Dear Readers, We cover some important news in Current Affairs Today Section, which are not covered in Daily Detailed News, More Current Affairs coverage will help you to Score Good Marks in Competitive Exam.
**Blue Heading are Detailed News, Click the News to Read More**
Dial 138 for medical emergency on train
MANOJ SINHA, Minister of State for Railways said that the train passengers can now contact helpline number “138” through their mobile phones in case of medical emergency and all passenger trains will be provided with First Aid Boxes containing essential drugs, medicines and dressing materials.
- The Station Masters will have the details of doctors, clinics and hospitals, both Government and Private, in the vicinity of the station, so that their services could also be availed, in emergencies.
- Trains can also make unscheduled halts, if necessary, at the stations en-route in emergencies.
- The front line staff deployed on trains will be trained in rendering First Aid.
138 will be printed at the front of the reserved (Passenger Reserved System (PRS)) as well as unreserved train tickets(Unreserved Train System (UTS)).
Appointments & Resigns
LIC chief SK Roy elected Chairman of apex body of insurers
Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) elected S.K. ROY as chairman of the Life Insurance Council, the apex industry body of insurers in the country. He will be heading the three members Executive Committee (EC).
- S.K Roy was elected among all the 24 members of the Council .
- Tarun Chugh (PNB Met Life), Anup Rau (Reliance Life) and Sandeep Ghosh (Bharti AXA) were the three members of the EC.
- Life Insurance Council has representatives from the 24 insurance companies, is a forum that connects the various stakeholders of the sector which develops and coordinates all discussions between the Government, regulatory body and the public.
Lt Gen MMS Rai takes over as the new vice chief of Army staff
- Lt Gen MMS Rai is new vice chief of Army staff by succeeding Lt Gen Philip Campose who retired after fourty years of service.
- MMS Rai is a General officer is a third generation officer in the Indian army and commissioned into the corps of Enginners on 15 Dec 1976.
- Rai has a rich operational and command experience and has commanded and armoured Engineer regiment.Before his appointment as Eastern Army Commander ,he was chief of staff of Nothern command at udhampur.
Ganga Ram Agarwal appointed new Railway Board Secretary
- Railway official Ganga Ram Agarwal has been appointed as new secretary of Railway board by replacing PC Gajbhiye who retired from his post.
- Before he is appointed as railway board secretary he worked as a chief electrical Engineer in Central Railway an officer of Indian Railway Serives of Electrical Engineering(IRSEE).
- Railway board founded on 16th april 1853 and is a apex body of Indian Railways.
Folger appointed MD, CEO of Mercedes-Benz India
- Mercedes-Benz appointed Roland S Floger as managing Director and CEO of its Indian operations succeeding Eberhard Kern.Folger will be heading Mercedes-Benz India from October 1st 2015.
- Before Folger is positioned in sales departments for Mercedes-Benz passenger cars and commercial vehicle with responsibility .
- He was even appointed as vice-president for sales,marketing .He has been president&CEO of Mercedes-Benz Malaysia since 2011 and he was part of the team that introduced the first M-class in the USA.
Banking & Finance
Science & Technology
‘Frisbee’ officially recognized as an Olympic sport by the IOC
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has officially announced the recognition of FRISBEE, one of the disc sports of World Flying Disc Federation (WFDF) as Olympic sport at the 128th Session in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on AUGUST 2, 2015.
- The WFDF governs several disc-based activities, including Ultimate Frisbee, Disc Golf and Freestyle.
- WFDF President Robert Nob Rauch said that this was an incredible milestone in the 30-year history of WFDF which was launched in August 1985.
- WFDF represents 65 member associations in 62 countries and holds major World Championships in Ultimate Frisbee, Beach Ultimate, Guts, Disc Golf, Freestyle and Field events regularly in Open, Women’s and Mixed divisions of all age categories.
Rajat Chauhan bags historic silver in World Archery Championship
- Twenty –year old Rajat Chauhan of Rajasthan won silver in World Archery Championship by defeating Stephan Hansen of Denmark in final match.
- Chauhan is the first Indian senior level archer to get an individual medal at World Championships at Copenhagen
- In 2014 Asian Games he won Gold Medal.India opened account in World Archery Championship by chauhan winning silver medal where India before had never won any individual medal in World Archery Championship
Former MP minister Jagannath Singh passes away
- Former minister of Madhya Pradesh and senior BJP leader Jagannath singh passed away.he was 69.He is suffering from brain Hemorrhage from few days back .
- Singh was first elected as an MLA in 1977 from Devsar and elected as MLA for four times ,twice as lok sabha member from sidhi and once as Rajya Sabha member.
- He worked as a labour minister in the BJP government.
Click here to view: Current Affairs August 2015