote elected as Fiji’s President
- On 12th October 2015 Jioji Konousi Konrote(the minister for employment, productivity and industrial relations) elected as the President of Fiji.The elected President got 31 Votes.
- Nominated By : The ruling FijiFirst party
- Opposition Candidate – Ratu Epeli Ganilau (got 14 votes)
- As per Fiji’s constitution, the prime minister and leader of the opposition each submit a presidential candidate to the speaker of parliament, who then announces the nominees to MPs before the parliament decides on the Pacific island country’s next president with a majority vote.
Banking & Finance
Yes Bank gets RBI nod for mutual fund, AMC and trustee company
- Yes Bank has got the permission of RBI to sponsor a mutual fund and also to set up an asset management company (AMC) and a trustee company.
- Asset management companies and trustee companies will be wholly owned subsidiaries of Yes Bank.
PTC India ties up with Solar Energy Corp for solar power trade
- PTC India inked a pact with SECI for sale and purchase of power generated from 3,000-mw solar projects for a full 25 years from commercial operation date of each of the project/facility to state utilities
- SECI – Solar Energy Corporation of India
- PTC India CMD – Deepak Amitabh
Acquisitions & Mergers
Telenor names Sharad Mehrotra as new India CEO
- New CEO of Telenor for India Operations – Sharad Mehrotra
- Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer in Telenor Group – Vivek Sood
- .Both appointments will be effective from November 2, 2015.
M D Ranganath to take charge as Infosys CFO as Rajiv Bansal quits
- Chief Financial Officer and Key Managerial Personnel Of Infosys – M D Ranganath from 12 th October 2015
- M D Ranganath replaces Rajiv Bansal
- Rajiv Bansal will continue as an advisor to the CEO and the Board upto 31st December 2015
Infosys appoints Krish Shankar head of global HR
- Infosys head of Global HR – Krish Shankar(Head of human resources at Philips India Ltd)
RADM Ravneet Singh, NM Assumes Command of Western Fleet of Indian Navy
- On 12th October 2015 Rear Admiral Ravneet Singh assumed command of the ‘Sword Arm’ of the Indian Navy as the Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet (FOCWF) at sea on board INS Viraat.
- The Flag Officer hails from Jalandhar, Punjab and was commissioned in the Indian Navy on 01 Jul 1983. The Flag Officer has commanded destroyers Ranvijay and Ranvir as well as frigate Himgiri.
Alkesh Sharma appointed CEO, MD of Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor Development Corporation
- On 12th October 2015 Alkesh Sharma (IAS Officer)was appointed as the CEO and MD of DMICDC.
- DMICDC – Delhi-Mumbai Industrial Corridor Development Corporation
- Developing new industrial cities as smart cities by combining next generation technologies across the infrastructure sectors is the aim of Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor.
Punjab National Bank wins Beighton Cup of Hockey
- On 11th October 2015 Punjab National Bank won the Beighton cup of Hockey by defeating Indian Oil Corporation
- The best player award given to PNB goalkeeper Jasbir Singh and the Fairplay Trophy was handed to Army XI.
Lewis Hamilton wins 2015 Russian Grand Prix of F1
- 2015 Russian Grand Prix title of Formula One was won by Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain.
- Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel is the runner-up
Hindutva leader Himani Savarkar passes away
- Former President of Akhil Bharatiya Hindu Mahasabha Himani Savarkar died on 11th october 2015 in Pune.She was a noted pro-hindutva Leader.
Books & Authors
Kasuri launch the book ‘Neither a Hawk nor a Dove: An Insider’s Account of Pakistan’s Foreign Policy’
- The author of the book “Neither a Hawk nor a Dove: An Insider’s Account of Pakistan’s Foreign Policy “ is Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri.
- The launching of the book held held at Mumbai on 12th october 2015
- Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri was the former foreign minister of Pakistan
World Arthritis Day 2015
- World Arthritis day is celebrated on 12th October 2015 globally.
- First Observed : 1996 by Arthritis Rheumatism International
- Aim : To raise awareness of the condition and make sure that sufferers and caregivers know all the support and help that is available to them.
- Theme of 2015 : It’s in your hands, take action’.