Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
**Blue Heading are Detailed News, Click the News to Read More**
- Union Cabinet gives nod to Consumer protection Bill 2015
- Spices Board launches Subsidy Scheme to boost production and export
India to host 2nd Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC)
India to host 2nd Forum for India-Pacific Islands Cooperation (FIPIC), were heads of 14 island nations from Indo-Pacific oceanic region will be attending in Jaipur, Rajasthan on AUGUST 21, 2015.
- The FIPIC meeting will give way for agreements in various potential areas between India and these nations. It will include sectors such as agriculture, fisheries, food processing, solar energy, e-networks for coordination in tele-education and tele-medicine.
- It will also include space cooperation and climate change.
- It is the first step of India towards greater engagement with the Indo-Pacific oceanic region.
- It could also help counter the growing Chinese influence in this oceanic region.
Indo-UK Bilateral Air Exercise Indradhanush concluded
Indo-UK bilateral Air Exercise between Indian Air Force (IAF) and British Royal Air Forces (RAF) named INDRADHANUSH started in Britain on 21 July 2015. It was a 10 day exercise of different element of the IAF contingent operated from separate RAF bases concluded.
- The SUKHOIS operated from Corningby, combat support elements from Brize Norton and the GARUD special forces from Hunnington.
- The main objective of this exercise was to enhance “mutual operational understanding” between the IAF and RAF.
- These two air forces also operate common combat support platforms, namely the Globe master and the Super Hercules.
Appointments & Resigns
Ved Prakash Mahawar takes charge as Director (Onshore) at ONGC
VED PRAKASH MAHAWAR takes charge as Director (Onshore) of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC). He will be directly looking after all the onshore operations spread across the country which significantly contribute towards ONGCs overall physical performance.
- MAHAWAR has 33 years of vast experience of managing drilling and operational functions, holding various key positions across vast spectrum of oil field activities.
- He acted as Executive Director-Asset Manager in Tripura Asset of ONGC. Under his leadership, Tripura Asset saw increase in gas production by more than two folds.
- He is known as the first Sub-Sea Engineer of ONGC.
- Mahawar started career with ONGC as Drilling Engineer in 1982.
Acquisitions & Mergers
Yahoo acquires style-tip specialist Polyvore
Yahoo Inc announced in to acquire POLYVORE, an 8 year old startup that specializes in connecting merchants with consumers browsing for ideas on clothing, health, beauty and home decor products on AUGUST 1, 2015.
- Yahoo plans to tap into Polyvore’s taste-making skills and loyal consumer following to sell more ads in its digital magazines focusing on style and beauty.
- Financial terms for acquisition of Polyvore aren’t being yet disclosed.
- (NASDAQ:YHOO)’s acquiring style-tip specialist Polyvore in its most recent attempt to turn out to be a more fashionable place to advertise.
- Good Housekeeping magazine once dubbed the service a “fashionist’s playground”.
India women’s team wins silver in World Archery Championship
The Indian women’s archery team comprising of Deepika Kumari, Laxmirani Majhi and Rimil Buriuly has to settle with silver medal who were defeated by Russian team comprising Inna Stepanova, Ksenia Perova and Tuyana Dashidorzhieva in World Archery Championship in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Russian team clinched the gold medal in a nerve-wracking tie-breaker which ended 28-27.
- It was India’s second silver medal in the World Championship as archer RAJAT CHAUHAN has won silver medal in the World Archery Championships in the compound category on August 1, 2015.
- The World Archery Federation is the governing body of the sport of archery based in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- It is composed of 156 national federations and other archery associations, and is recognized by the International Olympic Committee.
Sania Mirza recommended for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna 2015
Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports confirmed that Indian Tennis star and Wimbledon doubles champion SANIA MIRZA name has been recommended for the RAJIV GANDHI KHEL RATNA 2015 on AUGUST 1, 2015.
- The final decision on this matter will be taken by the Awards Committee.
- Sania is among the 12 contenders in race for the prestigious award, including Indian Hockey captain Sardara Singh, Squash player Dipika Pallikal, Discus thrower Vikas Gowda, Sprinter Tintu Luka and Archer Abhishek Verma. The Ministry usedclause 5.3 under the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award Scheme to nominate Sania.
- Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is India’s highest honour given for achievement in sports given by Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- It carries a medal, scroll of honor and monetary award of 7.5 lakh rupees.
Joshna Chinappa wins Victorian Open squash title
Indian female squash player JOSHNA CHINAPPA won the Women’s SQUASH TITLE in the US 15,000 dollars Victorian Open Women’s Squash Association (WSA) event in Melbourne, Australia on AUGUST 2, 2015.
- She defeated Line Hansen, the second seed from Denmark.
- It was her 10th WSA title.
- The 28-year-old Joshna Chinappa had won her last WSA title in the Richmond Open in April last year.
- Ryan Cuskelly of Australia won the the men’s title by defeating Greg Lobban of Scotland.
- The WSA World Tour involved over 100 tournaments annually all over the globe.
- Over 250 players were registered with the WSA and rankings are updated monthly based on player’s performances.
US country singer Lynn Anderson passes away
- Multi-award winning American country music singer Lynn Rene Anderson died of a heart attack at a hospital in Nashville at 67.She is also known as “The Great Lady of Country Music”
- Anderson started her career of country music in 1960’s.She got many awards in her 40 years career like one Grammy award,one American Music award, two academy music awards and one Billboard Award.
- She is most popular and successful country singer in 1970’s.She is famous for her country pop,world wide mega hit (I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden.Anderson born on September 26th ,1947 and died on 30th July 2015.
Click here to view: Current Affairs August 2015