Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
- Read Our Current Affairs Today
- Try Our Daily Current Affairs Quiz
Try Our Current Affairs Quiz – July 13 2015
**Blue Heading are Detailed News, Click the News to Read More**
Hartek Power commissions 3 substations worth Rs 220 cr
- Hartek Power, an engineering firm, has commissioned three substations for solar power projects worth about Rs 220 crore in Punjab and Chhattisgarh during April-June this year.
- Also, the company has so far been able to commission substations for 130-MW solar power projects worth about Rs 700 crore.
- Hartek Power is operating projects in 17 states across the country and have constructed more than 100 substations in the past seven years.
Miss Oklahoma Olivia Jordan crowned Miss USA 2015
- Miss Oklahoma, Olivia Jordan, won big at the 2015 Miss USA pageant on Sunday, July 12, beating out 50 women to win the crown.
- Jordan, 26, made it through the fierce rounds of the competition, sliding into the Top 15 after preliminary events and captivating viewers as she worked it in the live show’s bikini and evening gown rounds.
- The Oklahoma native impressed during the question portion of the competition, which was held in Baton Rouge, La. She spoke first on the issue of race relations in the United States, stressing the need for improved dynamics, and later went on to name Oprah and Harriet Tubman as two women she would like to see on the $10 bill.
- Jordan was followed in the top five by first runner-up Miss Texas Ylianna Guerra, second runner-up Miss Rhode Island Anea Garcia, third runner-up Miss Nevada Brittany McGowan, and fourth runner-up Miss Maryland Mamé Adjei.
Buddha In A Traffic Jam’ wins best original screenplay award at the Madrid Film Festival
- Vivek Agnihotri’s political irony “Buddha In A Traffic Jam” won the Best Original Screenplay in a foreign language award at the Madrid International Film Festival.
- This film was also nominated for two categories viz Best Foreign Language Film and Best Lead Actress in a foreign language film for actress Mahie Gill.
Viacom18 launches digital biz, appoints Gaurav Gandhi as COO
- Viacom18 has launched its new digital business Viacom18 Digital Ventures.
- This will bridge traditional broadcasting and digital innovation.
- The company has named Gaurav Gandhi as its Chief Operating Officer. He has earlier worked as Group Chief Operating Officer at IndiaCast Media Distribution (a TV18 & Viacom18 venture).
Lt Gen MMS Rai to be next Vice-Chief of Army
- Lt Gen Man Mohan Singh Rai has been appointed as the next Vice-Chief of the Indian Army.
- He is presently posted as the Eastern Army Commander at Kolkata.
- He will replace Lt Gen Philip Campose who will retire on 31 July.
Banking & Finance
SBI partners with bankbazaar.com
- State Bank of India (SBI), the largest bank in India, has partnered online financial product aggregator ‘bankbazaar.com’ along with the bank’s subsidiary SBI CAP Securities.
- Under this arrangement, the bank will be able to display its home loan products on bankbazaar.com, generate leads and provide door-step delivery, thus improving the response time. Bankbazaar.com offers end to end solutions to the home loan seekers from getting the customised quotes, comparison of the offers and submission of online application to SBI
- This partnership will help the bank to provide yet another online platform to the prospective tech savvy home loan borrowers to apply for SBI Home Loans online. iv. The tie up with bankbazaar.com also highlights SBI’s strategy to augment its Home Loan portfolio by leveraging digital channels and increasing its presence in the digital/online space, it added.
Science & Technology
India has test-fired its indigenously developed anti-tank guided missile NAG
- The test-fire of India’s indigenously developed Nag anti-tank guided missile was successful from a helicopter at a firing range in Jaisalmer in Rajasthan.
- Three-round trial of helicopter-launched Nag (HeliNa) missile were conducted at the Chandhan firing range.
- HeliNa is a helicopter-launched version of Nag and can hit a target up to 7 km.
- It has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) under the Integrated Guided Missile Development Programme (IGMDP).
Indian wrestlers win 16 medals at Junior Asian championship
Indian wrestlers have won 16 medals, including 3 gold, at the Junior Asian Freestyle, Greeco-Roman and Female Wrestling championshipat Nay Pyi Taw in Myanmar.
Men’s Freestyle category: The Indians claimed a total of eight medals with bagging the
- Gold: Ravi Kumar in 55kg division.
- Silver: Bharat Patil (50kg) and Vikas (66kg)
- Bronze: Amit (60kg), Dinesh (74kg), Parveen (84kg), Rubal Jeet (96kg) and Manjeet (120kg)
- Gold: Ravinder (60kg) and Mehar Singh (120kg)
- Silver: Manish (55kg)
- Bronze: Rahul (84kg)
Female Wrestling category:
- Silver – Sarita (59kg)
- Bronze – Manisha (63kg), Divya Kakran (67kg) and Pooja (72kg).
BCCI suspends Mumbai player Hiken Shah for corruption in IPL
- BCCI has suspended Hiken Shah from playing cricket for violating the BCCI’s Anti-Corruption Code for participants.
- The left hander has played 32 Ranji Trophy matches for Mumbai, four for Jammu & Kashmir and one for West Zone.
- Stating the reason for suspension, BCCI said that Hiken Shah made a corrupt approach to one of his colleagues from first-class cricket, who is also a member of one of the IPL teams.
Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata dies
- Japanese videogame maker Nintendo Co Ltd’s CEO and President, Satoru Iwata has died. He was 55.
- Iwata has been a director at Nintendo since 2000, and was appointed president in 2002. He has also acted as CEO of the U.S. unit since 2013.